New Hifi Setup: Luxman,Accuphase, Musical Fidelity, New or Second hand???

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

I was hoping for some feedback on a new system a friend of mine is compiling. Looking into a full new setup, where second hand equipment is happy to be entertained. The style of music is predominately classical, and he has a leaning towards the warm tube sound, so a valve preamp / Power amp is being entertained. Floor standing speakers are also in the mix. Approx. budget is $15K Australian. Although a warmer sound is the preference, it isn’t to come as the cost of precision, or detail though. A phono stage also needs to be considered as vinyl will be played as well as Cd’s.

Need:

- Amp (pre / power,or integrated)

- Phono stage (if required)

- CD

At the moment We’ve been looking into Luxman and Accuphase. Second hand Audio Research would also be great, but may become too cost prohibitive, hard to come by in Australia.

Any thoughts on the Luxman CL-38U Preamp with the MQ-88u power amp. The Preamp has a phono stage which is if benefit – anyone know how good it is, or if a separate phono stage will provide more benefit? In addition thoughts on d-30u cd player

The other thought is finding a warm sounding solid state like the Musical Fidelity M6 series separate pre with the dual mono power amp (M6pre, M6prx)

With Speakers what are your thoughts on:

- Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand

- Monitor Audio GX300

- PMC 24

Thanks

rainsoothe

Hi.

All of the three brands you mentioned are great, but what your friend should really do is audition - especially with this kind of budget. Personally, I only heard an entry-level Accuphase integrated and it sounded, for my ears, spectacular. You could also add a Jadis Orchestra tube amp to the list, as it sounds really really good. Oh, and also Sugden. As for speakers, you should add Sonus Faber to that list and, if your friend likes warm sound and the amp is on the less warm side, Harbeth.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I heard an Accuphase E-360 and E-470 playing with a pair of KEF R900s. While not a tube sound, it was very smooth and natural with great dynamic ability and detail. Steel fist in a velvet glove. The E-470 was particularly impressive, although the E-360 was by no means a slouch. I don't recall which Accuphase CD player was used.

As well as the KEFs, I would be very interested to hear how the Accuphase matched with the twenty series PMCs.

Personally, I prefer Luxman's solid state CD players to the d-30u, but overall I prefer SS. Their players always struck me as having a beautiful balance between being very detailed while maintaining a smooth, natural sound. Still, a tube CD player might add that flavour he is seeking if the amplification is SS.

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys. Can anyone elaborate on which component would best benefit form being a valve based one - for example do you go a valve preamp to colour the sound, and then the power could be a solid state, or give versa? At the other end of the spectrum, can too much valve action be a bad thing - valve preamp and valve power amp? Would I also be right in assuming that you would match pre and power amp components within the same manufacturer / series range, etc for best component synergy and then work your way through the other components that match well from there.

Is the preamp the best place to start?

thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tackleberry1 said:
Thanks for the comments guys. Can anyone elaborate on which component would best benefit form being a valve based one - for example do you go a valve preamp to colour the sound, and then the power could be a solid state, or give versa? At the other end of the spectrum, can too much valve action be a bad thing - valve preamp and valve power amp? Would I also be right in assuming that you would match pre and power amp components within the same manufacturer / series range, etc for best component synergy and then work your way through the other components that match well from there.

Is the preamp the best place to start?

thanks

There are no rules as such, but it is more usual to go for a Valve Pre with a SS Power....which maximizes the strengths (or minimizes the weaknesses) of both.

To get over the correct matching, it might be sensible to look at the likes of Pathos, which make lovely sounding amps and do the above.

Brands that would be "all Valve" that sound great, would be Unison Research, Jadis and Icon Audio.

Speakers to consider (many mentioned above) - Kef R Series, Harbeth, Spendor Classic Series, Opera, Sonus Faber, Proac, Vienna Acoustics and Opera.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tackleberry1 said:
If anyone could shed some light on Conrad Johnson components. Thoughts suitability, etc - that would be great

Conrad Johnson have a wonderful reputation and I suspect would be ideal....but unfortunately I can't speak directly from personal experience.

FWIW. I think you are looking in all the right directions.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd add Devialet to the mix. I know valves are desired, but there are a couple of people over on the unofficial Devialet owners' forum who've switched from valves to the Devil.

When I started looking for a main system amp, I tried MF, Accuphase, Luxman, Pass Labs, all superb amps. I ended up with a Devialet 200 with Sonus fabers. It's a wonderfully smooth sound and great with classical music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
If the AMS35i is on your list, there's one here that looks remarkable value at the moment, and less than a day to go.

That could be my amp (except the wonky vol knob and grills) and is what I would have said - except mine is staying put for the moment. The guy summed it up very nicely (and honestly). Looks like a sound buy.

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys,

i saw that amp, and have to admit I was tempted myself! When I saw that was available i told my friend to go for it - he tried but not being in the uk the bid wasn't accepted. I think it might be worth looking into as a suitable option though. Might see if we can track something down here. Any comments how the m8, or even m6 range compare? For example maybe the separate pre and dual mono amps?

thanks

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If I would be you I would just swap the 8200A and 8200CD for a 8200CDQ,get some Kef R-Series/Ls50 instead of the MA´s and be happy.Wonderfull combination with your 8200MB´s.Easy and not heavy on your pocket.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tackleberry1 said:
Thanks guys,

i saw that amp, and have to admit I was tempted myself! When I saw that was available i told my friend to go for it - he tried but not being in the uk the bid wasn't accepted. I think it might be worth looking into as a suitable option though. Might see if we can track something down here. Any comments how the m8, or even m6 range compare? For example maybe the separate pre and dual mono amps?

thanks

If you like what Class A does, then the rest of the other MF ranges, though more powerful, don't come close. There is a beguiling naturalness and realism to the AMS amps that is very hard to match (but I'm biased).

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
As it works out, I just learnt that my friend tracked down and purchased a ams35i - quite envious!

now that the amp is sorted, speaker suggestions please????

Am I on the right track with the Vienna acoustics, pmc, minitor audio? i saw the suggestions of sonus fabers as well.

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tackleberry1 said:
As it works out, I just learnt that my friend tracked down and purchased a ams35i - quite envious!

now that the amp is sorted, speaker suggestions please????

Am I on the right track with the Vienna acoustics, pmc, minitor audio? i saw the suggestions of sonus fabers as well.

Thanks

Well, well. If he (or you) have any thoughts on how it sounds, it would be great to hear them.....feel free to post on this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-ams-35i-thread

I love the combination with the older Kef Reference (205/2)...but it is very difficult to pick speakers for someone else. I have yet to hear speakers that it doesn't sound well with, and I gave a list earlier in the thread....though I would add PMC.

Ideally look for speakers with high sensitivity and low impedance to maximixe volume (eg. My speakers have a Sensitivity of 90 dBs and an impedance that drops to 3.2 Ohms)

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Cno, I wish it was me that owned that amp! I'm still a few years away from an upgrade to my system. Sadly still not part of that elusive club.

I'll recommend to take the amp with him to a few showrooms - it was more about narrowing down the selections. Thanks for he comments.

Tackleberry1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so now that his amp is sorted I need advice on options for a phono amp. Needs to suit the ams35i and an older style empire turntable. Most likely the turntable will be fitted with a grado wooden cartridge.

I've been quite impressed by my luxman e200 phono amp paired with a wooden grado cartridge giving a lovely silky quality. That said it's also paired with my audiolab set-up which is quite neutral in tone so it's quite a nice balance. I don't know if this might colour the ams35 too much. Is the m1vinl any good? Any suggestions on top of your other already useful ones would be great. Again happy to explore some great older second hand ones as well.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts