New Hi-Fi/All in one system for vinyl/cd/mp3 (line in/out)

elliotpowell92

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I've been browsing the internet for a new all in one system to play vinyls that I've recently started aqquiring, I don't know alot about setting up my own system so I was wondering if I could ask on here for some advice.

Some of the all in one systems I've found have got all the connections but rubbish sound and others only appear to have compatability with iphones/ipods and cds. Does anyone know of any systems have a input that I could just connect my own turntable to or is that a stupid question? Is it worth buying one of these systems (the auna 388Bt) for example and then just replacing the speakers?

I've been browsing components individually, but feel as if I don't know enough about amplifiers/speakers/connections etc to take the plunge. My budget is only around £170 which I'm guessing could also be a problem.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Elliot.

I would avoid all-in-one systems, at that price, like the plague. Simply put, they sound rubbish.

My suggestion would be to buy a decent second hand all-in-one, like a Denon RCD M35DAB (about £100, £140 with speakers), and a NAD PP1 phono stage (about £15) from ebay, and you will have a very good sounding little set-up to use with your existing turntable.

Hope that helps.

elliotpowell92

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, just looking at some of denons on ebay, I'm presuming the higher spec systems are ok? Theres alot of M37/8's on there. But selling individually. I'm not sure how much they will go up to as most of the auctions have still got 2 days left.

I probably didn't make myself clear enough in my original post. I still need a turntable as I no longer have mine. So any ideas on what to go for in that area?

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
You can get a Dual 505 or 506 turntable on ebay for about £20 so that would work. Better than an all in one though would be a Rotel amp with a built in phono stage. Plenty of cheap and good speakers around.

£170 is about what someone would pay for a new LP playing system in, say, 1975. :grin:

elliotpowell92

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully I'll be able to grab a denon M37 and some speakers before christmas and then just wait til the new year when I'll be able to stretch my budget to afford a decent turntable and amp.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Oops, sorry, thought you said that you'd already got a T/T... Nevermind!

If you get the M37 you won't be disappointed, they're great little systems. I've got one in my bedroom system with some Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's, and it sounds lovely. Having DAB is great too, which isn't something you'll find on cheapo all in ones.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
As good as the 37 is if you can stretch your budget just that little bit I would go for the 39 (£150 I’ve quickly checked on the Bay).

The 37 as good as it is has annoyingly loud volume jumps from around number 10 (or thereabouts IIRC) which makes it either too loud or too low. Maybe not a total deal breaker, but it can be if you like late night listening where you have to hit the sweet spot without disturbing the neighbours etc. I believe the 38 didn’t solve this issue either, but the 39 does.

It also has an inbuilt DAC via optical which (connections willing) you can feed a TV/Blu-Ray/AirPort Express etc straight to the Denon, so maybe a bit of future proofing there as well. Oh, almost forgot to mention, but it sounds better too!

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers said:
As good as the 37 is if you can stretch your budget just that little bit I would go for the 39 (£150 I’ve quickly checked on the Bay).

The 37 as good as it is has annoyingly loud volume jumps from around number 10 (or thereabouts IIRC) which makes it either too loud or too low. Maybe not a total deal breaker, but it can be if you like late night listening where you have to hit the sweet spot without disturbing the neighbours etc. I believe the 38 didn’t solve this issue either, but the 39 does.

It also has an inbuilt DAC via optical which (connections willing) you can feed a TV/Blu-Ray/AirPort Express etc straight to the Denon, so maybe a bit of future proofing there as well. Oh, almost forgot to mention, but it sounds better too!

Looks good for £150, but no speakers included unfortunately. A semi decent pair of second hand speakers are going to be £40-50, which puts it well above the £170 budget. My M37, which came with speakers, was £100 on Gumtree. I guess I got lucky with it being that cheap, but on ebay it should still only be around the £150 mark all in, or less.

elliotpowell92

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys, I feel like at least now I know what I should be looking for and slowly but surely I will work my way to putting the first vinyl record on my new setup. :)

TRENDING THREADS