New electronics

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought a pair of quad 21l's at quite a nice price from my dealer (250) pounds, doe's anyone know what gear would work well with these speakers? I will be buying of ebay and was thinking arcam, cyrus or musical fidelity, any suggestions welcome!!

A

Anonymous

All depends on what you like but for those, for me, I'd be investigating Cyrus, MF, Rotel, Roksan, Densen & Naim...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, im thinking along the lines of musical fidelity xa2 with a cyrus 8 cdp or a roksan kandy amp with an arcam cd192, I really want to get it right this time ive spent lot's of money over the years and lost alot of cash due to ill advised upgrades. When will i learn.

T

the record spot

Hi there, what sort of budget did you have in mind? Is Ebay your only option or would you consider going with used products from dealers too? Some offer a warranty with used products and this might be worth your while.

The prices can be as good (or lower than you might think - Shadow Audio in Glenrothes have an ex-demo Project X-Pack for £295 as an example, which now normally retails for around the £700 mark) so this is something you might want to give some thought to if you hadn't already considered it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="jimm"] I really want to get it right this time ive spent lot's of money over the years and lost alot of cash due to ill advised upgrades. When will i learn.[/quote]

No offense but probably when you start to listening to stuff yourself rather than to others

A

Anonymous

I have had a pair of Quad 11Ls (which are a lovely finish and very wife-friendly) with the following Cyrus kit for a while now:

CDXT, DAC-X, Cyrus 8 integrated + X-Power

It sounds good, but the speakers are definitely the limiting factor in my set-up and Im about to replace them.

Dont go over-doing the electronics side of things as although the 21Ls are nice speakers and produce a very good sound with better electronics, I fear they may still be a limiting factor with some of the kit you've mentioned above.

If you spend decent amount on the new electronics, this will be apparant and you'll get the itch to upgrade the Quad's I bet, which judging by your posts you wont want to do!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd agree with MF or Arcam but you must have listened to them at your dealers for you to make a decision that they are worth your cash (I hope). What did your hear them with?

A

Anonymous

I dont buy hifi without a listen first, however i made an exception with the quads as they were only 250 pound's (ex display) they were 600 new, ive used the 11l's with a musical fidelity xa1 amp and acyrus dad 3q cdp some years back so i bought with confidence, just wanted to know what brand's are known to work well with the quads.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="jimm"] I really want to get it right this time ive spent lot's of money over the years and lost alot of cash due to ill advised upgrades. When will i learn.[/quote]

No offense but probably when you start to listening to stuff yourself rather than to others
[/quote]

Well said that 'drummer'man! I personally feel that you will forever be in a circle of discontentment if you don't visit a good hifi shop, listen to some stuff properly and even try it at home first...

A

Anonymous

Of course ive taken prouduct's home to demo, thank's for the reply! Is the circle of discontentment a religious group? can i join?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dont take offence jimm, its one thing to buy 'remote' if you know what you want but in your case it clearly seems a 'bag a bargain' is more important than spending a few pounds more and be happier thereafter. As always, yours the choice, yours the money. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

i paid 250 pound's for speakers that cost 600 pound's, it clearly seem's i bagged a bargin..

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Fair enough, I'm not going to argue with you. Your past purchases, according to your earlier posting, clearly speak for themselves. Like we said, partner with warm, perhaps neutral amp with sweet treble.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts