New Naim Atom - Been and had a listen / play

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Comming from a nait xs,cd5i mkii,arcam ir dac /chromecast audio /amazon TV box........my one box superuniti leaves that little lot trailing behind.....it's not such a compromise as one might think...naim has been doing the all in one thing for a good number of years now and are becoming the masters at it.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Its a CD player, amp and streamer in one box, with ability to play off a nas and netowork,,and music streaming services supported by naim too. Also internet radio.
you wouldn't get comparable quality plugging in jittery circuits of an iPhone into this unit,

An uninformed remark with no supporting evidence.

also a chromecast audio too for same reason. The functionality of the cca is to use existing apps on your devices, whereas with naim you use their app for better intergrated functionality.

if you plugged this unit into a really decent hi fi and used its streamer functionability it would easily outclass a chromecast audio.

It'd be interesting to do a blind testing and see if what you say is true, or as I suspect, nonsense.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
The problem with this sort of device is that, at that price, it tends to have a 'cooking' naim amp so with its premium brand, lots of other devices will more than outcompete it at that price.

Yet again, you make remarks on a unit you have not even listened to. I seem to recall you were quite happy to characterise the Arcam Solo Music/Movie as having a £200-300 amp, and yet you had never even used it. Why let ignorance get in the way of expressing an opinion?

Also the power output is quite modest so for lots of dynamics in music for bigger speakers like those kef r700 (which i don't really rate - not as balanced and detailed as likes of similar pro ac, pmc, spendor speakers for same money). So if you wanted to get best possible out of it, you wouldn't really pair it with big spekers like the kefs with the bigger power needed, but smaller speakers, which makes the naim less flexible.

im sure you could get a really good streamer (like the node 2) and pair it with a really good analogue amp (or one with a dac) from likes of rega, Cyrus (e.g. One) , musical fidelity and the whole system would sound better than the naim unit, at similar price. Plus a cheap cd transport and if sound quality is the main aim, but you don't like look of boxes, conceal them in some really nice furniture.

the problem with these units for me, is that whenever you see a premium brand do an all in one type thing, I'm just thinking compromise, compromise. And you pay for that compromise too. And if it's just to show it off for the sake of sound quality, which you are spending that money for in the first plac, why buy it.

You really do need to listen to something before you make proclamations. The numerous reviews and user comments I have read contradict your statements. And since you have never tried them, your comments have zero value.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
In a way comparing one box solutions to multi box is deafeating the point of the object.

You pay a premium for the single box, really nice screen, lovely volume *** nicest one ever seen that includes £100k steinway ***.
And normally you get all that but you expect poor sound.

But I didn't get that yesterday I got good sound. Really compelling very good soundstage, very good dynamics and ok bass.

Shows you can use the atom with bigger speakers.
Bigger more efficient speakers make more sense than small inefficient ones.

Lindsayt will agree with me there i feel

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Leif said:
Its a CD player, amp and streamer in one box, with ability to play off a nas and netowork,,and music streaming services supported by naim too. Also internet radio.
you wouldn't get comparable quality plugging in jittery circuits of an iPhone into this unit,

An uninformed remark with no supporting evidence.

also a chromecast audio too for same reason. The functionality of the cca is to use existing apps on your devices, whereas with naim you use their app for better intergrated functionality.

if you plugged this unit into a really decent hi fi and used its streamer functionability it would easily outclass a chromecast audio.

It'd be interesting to do a blind testing and see if what you say is true, or as I suspect, nonsense.

its based on what is real world. You'd be struggling to find anyone to agree that the streaming parts of an iPhone will compete with a dedicated streaming section of that naim, with right speakers, which is a proprietary hi fi device. I've got a cca and I'd take that double blind with you. Are you seriously and credibly putting a £30 'puck' in the cca, into the same catergory as streaming components many many times the price. Over a factor of 10, then you think it's nonsense. Why did you buy your pmc's in the first place if you think this. why not go down to maplin and pick up some real £20 budget ones?

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Naim needs to work really hard on their Android app, which is terrible. You can't (or should't) charge people these kind of prices and have an app working like that.

No reference on the review. Go figure.

rainsoothe

Mark Rose-Smith said:
This could get very expensive.lol.

Although your current set up can't really be described as budget either........272/250 dr is where the party really starts,...so I'm led to believe . probably my end game system if I could ever afford it.lol.

+1 lol. For the record, though, I heard the 272 with nonDR200 (200 dr wouldn't make a differene, as the DR in the 200 is only for their preamps), and the 272 would be indeed the very-long-term upgrade for my system, instead of the 250DR. Also, some on the naim forums even use the 272 with nap100 and are so happy with it.

I'm also a fan of the Superuniti, although some Naimees don't like it because it's not as aggressive as some Naim amps (I'm not a fan of the agressive Naim amps :) )

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Leif said:
The problem with this sort of device is that, at that price, it tends to have a 'cooking' naim amp so with its premium brand, lots of other devices will more than outcompete it at that price.

Yet again, you make remarks on a unit you have not even listened to. I seem to recall you were quite happy to characterise the Arcam Solo Music/Movie as having a £200-300 amp, and yet you had never even used it. Why let ignorance get in the way of expressing an opinion?

Also the power output is quite modest so for lots of dynamics in music for bigger speakers like those kef r700 (which i don't really rate - not as balanced and detailed as likes of similar pro ac, pmc, spendor speakers for same money). So if you wanted to get best possible out of it, you wouldn't really pair it with big spekers like the kefs with the bigger power needed, but smaller speakers, which makes the naim less flexible.

im sure you could get a really good streamer (like the node 2) and pair it with a really good analogue amp (or one with a dac) from likes of rega, Cyrus (e.g. One) , musical fidelity and the whole system would sound better than the naim unit, at similar price. Plus a cheap cd transport and if sound quality is the main aim, but you don't like look of boxes, conceal them in some really nice furniture.

the problem with these units for me, is that whenever you see a premium brand do an all in one type thing, I'm just thinking compromise, compromise. And you pay for that compromise too. And if it's just to show it off for the sake of sound quality, which you are spending that money for in the first plac, why buy it.

You really do need to listen to something before you make proclamations. The numerous reviews and user comments I have read contradict your statements. And since you have never tried them, your comments have zero value.

I know what is real world from listening to lots of hi fi, and that the value of seperates is something which can't be shouted down, as many people will agree too. I've heard the uniti qute 2 (previous model) and they don't favour well with a dedicated amp with bigger power output, and seperate streamer, at this type of price. I do think you get lots more with combined units as you spend more. E.g. Musical fidelity all in one, but you pay for it. I also know what's possible from 40 watts comparable to around 100 with similar distortion figures, and similar quality amps, and I know what would be better in a system for dynamics in this respect. And I've had 23s (same drivers as 21) with similar power to that naim, and they went up very well in performance with lots more quality power. Pmc's like power and improve a lot with amp upgrades!

You cant expect an all in one unit to outperform seperates that have these better virtues but you pay for this privilege with naim. But I don't agree that naim is not decent, it's very decent. But for speakers like the 21s that Mark has, they need power as I say. partnering with more value powerful amps and a decent pre and budget streamer, I'd get more out of them. With naim you get very decent sound, but you have to be spending lots more to out compete similar brands that do it as well and at better value - brands like musical fidelity, Cyrus, rega.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to work on the basis that a seperates all in one unit can perform as well as Picking the best amps for the money and then bolting on modest streaming? I'd guarantee that I could go head to head with you with your arcam solo and pick Amps and sources for the same price, that improve the sq of your system no end and with your pmc twenty 21. Speak to dale at fanthorpes and he will say the same too. If it's not all about sq for you and looks, then fine, but don't expect to think you can uncompromisingly get same sq with your solo unit on sq, as you can with dedicated hi fi amps and a streamer at same price. You just can't.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
its based on what is real world.

Nope. Do a proper a blind testing. Then come back.

You'd be struggling to find anyone to agree that the streaming parts of an iPhone will compete with a dedicated streaming section of that naim, with right speakers, which is a proprietary hi fi device. I've got a cca and I'd take that double blind with you. Are you seriously and credibly putting a £30 'puck' in the cca, into the same catergory as streaming components many many times the price. Over a factor of 10, then you think it's nonsense.

Well we all know that audiophile products are always superior to non-audiophile products costing a fraction of the price don't we? *crazy*

Why did you buy your pmc's in the first place if you think this. why not go down to maplin and pick up some real £20 budget ones?

I kept telling you to read the link I gave you, but you never did. Clearly you did not read Davedotco's link either. Had you done so, you'd have learnt the answer to your question.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Leif said:

I know what is real world from listening to lots of hi fi, and that the value of seperates is something which can't be shouted down, as many people will agree too. I've heard the uniti qute 2 (previous model) and they don't favour well with a dedicated amp with bigger power output, and seperate streamer, at this type of price. I do think you get lots more with combined units as you spend more. E.g. Musical fidelity all in one, but you pay for it. I also know what's possible from 40 watts comparable to around 100 with similar distortion figures, and similar quality amps, and I know what would be better in a system for dynamics in this respect. And I've had 23s (same drivers as 21) with similar power to that naim, and they went up very well in performance with lots more quality power. Pmc's like power and improve a lot with amp upgrades!

You cant expect an all in one unit to outperform seperates that have these better virtues but you pay for this privilege with naim. But I don't agree that naim is not decent, it's very decent. But for speakers like the 21s that Mark has, they need power as I say. partnering with more value powerful amps and a decent pre and budget streamer, I'd get more out of them. With naim you get very decent sound, but you have to be spending lots more to out compete similar brands that do it as well and at better value - brands like musical fidelity, Cyrus, rega.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to work on the basis that a seperates all in one unit can perform as well as Picking the best amps for the money and then bolting on modest streaming? I'd guarantee that I could go head to head with you with your arcam solo and pick Amps and sources for the same price, that improve the sq of your system no end and with your pmc twenty 21. Speak to dale at fanthorpes and he will say the same too. If it's not all about sq for you and looks, then fine, but don't expect to think you can uncompromisingly get same sq with your solo unit on sq, as you can with dedicated hi fi amps and a streamer at same price. You just can't.

Well, I've read the nonsense you have posted about speaker cables making significant changes to the sound from your speakers, despite the fact that several of us have posted links to numerous studies that contradict that claim. It is a shame you did not read those links, you'd have learnt something.

The odd thing is that I have read many many reviews of the Arcam Solo Music, and many say that it outclasses separates costing at least as much, many say it outclasses the sort of amps you said would thrash it. However, I'm only going by the comments of people who have tested the unit, since you have never listened to it, you are obviously the expert. Incidentally I have no view on how well it performs compared to other units, I just know that your views are balls since they are based on zero real world experience.

As for Dale, I am really really surprised that a shop keeper (I assume that is his role) would suggest that a customer spends more money to get better quality. Who would have thought it? That is the same shop that advised me to get some 'good' cables - costing a fair whack - so as to better control the bass and treble from my PMC speakers. This is despite the fact that blind testing has shown that such claims are pseudoscience. Incidentally, don't think I'm knocking Fanthorpes, I do recommend them, they provide decent service, and doubtless many if not most other shops make exactly the same claims.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Leif said:

You'd be struggling to find anyone to agree that the streaming parts of an iPhone will compete with a dedicated streaming section of that naim, with right speakers, which is a proprietary hi fi device. I've got a cca and I'd take that double blind with you. Are you seriously and credibly putting a £30 'puck' in the cca, into the same catergory as streaming components many many times the price. Over a factor of 10, then you think it's nonsense.

Well we all know that audiophile products are always superior to non-audiophile products costing a fraction of the price don't we? *crazy*

Why did you buy your pmc's in the first place if you think this. why not go down to maplin and pick up some real £20 budget ones?

I kept telling you to read the link I gave you, but you never did. Clearly you did not read Davedotco's link either. Had you done so, you'd have learnt the answer to your question.

you seem arrogant to me. Did you do a double blind on those monitor audios, or your pmc's, or your arcam solo? Does everyone buy this way? Are you wrong to buy the pmc 21 because you didn't double blind it with monitor audios?. But will you accept you could pick it out against your ma. I suspect you can. The comparative ability to hear a difference is all you needed to then make a judgement as to value.

youve got an audiophile product in the pmc's you just bought and I've never inferred one is superior if I were to imply your pmc's are the same times better comparative to value against cheaper speakers. Law of diminishing returns! But I'd say your speakers are superior to the monitor audios you had. In fact you agreed.

What's the point you are making with the link? Please enlighten me.

rainsoothe

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ahhhhh .I got my naps mixed up with my nacs Rainsoothe.lol.

No, you don't - NAC N 272 and Nap200 or Nap250. I meant I would defo replace my Nac 172 with 272, instead of replacing the Nap200 with a 250DR. In the setup I auditioned the 250DR, it sounded too clean and hi-fi-ey to me, the 200 is a bit more rugged and grungy (or at least it sounded that way in that setup), which complements the 272 better (for my tastes). Again, in that particular room and setup (it was with some JBL humongous floorstanders that sounded beautiful, forgot the model).

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Leif said:

you seem arrogant to me.

*crazy*

Did you do a double blind on those monitor audios, or your pmc's, or your arcam solo?

I bought them because I liked the sound and they provided the features I wanted. I have no issue with people doing that. I suspect no-one here would argue with that approach. But I don't go round saying "Don't buy that item I have not heard, it's pants". If you like your system, that's great, what more do you want or need?

As far as I am concerned, someone can spend a decent wodge on a nice system, and it might be that they could get better sound for less, but so what, hifi is about more than sound, it is about aesthetics, and large knobs. *smile*

Does everyone buy this way? Are you wrong to buy the pmc 21 because you didn't double blind it with monitor audios?. But will you accept you could pick it out against your ma. I suspect you can. The comparative ability to hear a difference is all you needed to then make a judgement as to value.

You really do need to read the links we gave you. It is well established that speakers do have very distinct sonic signatures. You only have to look at the frequency response measurements to see that. The MA S2 (a slightly larger version of my S1) is seen to have a greatly exaggerated bass response, exactly as I hear from the S1. Anyway, the main issue I had is that it farts, which means it must be placed well away from the wall, otherwise the farting causes booming. Even then the bass is rather muddy. The PMC does not fart, which was part of the attraction. That and the nice sound.

youve got an audiophile product in the pmc's you just bought and I've never inferred one is superior if I were to imply your pmc's are the same times better comparative to value against cheaper speakers. Law of diminishing returns! But I'd say your speakers are superior to the monitor audios you had. In fact you agreed.

What's the point you are making with the link? Please enlighten me.

Do please read those links.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
In a way comparing one box solutions to multi box is deafeating the point of the object.

You pay a premium for the single box, really nice screen, lovely volume *** nicest one ever seen that includes £100k steinway ***. And normally you get all that but you expect poor sound.

But I didn't get that yesterday I got good sound. Really compelling very good soundstage, very good dynamics and ok bass.

Shows you can use the atom with bigger speakers. Bigger more efficient speakers make more sense than small inefficient ones.

Yes, I agree 100% on the bigger, high efficiency speakers thing. If you're the sort of owner with the sort of room that can put up with huge speakers.

As a sweeping statement, if the speakers are giving the amplification an easy time it'll sound like it. If the amplification is having a hard time with the speakers it'll sound like it.

Also, if the moving part of the midrange unit is relatively heavy it'll sound like it.

The stereophile measurements for the Kef R700's indicate 87 dbs / 2.83v @ 1 m. With a minimum impedance of 3.3 ohms and a nominal impedance of 5 ohms. That's a relatively awkward load, but not as bad as some.

40 watts would give you about 100 dbs at 1 metre. That's plenty loud enough for domestic listening.

I've always thought that from NAP 250 level upwards, Naim make good sounding amplifiers. It's just been the price new and 2nd hand that has made them unattractive for me.

The Atom may well be a new sweet spot in terms of price, performance, functionality and brand name.

There's a reasonable chance that, if buying new, other manufacturers that are smaller (lower overheads) and sell direct (no dealer mark up) may offer better sound quality for less money. Then again they may not.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am not saying its the best sounding product in the world but it sounded better than I was expecting. It was a real surprise and I got a bit carried away I think.

The songs on demo are very good sounding high res songs 96/24 and one is a studio master 192/24 but I had a listen to some stuff of Nintronics network sounded pretty good as well.

I dont know what I was expecting but you dont expect big sound from such a small box and I was getting pretty big sound as you can tell.

Its worthy of commendment that Naim have done that - you wont realise how small it is until you look at it - Ipad size

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

lindsayt said:
ellisdj said:

You pay a premium for the single box, really nice screen, lovely volume *** nicest one ever seen that includes £100k steinway ***. And normally you get all that but you expect poor sound.

Shows you can use the atom with bigger speakers. Bigger more efficient speakers make more sense than small inefficient ones.

Yes, I agree 100% on the bigger, high efficiency speakers thing. If you're the sort of owner with the sort of room that can put up with huge speakers.

As a sweeping statement, if the speakers are giving the amplification an easy time it'll sound like it. If the amplification is having a hard time with the speakers it'll sound like it.

Also, if the moving part of the midrange unit is relatively heavy it'll sound like it.

The stereophile measurements for the Kef R700's indicate 87 dbs / 2.83v @ 1 m. With a minimum impedance of 3.3 ohms and a nominal impedance of 5 ohms. That's a relatively awkward load, but not as bad as some.

40 watts would give you about 100 dbs at 1 metre. That's plenty loud enough for domestic listening.

I've always thought that from NAP 250 level upwards, Naim make good sounding amplifiers. It's just been the price new and 2nd hand that has made them unattractive for me.

The Atom may well be a new sweet spot in terms of price, performance, functionality and brand name.

There's a reasonable chance that, if buying new, other manufacturers that are smaller (lower overheads) and sell direct (no dealer mark up) may offer better sound quality for less money. Then again they may not.

if you've got 40watts, it's not just the loudness, it's the ability to be dynamic in having power, and we aren't talking about good sound, but best for your money, obviously if it's all about the sound. But I wouldn't put the r700s with that unit. The r700s aren't massively dynamic either so not a good speaker as a benchmark. They are big room filling sound speaker with a big soundstage but not quite as fast as some smaller floorstanding speakers at same price . I demoed these kefs when I bought my old pmc twenty 23s and they were not as good. But again if you buy a speaker for soundstage, volume etc, which is what these kefs are about, why only 40 Watts with it as the wattage will also give you the better bigger soundstage too and imaging. I'd be aiming for amps with wattage to the top end of the max power handling rating of the speakers, if I wanted a speaker to do these things which is what you are surely wanting if you want this type of design and to get the best out of them. Otherwise a smaller speaker (at less cost) with more powerful amps will probably do a similar job.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Quest, I agree on the Kef R700's.

I'm happy to accept your judgement that PMC 23's are better sounding speaker than R700's.

The sort of speakers I prefer over both the PMC's and Kef's would be a disastor for most people reading this.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As I have mentioned, I use Spotify for all my music listening.

I am well aware that this is a less than optimum source, so I would not consider spending big money for such a system.

However, I do occasionally wonder what improvements would be apparent were I to replace my 'ultra budget' streamer/pre-amp with some thing supposedly much better, I was thinking Unitiqute or Majik DS. The linn streamer does not do Spotify Connect so mostly I have focussed on the Naim unit.

The new Atom ticks all the usual boxes but offers nothing unusual in terms of functionality and it's control app gets mixed reviews (at best).

For me, the question is a simple one, will the Naims legendary 'musicality' bring sufficient improvement to the Spotify experience to be worth the price. At some point I will have to try one and find out.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

davedotco said:

I am well aware that this is a less than optimum source, so I would not consider spending big money for such a system.

However, I do occasionally wonder what improvements would be apparent were I to replace my 'ultra budget' streamer/pre-amp with some thing supposedly much better, I was thinking Unitiqute or Majik DS. The linn streamer does not do Spotify Connect so mostly I have focussed on the Naim unit.

The new Atom ticks all the usual boxes but offers nothing unusual in terms of functionality and it's control app gets mixed reviews (at best).

For me, the question is a simple one, will the Naims legendary 'musicality' bring sufficient improvement to the Spotify experience to be worth the price. At some point I will have to try one and find out.

depends on the speakers you are using it with. My attitude is always go for the best speakers, amps and then dac you can afford as the actual CD player and streamer can be basic or relatively so. I'd spend least on the actual source and go most on these things.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

depends on the speakers you are using it with. My attitude is always go for the best speakers, amps and then dac you can afford as the actual CD player and streamer can be basic or relatively so. I'd spend least on the actual source and go most on these things.

I should have mentioned, I use active speakers so require a device with a pre-out. The Naim (and the Linn) both have that.

I am not particularly interested in improving the hi-fi, more 'detail' or an improved soundstage does not really bother me, whwt I want is to get closer to the music, more involvement if you like.

My current system appears to do that very well in general terms, I am just wondering what a more expensive, 'better' streamer/pre-amp would bring to the table. I guess I am just assuming that my budget unit can be bettered by spending more money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts