New Hi-Fi: £300-£400 budget

Hi,

I'm currently helping out a friend with some new hi-fi equipment. Budget is £300-£400, with Richer Sounds a likely purchase point.

Need turntable, speakers, amp, pre-amp, connectors and cables

Currently identified this turntable: https://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/essential-2/proj-essential-2-blk

What are the best options to go for in terms of other devices to ensure the quality of turntable is not limited by the other devices in the chain (i.e. speakers, cables, amps, etc.)? If that means blowing the budget with the cost of the other devices, is it worth going for a slightly lesser turntable?

Thanks,

Rob.

Rob Curry said:
Hi,

I'm currently helping out a friend with some new hi-fi equipment. Budget is £300-£400, with Richer Sounds a likely purchase point.

Need turntable, speakers, amp, pre-amp, connectors and cables

Currently identified this turntable: https://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/essential-2/proj-essential-2-blk

What are the best options to go for in terms of other devices to ensure the quality of turntable is not limited by the other devices in the chain (i.e. speakers, cables, amps, etc.)? If that means blowing the budget with the cost of the other devices, is it worth going for a slightly lesser turntable?

Thanks,

Rob.

Hi Rob.

It might be worth reposting this in the main Hifi section as it appears you have made a decision on the turntable already.

Perhaps you could add exactly why your friend wants a turntable only system and what kind room size you are looking at. As you can, and may, wish to buy all from Richer Sounds it may be an idea to speak with their staff as they may throw in some cables if you buy everything from them.

P.S.: If you get the right integrated amp you don't need a preamp. Get one with an integrated phono preamp and you'll only need speakers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
System [1] - £418

Rega Planar 1 - £248

Klipsch R-15M - £170

System [2] - £421

Rega Planar 1 - £248

Mackie CR4 - £114

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM - £59

With either system you can upgrade your Phono preamp, Cartridge, Speakers/Amp (go separate or get better actives) and for the Rega you can get a White Drive Belt and the 24V motor upgrade later on.

Vladimir said:
System [1] - £418

Rega Planar 1 - £248

Klipsch R-15M - £170

System [2] - £421

Rega Planar 1 - £248

Mackie CR4 - £114

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM - £59

With either system you can upgrade your Phono preamp, Cartridge, Speakers/Amp (go separate or get better actives) and for the Rega you can get a White Drive Belt and the 24V motor upgrade later on.

Wouldn't System 1 required the R-15PM?

Vladimir said:
Yes, the actives. Or some other alternative like Roth Audio VA4.

I generally would prefer option 2 with a separate phono.

Thought that's what you meant....

Suggested System 3.... all from Richer Sounds...

Stick with turntable choice as I prefer that to the Rega RP1 and its cheaper, add Pioneer A10 amp and Wharfdale Diamond 9 speakers..... leaving something for speakers stands and cables.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

Stick with turntable choice as I prefer that to the Rega RP1 and its cheaper, add Pioneer A10 amp and Wharfdale Diamond 9 speakers..... leaving something for speakers stands and cables.

I think the Project Essential II is one of those with USB and integrated phono pre, with no option for direct cart output. We recently discussed it, forum member dakchi owns one. You must be thinking of the ProJect Debut Carbon which is indeed better than the Rega, but also more expensive by £100.

The upside of that integrated TT is that you can connect it directly to a pair of Q Acoustics BT3 and avoid the clutter of an extra integrated amp.

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

I think the Project Essential II is one of those with USB and integrated phono pre, with no option for direct cart output. We recently discussed it, forum member dakchi owns one. You must be thinking of the ProJect Debut Carbon which is indeed better than the Rega, but also more expensive by £100.

The upside of that integrated TT is that you can connect it directly to a pair of Q Acoustics BT3 and avoid the clutter of an extra integrated amp.

According to the link posted it appears to have neither.

Vladimir said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

According to the link posted it appears to have neither.

I think it's the Debut range that have them.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Apparently there is a PROJECT ESSENTIAL 2 model with and without the integrated phono/USB. The one at Richer Sounds specifies no integrated phono, which is good.
thumbs_up.gif

Mark Rose-Smith said:
It all really needs a bit more cash thrown at it imho.turntable setups on the cheap are really more about hipster fashion fads than actually wanting to achieve a proper decent listening system.my opinion only of course.

I quite agree and, although the OP has yet to get back on this thread, I am wondering if the friend already has a collection of vinyl or not.

I am intrigued by the number of people who seem to want a turntable based system on the cheap and good sound, he even mentions going for a cheaper deck. Source first I say, more so with a turntable.

I started with a cheapish turntable (Leak, I recall) but that's only because in the dark days that's all you had as a medium apart from reel to reel tape, I wouldn't consider starting that way on a budget now. The price of new media alone makes this a nonsense.

Let's hope the OP comes back soon.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The "Essential II Digital" comes with an onboard phono stage. "Essential II" doesn't and is being run out and replaced with the "Essential III" and "Essential III A", neither of these have onboard phono stage. The "Debut Carbon" has no phono stage, but "Debut Carbon Phono USB" does. Basically if it says Digital or Phono USB after the name of the TT then it has an onboard phono stage. I was really impressed with the "Essential III A" when we first got them in. In my humble opinion it punches well above it's price point.

brownz said:
The "Essential II Digital" comes with an onboard phono stage. "Essential II" doesn't and is being run out and replaced with the "Essential III" and "Essential III A", neither of these have onboard phono stage. The "Debut Carbon" has no phono stage, but "Debut Carbon Phono USB" does. Basically if it says Digital or Phono USB after the name of the TT then it has an onboard phono stage. I was really impressed with the "Essential III A" when we first got them in. In my humble opinion it punches well above it's price point.

What's the difference between III and IIIA if you don't mind me asking, according to Project website there is only a III. Is the A a UK modified version in some form? Apologies to the OP.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
brownz said:

What's the difference between III and IIIA if you don't mind me asking, according to Project website there is only a III. Is the A a UK modified version in some form? Apologies to the OP.

Hi Al,

It just adds the Acrylic-IT platter for £40. Bought seperately the platter is £90.

Cheers - Brownz

brownz said:
Al ears said:
brownz said:

Hi Al,

It just adds the Acrylic-IT platter for £40. Bought seperately the platter is £90.

Cheers - Brownz

Thanks, bit of a bargain then.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Marantz pm5005 Q Acoustics 2020 and a Pro-Ject TT would make a very nice starter system - all reputable brands that definitely do not make rubbish components. Obviously more money spent would equal better kit but did any of us start off with Hi end equipment?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Marantz pm5005 Q Acoustics 2020 and a Pro-Ject TT would make a very nice starter system - all reputable brands that definitely do not make rubbish components. Obviously more money spent would equal better kit but did any of us start off with Hi end equipment?

That's a good call.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts