New Floorstanders to fit cabinet

JonnyBuoy

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an old pair of Revolution speakers that are blown and need replacing. Amp is a valve KT88 from Affordable Valve Company, CD player is also a valve player, Shanling CD-T100. The units sit in a bespoke wooden cabinet - photo below. So the replacement speakers need to fit the existing recesses - dimensions 96cm H x 29cm W. My budget is ~£1000. So far I have considered Monitor SIlver Audio 6 and Tannoy XT6F (which I think fit without plinth). Grateful to hear opinions on suitablity of either of these speakers or indeed any alternatives I should take a look at.

Thanks

Jon.

IMG_5174.jpg

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
whats the depth ?

its not really an ideal situation to put a floor standing speakers in a in closed cabinet like you have done .

what did your old speakers sound like being in closed like that anyway ?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
My vote goes for the Tannoys. Looking and sounding great, easy to drive (90db, 8ohms), will look better in that cabinet than what you have now.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Potentially 'microphonic' valves sitting inches away from a sub in what looks like a converted 1970s drinks cabinet.

Unless it is very dear to you - on some emotional/compassionate/nostalgic grounds - I would get rid of it and let your next speakers 'breathe'.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I had a look around depending on your depth

Monitor audio Silver 6 £999

Wharfedale DIamond A2 and Reva 3s both sets of speakers are £999 a pair

Acoustic Energy 305 3 series £999

Dali Zensor 5 Ax £799

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
Potentially 'microphonic' valves sitting inches away from a sub in what looks like a converted 1970s drinks cabinet.

Unless it is very dear to you - on some emotional/compassionate/nostalgic grounds - I would get rid of it and let your next speakers 'breathe'.

Thank you for saying what i was thinking.

JonnyBuoy

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your comments. Yep I realise it is a sonic no-no having decent speakers enclosed like that. In my (lame) defence I can only say that the existing pair don't have any rear ports, the sounds is all from the front so the interference is mitigated somewhat. To specific comments:

lpv: love it, we could start a "hifi for scuffers" forum, bet you have some nice banging out tunes in your kitchen *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25: 44cm, as mentioned they didn't sound too bad but I am evidently not an audiophile! Thanks for your suggestions I hadn't considered Reva or Acoustic, will check them out

Valdimir: thank you - the tannoys do look very smart

Chebby: excuse my ignorance but what does "microphonic valves" mean? Not a bad shout I guess I could convert it into a drinks cabinet *drinks*

nopiano: thank you for your suggestion, will check the Quad S-4 as well.

Mark Rose-Smith: well I certainly can't say that I'm not getting a clear groundswell of opinion on the cabinet! Mind you even though it might look like a dodgy 70's drink cabinet I think it probably does looks slightly better than a couple of cardboard boxes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts