New marantz 6004 amp or dac magic

Dinocampioni

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I have a marantz pm6004 amp and cd6003. I also have a project 3 turntable and an iPod touch connected via a pure i20 dock /dac.

I'm quite pleased with the set up but always looking to improve though on a tight budget

I only listen at reasonably low volumes but to get more detail and insight would an amp upgrade to say the new marantz 6004 or the addition of a Cambridge audio dac magic to the existing set up reap the best rewards.

Interested in anyone's comments re this

Thanks

matthewpiano

I presume you currently have a PM6003??

If so I doubt the PM6004 would be a worthwhile enough upgrade to warranty £309. I'm sure it is better than the PM6003 (the WHFS&V review clearly states that it is), but I doubt it is going to give you an earth-shattering upgrade. Worth an audition though to see what you think, perhaps taking your current amp along with you. I'm looking forward to hearing the 6004 at the Manchester show on Sunday.

Alternatively you might be looking for a different presentation to the Marantz so something more open and overtly detailed like the excellent Cambridge Audio Azur 650A might suit you better?? Again, worth an audition.

I have had a DacMagic in the past and, personally I don't think it would be an upgrade on the CD6003's internal DAC. You have a very fine CD player and I think you'd have to look at something like the Rega DAC or Audiolab M-DAC for a big enough improvement. Whether the PM6003 is good enough to make this worthwhile (excellent though it is) is a question I am unable to answer at this stage.

matthewpiano

Dinocampioni said:
Thanks for your reply I made a typo it's a pm 5004 amp I have currently so this is the model down to the pm6003

In that case you might find the PM6004 a substantial upgrade over your existing amplifier. Certainly audition it, but I'd also try a couple of other amps as well to find the best presentation for you - the Cambridge 650A and the NAD C326BEE spring to mind as great alternatives.

Dinocampioni

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much Mathew

I do like the marantz type sound but I'll pay a visit to richer sounds with my existing amp soon to compare against the 6004 , and and cambridge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts