New Musical Fidelity V-DAC

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone has news on the New V-DAC being released by Musical Fidelity, based on some basic info on it from CEDIA 2008, It will sell for about the same price as the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic (In the US at least)...

WHF team: Any reviews in the works for it?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
There's a review of the Musical Fidelity V-DAC (£160) in our new issue, out tomorrow (already with subscribers) - p77, tested alongside the Cambridge Audio DACMagic and the Beresford TC-7510.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:There's a review of the Musical Fidelity V-DAC (£160) in our new issue, out tomorrow (already with subscribers) - p77, tested alongside the Cambridge Audio DACMagic and the Beresford TC-7510.

So Clare, how good do you think the DACMagic is? Could it give similar results to the 740C (as it has similar innards?). I will be buying one anyway but it would be really interesting to know how you rate it. I'm expecting lossless files sent to the DM and then out through an amp would be at least as good as the 740C and cd's using a lesser transport might approach that level?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i really look forward to your opinions.

personally im sceptical. the extra 80 quid (i have the beresford) would seem to buy me some extra features i dont understand. Unless it sound notably better i dont see the point.

also, isnt cambridge stuff meant to be on the bright side? and if so, does the dac have the same CA feel to it...?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Cambridge Audio DACMagic certainly isn't on the bright side - in fact our review singles out its "full-bodied" sound. We also mention that it has the benefits of the Beresford (timing, clarity, punch) with extra midrange fluidity and richness of sound. But then it is £80 more....

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
The Cambridge Audio DACMagic certainly isn't on the bright side - in fact our review singles out its "full-bodied" sound. We also mention that it has the benefits of the Beresford (timing, clarity, punch) with extra midrange fluidity and richness of sound. But then it is £80 more....

Thanks. All excellent points too. I have read the reviewe, but thought id make sure... ;)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Eighty schmeighty - that's four pairs of Gothams.

i did wonder where you were going with the forty schmorty thing lol!

i personally dont find one that much prettier than the other (tho would ever so slightly favour the beresford - id need to get the cambridge in black), so if it really justifies it sound-wise, id be tempted.

John Duncan

Yeah, don't know where that came from. I find the gold buttons on the beresford a bit unpleasant, so it's definitely the Cambridge for me (is same width as my phono stage so a nice little pile will begin), even though I find the front panel a bit busy.

I know, I know, it's all about the sound..........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yeah, don't know where that came from. I find the gold buttons on the beresford a bit unpleasant, so it's definitely the Cambridge for me (is same width as my phono stage so a nice little pile will begin), even though I find the front panel a bit busy.

It will settle nicely next to my 840A - how much to spend on XLRs and coxial now!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yeah, don't know where that came from. I find the gold buttons on the beresford a bit unpleasant, so it's definitely the Cambridge for me (is same width as my phono stage so a nice little pile will begin), even though I find the front panel a bit busy.

Oh not a bit of it!

I completely understand the thing with aesthetics. My kit was fairly hastily cobbled together with little regard for looks, and when choosing my next system itll be my second concern, but a very close second indeed. I'd go so far to say, in fact, that if i thought something was just too ugly, id avoid listening to it.

But then you get into does it fit im my space/room/rack? That should have high priority unless you can/are inclined to buy new furniture...

Anyway, apologies for taking things wildly off topic!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts