new hi-fi & tv rack

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
i am moving house at the end of the month, and will be needing a new rack to store my hi-fi and tv. i was going to pay ikea a visit and get something cheap but as sturdy as possible.

i have just been reading the review section on this site about racks and it has left me a bit confused. many of the reviews talk of the 'sound' of the rack. is this simply refering to its ability to be vibration-proof?

as i have a budget system do i need to concearn my self with such issues? or are these reviews aimed at very high end systems where the quality of the rack may affect the sound in a very small way?

my system is: laptop >beresford dac>nad c325bee>wharfedale 9.1's + bk monolith DF

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
basshead:
i am moving house at the end of the month, and will be needing a new rack to store my hi-fi and tv. i was going to pay ikea a visit and get something cheap but as sturdy as possible.

i have just been reading the review section on this site about racks and it has left me a bit confused. many of the reviews talk of the 'sound' of the rack. is this simply refering to its ability to be vibration-proof?

as i have a budget system do i need to concearn my self with such issues? or are these reviews aimed at very high end systems where the quality of the rack may affect the sound in a very small way?

my system is: laptop >beresford dac>nad c325bee>wharfedale 9.1's + bk monolith DF

I would say so yes. In your case, I would just go for something that looks decent and does the job.

A

Anonymous

I got a Jual rack from standanddeliver recently for about 100 pounds, simple and has a cable hiding bit at the back.

I wanted to get a nice wooden one, but as we are also moving at some point decided to wait.

Just get something functional, there is little point in spending as much on your rack as you did on your amp =)

idc

Hi basshead. Have a look through this forum thread

Or rather don't, as it violates House Rules - Mods

There is some seriously high end hifi on chopped up Ikea lacks tables! Then head on down to Ikea. I had a TV unit which was excellent. It must be something in the wood!

P.S - thanks to zzgavin for finding the original link
emotion-21.gif

SteveR750

I nearly bought a solid wood ikea coffee table, looked perfect as a resting place for the Linn when I had it. There is plenty of used stuff at sensible money on fleaby, I got a nice Apollo glass shelved jobby for masses less than the overpriced atacama stuff (come on how on earth can they charge THAT much, its not as if there can be that much R&D in it, and it certainly isnt in the materials....)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:I nearly bought a solid wood ikea coffee table, looked perfect as a resting place for the Linn when I had it. There is plenty of used stuff at sensible money on fleaby, I got a nice Apollo glass shelved jobby for masses less than the overpriced atacama stuff (come on how on earth can they charge THAT much, its not as if there can be that much R&D in it, and it certainly isnt in the materials....)

i have no opinion on atacama's vfm, but i can vouch for the rather large improvement in sound quality when i moved my old roksan kit from my tv's cab stand to an atacama avi. i was sceptical before i got it. i've also recently been stunned at the difference speaker stands can make, i went from mission stance to atacama hms2 - totally different sound.

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I got an ex-demo Apollo rack for half price from my local dealer, at £200 down from £400 it is probably getting close to Ikea prices. No idea of the impact on sound quality but it can't be doing any harm - try your local dealers before Ikea

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts