Question New headphones - help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Annoyingly, I left my beloved Sennheiser Momentum 2 (over-ear, wired) somewhere in Dublin Airport, and they've not turned up 5 days later, so presume they're gone for good.

I'm now left with a confusing conundrum.

I have (and love) a Chord Mojo, but despite MoJo being a portmanteau for Mobile Joy, it's actually not been that joyful on the move. It's great on trains and aeroplanes, but a pain on the tube, and walking around (the micro USB-b is too loose and it's very stop-start). For that reason, rather than buying a Poly, it's likely to find itself on a famous auction site.

Also, the headphone jack (currently supported by my Samsung S9) is unlikely to feature in my next phone, so I'm looking at something wireless/USB C based – I’m android, not iOS. My big gripe (accentuated by the Sonos debacle) is that I want kit that lasts. I don't mind paying £100s for brilliant kit that lasts. I don't want to pay that for some wireless phones where the battery drops from 30hrs/charge to 12hrs within 2 years and is effectively pointless after 3. Something that can be relatively easily re-battery-ed would be good (I'm a dabbler and have replaced iPod batteries, phone cameras etc before).

From what I’ve read, quality USB-C wired headphones don't really exit, but happy to be proved wrong. I'd dearly love something that can be powered via USB-C in the normal, 3.5mm jack way...

My audition list so far is:

1. Sony WX-1000XM3
  2. B&W PX7
  3. Momentum 3.0
In terms of music, I like it clean and clear, bass as nature intended and a neutral/slightly warm sound. I use these a LOT for work calls, so clarity of the mic etc. for calls (including in slightly noisy environments is important). Music taste is eclectic - modern folk, jazz, ambient, proper r&b, rock (not metal, not rap).

What else would you recommend I try out?

Thanks – and sorry for the long-winded post!

D

Deleted member 188533

I don't know why Sennheiser likes that color scheme but my old HD598s have that tan and brown. Doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with the sound. :)

scene

that's what i did! I bought on amazon, as pictured (arrived last night). Not available anywhere else, and not available in the black that was advertised on Audio Affair.

The Audio Affair people were very nice when I called to speak to them about it, tho.
Glad you've got some! I quote like the look of the momentums. I've an old old pair of hd520s that need new pads, my goldrings are on their last legs and my grados need repairing, so I'm going to be in the market for some headphones soon... When I've saved up some money...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts