New Dac help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a Dac. I currently listen to cds on my arcam diva cd192 and the dac i want would have to be at least as good as that. It would have to have usb input too as it would be conected to my htpc.

Haven't really got a budget in mind as I'm always prepared to save up if a good product warrants it, though anything over a grand would require something which was very special (ie teleportation, time travel capabilities!).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
smiley-wink.gif

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
helpmeimdrowning said:
Does this come with the Amy Pond, or is that extra?

Depends what era you visit? But back to your original question, there are people who have said that they have heard both the 192 against the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, and they have difficulty hearing the difference. Richer Sounds may well allow you to have a home trial, so that might be worth investigating?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
The CD192 is a really great machine and I reckon still competitive around it's original price point. I remember i took my Macbook and DacMagic over to my mate's, who has a '192, not so long ago, and we compared AIFF files fed from the macbook though the DM, with the disc of the same thing played back on the CD192 - neither of us could tell the difference between the two. We had them both playing simultaneously into 2 separate inputs on his amp and switched between them - every time either of us thought that there was a difference, we immediately doubted oursleves as soon as we switched. In conclusion if there was a difference then it was negligible - to either of our ears anyway.

So I think that if you want to upgrade on the CD192 with an external DAC, then I think you're going to have to spend some real money to make it worthwhile.

T

the record spot

Have to say limiting the 192 to the likes of the DACMagic is £230 wasted than well spent. A sidways move at best, but imagine the partnership would significantly reduce the Arcam's abilities (based on my somewhat jaundiced views of the DM as a DAC - in other words, IMHO and others will disagree).

A

Anonymous

Arcam,Musical Fidelity M1, the M2Tech 'Young' is Async USB 24/384, try and compare everything at home.
Keith.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
So I think that if you want to upgrade on the CD192 with an external DAC, then I think you're going to have to spend some real money to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, I think the OP has to make it clear whether this is meant to be an upgrade to the Arcam, or an entirely separate system?

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for the replies so far.

I plan on getting a dac with the aim of eventually losslessly ripping my music collection and phasing out the cdp. I'm currently using:

Arcam A85/P85 combo

Dali Ikon 6

Arcam CD192

I'm fairly comfortable spending between £500 - £1000, but I wouldn't want to make any compromises to the quality of sound I get atm. I'll be connecting it directly to my htpc which is connected to my NAS, so I don't need any bells or whistles, just a USB in.

Tahnks again!

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The new WHF mag (which I think went on sale today) I believe has 7 DACs reviewed so may be worth a look. Looks like it's going cheap if bought at Tesco too. (Any chance of commission...?)

helpmeimdrowning said:
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a Dac. I currently listen to cds on my arcam diva cd192 and the dac i want would have to be at least as good as that. It would have to have usb input too as it would be conected to my htpc.

Haven't really got a budget in mind as I'm always prepared to save up if a good product warrants it, though anything over a grand would require something which was very special (ie teleportation, time travel capabilities!).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
smiley-wink.gif

Maybe this will help.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/dacmagic-and-rdac-yet-to-be-convinced

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts