New, less bassy speaker recommendations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Bender

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Prof. Hurbert J. Farnsworth said:
Bender said:
dim_span said:
Bender said:
davedotco said:
(Guilty secret, I even use a touch of low bass boost and a very gentle 'upward tilt' when streaming Spotify into my small actives.)

Oh your God! Call yourself an audiophile?

Hey Bender .... what speaker cables do you recomend?...

You want the BenderTec 3000 cable.

It's made from the purest Osmium crystal mined from the planet Omicron Persei 8 and has triple layer EMI shielding made from Nibblonian dark matter poop. You can buy some for just 10,000 Earth Credits per meter. Order one today and I'll even throw in a free hooker.

Sweet zombie Jesus! You audiophiles will believe anything.

Any scientist knows that standard MomCorp OFC cable of a suitably thick gauge will suffice.

Bite my shiny metal ass Professor!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
BigH....honestly I have no idea what you're talking about.

'the footprint' is about the amount of space a speaker takes up - nothing to do with cost.

The base plate or feet of your standard speaker stand is about the same as a floorstander.....get it.

To replace his speakers will set him back money he may not need to spend.

My suggestion ref the tone controls is perfectly sensible.

Look, if it's a little argy barghy you're after at least be good enough to be on point or close to it.

And why are you guys trying to derail this thread? - we have several pointless threads ongoing were you can post your nonsense.

Be good enough to use them.

BigH said:
Thompsonuxb said:
You do what?

Put the Missions back on and if you have tone controls then set your treble to -/+0 and the bass has low as possible.

Then increase the bass in single increments till happy.

A pair of standmounts on stands will have the same footprint and leave you a couple hundred quid lighter.

Try the tone controls and then decide. Consider you're not happy with the 'pure' sound.

You have nothing to lose.

By the way what amp do you own?

kitkat said:
Prefer to bypass these for purer sound.

i must tommo you do talk a load of twaddle. Stand mounts costs £200 more. If you mean stands you can buy decent stands for about £60. To get the equilovent standmount as a floor stander you often have to pay nearly x2 the amount, see Tannoy and Pmc who have same speakers as stand or floor mounts. I agree with Dave most cheap floor standers are to be avoided.

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
The one thing about speaker stands is if you get a decent pair they will last a lifetime, I don't think it's necessarily a money saving route to use stand mounts & the footprint is the same but our preferences as to what we like to hear comes from: I can only wonder - Both my sons have floorstanders & they prefer the sound to my stand mounted MA's, though we all prefer our own systems & we do chop & change from time to time between us.

As for tone controls I've always found them too coarse to be of much value & usually ended up with them at zero anyway so when I bought my last amp the lack of them wasn’t a worry - Vladmir: Retrofitting tone controls to my K2 I fear would invalidate the warranty? Some amps in the past as I remember has bass, mid & treble controls? And there was the equaliser phase in the 70’s.

Edit: I'm moving house this spring & reserve the right to buy a pair of floorstanding speakers should I feel the need, this does not affect my statutory rights.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your replys, seem to have caused some arguments as well. Anyway to answer a few questions / points, I do indeed own a Marantz PM 7200 from new, well looked after love it, the V63 speakers I brought in 2004 for about £600.

Someone suggested I plug the speaker ports, I did'nt think about that and will try it I still have the plugs for the speakers.

Someone also suggested I may just be after a new / different sound, that may well be true, something a bit leaner (bass wise) and more detailed / smoother I prefre a warmer sound nothing bright.

I have looked at some reviews on the Deli Zensor 3, really like the look of these but not heard them yet, any thoughts welcome.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Just last week my self & some friends did a blind test.. yes i said it. Tone control off & on for about an hour on my AVR450 we never could tell which from which. So after the test we now listened we our eyes opened, then suddenly we thought the tone control off sounded better. So make what you think off it. Even just after doing the blind test we were still very sure the tone off sounded much better.

We sat there & said this is strange. Do not under estimate your minds power. Even when it comes to hifi these days am not very sure what to belive anymore. One thing I can say for sure 100% of the time the tone control works blind or not. even by one db + or -

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Just last week my self & some friends did a blind test.. yes i said it. Tone control off & on for about an hour on my AVR450 we never could tell which from which. So after the test we now listened we our eyes opened, then suddenly we thought the tone control off sounded better. So make what you think off it. Even just after doing the blind test we were still very sure the tone off sounded much better.

We sat there & said this is strange. Do not under estimate your minds power. Even when it comes to hifi these days am not very sure what to belive anymore. One thing I can say for sure 100% of the time the tone control works blind or not. even by one db + or -

Actually reality is a bit stranger. If a person has taught themselves to hear sound one way with the tone controls on and another with them off this may well persist during a blind test. That is they may still hear the sound of the tone controls being on or off but it will be uncorrelated with the actual setting of the tone controls.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Well kitkat did you try reducing the bass via the tone controls with the v63's and what was your opinion?

kitkat said:
Thanks for all your replys, seem to have caused some arguments as well. Anyway to answer a few questions / points, I do indeed own a Marantz PM 7200 from new, well looked after love it, the V63 speakers I brought in 2004 for about £600.

Someone suggested I plug the speaker ports, I did'nt think about that and will try it I still have the plugs for the speakers.

Someone also suggested I may just be after a new / different sound, that may well be true, something a bit leaner (bass wise) and more detailed / smoother I prefre a warmer sound nothing bright.

I have looked at some reviews on the Deli Zensor 3, really like the look of these but not heard them yet, any thoughts welcome.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
hg said:
Native_bon said:

Actually reality is a bit stranger. If a person has taught themselves to hear sound one way with the tone controls on and another with them off this may well persist during a blind test. That is they may still hear the sound of the tone controls being on or off but it will be uncorrelated with the actual setting of the tone controls.
Your very right. We have been told tone off sounds better. So we have done this over the years beliving tone off sounds better. So each time we turned the tones off we were reinforcing to are minds this sounds better. So even just after doing a blind test not able to tell when tones are off or on, are minds was still able to make us believe tone off sounded better. This did not just affect me but 3 of us. Having said that not all amps will give the same results with tone controls.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Yes, already tried the tone controls, not happy with the sound using them, but putting the plugs in the ports did make a big difference, much tighter bass, no boom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts