New Marantz SR 5012

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello I have purchased this receiver as a replacement of my 4 year Onkyo 818. In general the replacement is not going as smooth as I would like. I am finding some issues and I hope someone can provide advice.

Music SQ – I am finding that the sound lacks a bit of refinement/warmth. Depending on the type of music, the punchy bass may cause listening fatigue. My current speakers are Q acoustics 2050i and I have tried different kind of adjustments, Tone, Audyssey on or off, graphic eq on-off. I was hopping to find the so-called “warm/smooth" Marantz sound but it is not what I am finding. It feels like if a loudness button was always on but there is no loudness button.

I have also tried using my other set of speakers Dali Ikon1 and the result is similar. Is there a way to create a more balanced sound?

2 additional questions regarind HEOS:

– Is there a way to add a NAS folder as favorite like with Sonos? It is a real pain to go through the complete tree everytime.

- Is there a way to configure a HEOS1 speaker to become Zone2. This would be very useful.

On side topic, why is it that "What Hi-Fi" never reviews Marantz receivers? Or, what is putting off Marantz from sending receivers to What Hi-Fi for review? Thanks!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
You could try plaing with the equalizer settings and adjusting manually. You'll have to go through the manual and the menus to find the manual EQ settings as I have no idea how to, having found them only by accident on my Marantz 7010 once upon a time.

You didn't say whether you're using a digital or analogue input for your music, and depending on your source, e.g. a CD player, using the DAC built into that and feeding the receiver with an analogue soignal could help. Either that or an interconnect change, e.g. from coax to fibre optic or vice versa. Despite what the nay-sayers might say, cables can (note I didn't say do) make subtle differences.

The final thing it could be is just a matter of the receiver running in, or your ears adjusting to its new sound.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
You could try plaing with the equalizer settings and adjusting manually. You'll have to go through the manual and the menus to find the manual EQ settings as I have no idea how to, having found them only by accident on my Marantz 7010 once upon a time.

You didn't say whether you're using a digital or analogue input for your music, and depending on your source, e.g. a CD player, using the DAC built into that and feeding the receiver with an analogue soignal could help. Either that or an interconnect change, e.g. from coax to fibre optic or vice versa. Despite what the nay-sayers might say, cables can (note I didn't say do) make subtle differences.

The final thing it could be is just a matter of the receiver running in, or your ears adjusting to its new sound.

Hello, my main sources are FM radio and HEOS (Spotify, Internet radio & NAS). This week I have tried setting speakers to 80Hz and it has improved a little bit. Still I find it very strange that in general it is so bass heavy. I have tried with the manual equalizer and tone adjutments but in most cases they just make things worse. I do not want to sound too negative because, it is quite musical for an AV receiver, definetly more musical than the Onkyo but these issues preven from a full satisfactory experience. I believe the Onkyo had fuller sound whereas this has cleaner but thinner sound. It lacks the layer of texture that would make it a bit warmer and, the refinment on the bass side that would help to avoid acoustic fatigue.

Anyway, things getting better little by little...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried changing your speaker size settings and or the LFE setting?

Other thing to adjust if you're getting too much bass is your LFE / subwoofer cutoff frequency and, if you have them, the volume and other knobs on the back of your sub.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
As sir benedict pointed out, How do you have your LFE channel set. Is it main+LFE or just SUB.

I use my marantz with the concept 40's some times and my experience is very different from yours. So setting your speakers to small, then changing the cross over to 80hz, and then reducing the volume in your sub might help a little here.

After carrying out audessey calibration did you check the distances and levels that audessey settled on. Are they approximately correct.

If nothing else helps, shifting the location of your sub will surely help. I had a lot of bass boom with my sub placed between my forward speakers. Subsequently, shifted it under my sofa, below my listening position, and all is fine now. All the best :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
^ Under the sofa???

Do we need to start a "which stepladder" thread???

I trust you crank the sub right up when watching San Andreas, Tremors, Tremors 2, .... Tremors the Return of the King....
:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts