New PC / amp / speaker setup, help needed with positioning!

mrblitz

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

I have been a member/lurker here for a few years but haven't ever really post. Anyway...I have recently finished setting up a PC for music listening in my study. Some of the components I already had and some I have bought recently. Anyway, once all set up I began some listening using JRiver Media Player and FLAC files.

All I can say is I am very diappointed with the sound I am getting
sad.png

I'm almost certain this is because of the position of the speakers in relation to me. As you can see in the photo, the speakers are either side of the computer desk and are 6 feet apart (that's as close together as they'll go) When sitting in the chair at the desk I am only 4 feet from each speaker. I cannot move the desk any further back into the room.

At first listen the problems were a lack of bass, and a very harsh treble which was almost painful to my ears. I moved the speakers closer to the back wall (they are now 8 inches from the wall) and this has helped improve the bass a bit. Toeing the speakers in towards the listening position really accentuates the treble so they are now facing straight forward. However there is still a muddied bottom end and quite a harsh treble, in short they sound pretty awful.

Can anyone make any suggestions to improve the situation given the limitations of the room?

Thank you!

2013-03-091542_zps5f5e7581.jpg

Set up is as follows:

Asus Xonar D2 soundcard

Beresford Caiman with Gator mod

Rega Brio-R amp

B&W 385 speakers

Alpha stands

QED Performance digital coax cable

Audioquest flx/slip 14/4 speaker cable

Atlas Element RCA cable

A few assorted thoughts, as its hard to diagnose at a distance:-

1. the room looks like it has a lot of hard surfaces, and the sloping ceiling with Veluxs. Is the floor carpeted or can you put a rug on the floor (and walls)? Anything to dampen down reflection in fact.

2. if any of the kit is new, it may still be running in.

3. are you playing something better than MP3s?

4. any chance the speakers are out of phase?

5. can you check quality via headphones or other gear in the house?

6. i can't quite see what item is on what, but try moving amp and DAC further apart, and check mains leads are away from signal leads.

Good luck!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Another factor is you're sitting too close to a pair of speakers that are not designed to be near-field monitors. Also if you're firing them across the shortest length of the room, bass notes might not have the space to develop. The wavelength of a 100Hz tone is just over 3m, so if you're not getting at least a 3m clearance to the wall behind you, it's bouncing off a surface before it's even completed one full cycle.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
How long have you had the speakers?

Yes check the settings, some of the settings are more for mp3 players than hifi. Yes you could be too close, you may want to look at something like the Kef active speakers which are £600 or various others that are designed more for computer listening or near field like Behringer.

mrblitz

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi! Thank you all for your comments and advice, sorry it's taken me a few days to reply.

nopiano said:
A few assorted thoughts, as its hard to diagnose at a distance:-

1. the room looks like it has a lot of hard surfaces, and the sloping ceiling with Veluxs. Is the floor carpeted or can you put a rug on the floor (and walls)? Anything to dampen down reflection in fact.

2. if any of the kit is new, it may still be running in.

3. are you playing something better than MP3s?

4. any chance the speakers are out of phase?

5. can you check quality via headphones or other gear in the house?

6. i can't quite see what item is on what, but try moving amp and DAC further apart, and check mains leads are away from signal leads.

Good luck!

Nopiano...

1. Yes the room does have a lot of hard surfaces and few soft furnishings. The floor is carpetted though.

2. The amp is new so that may still be burning in. I've had the DAC a while though and the speakers were part of a cinema system previously so I don't think burn-in is an issue there.

3. I'm playing only FLAC files though JRiver media centre using ASIO.

4. I've checked the phase of the speakers using an online test and they're correct.

5. The sound I get through headphones is better but the headphones are connected to the DAC (the amp doesn't have a headphones output

6. The Amp and DAC are side by side on an old isolation platform I had. Should they be further apart than that? I have tried to separate mains and signal leads as far as possible.

MajorFubar said:
Another factor is you're sitting too close to a pair of speakers that are not designed to be near-field monitors. Also if you're firing them across the shortest length of the room, bass notes might not have the space to develop. The wavelength of a 100Hz tone is just over 3m, so if you're not getting at least a 3m clearance to the wall behind you, it's bouncing off a surface before it's even completed one full cycle.

Thanks MajorFubar. I am increasingly worried that this is the problem :cry: The speakers are firing down the longest length of the room (almost exactly 3 metres as it happens!) but I know I am sitting far too close to them. I just can't move any further away from them for practical reasons.

BigH said:
How long have you had the speakers?

Yes check the settings, some of the settings are more for mp3 players than hifi. Yes you could be too close, you may want to look at something like the Kef active speakers which are £600 or various others that are designed more for computer listening or near field like Behringer.

BigH - I've spent a long time playing around with the settings in JRiver and am now using the highest settings they recommend (ASIO / high bit rates / FLAC files etc. The speakers are about 3 years old, and are from an ex-home cinema set up. I know I'm too close but I really don't want to have to replace the B&Ws :mad: Are you saying that I should be using studio monitor-type speakers instead? Are any of the near-field options considered "audiophile" quality? I don't know if the major speaker brands that WHF review make this type of speaker do they?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
mrblitz said:
Are any of the near-field options considered "audiophile" quality? I don't know if the major speaker brands that WHF review make this type of speaker do they?

Yes many of them are used in studios for checking the sound quality/mix on recordings. I have noticed on my hifi speakers they sound rubbish if close to them.

How do yours sound at other end of room?

I really think the nearness is your problem and something like some Behringers actives would be more suitable, they are about £170 a pair.

mrblitz

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
There's no question they sound better further away where I can toe them in properly.

As I've recently invested in the Rega amp I'd rather buy passive near-field speakers though if possible. Can anyone recommend any good passive models?

TRENDING THREADS