New Cyrus ONE HD

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
davidf said:
insider9 said:
It looks like they added Async USB which is definitely a good move.
Plus optical and coax digital inputs, which was something quite a few moaned about when it was first launched.

Yes, I was one of those to be honest. Mainly because I couldn't figure out why they'd included a DAC and only used it for a Bluetooth connection, which immediately alienated iOS users who can't access AptX.

The HD is a well-specced all-rounder now, although I do still have room for a little moan...

My TV is fairly old now and unusually has analogue RCA outputs, which are actually excellent. When I used them with my old stereo amp, the TV's output was surprisingly good. But looking at most modern TV's, they're almost all optical output only these days. So it's pretty much a given that that's one optical input used.

So if you wanted to connect your TV and a Chromecast by optical too for example, then you're snookered. I think two opticals would have actually been more useful to the majority than one optical / one coax. But maybe there are plenty of potential punters out there that would be satisfied. By contrast, Quad's Vena and Artera carry two optical inputs (and others too).

I did listen to the Cyrus One at Bristol. It was OK, but I do wonder whether it was actually a little limited by the speakers (that admittedly were designed specifically for the Cyrus One, albeit to a budget). Speakers are so personal, so I wouldn't like to judge the Cyrus amp based on that sole listen.

I probably should’ve worded it a little better than that - I didn’t mean it to come out so negatively - it was an issue many pointed out :)

The Cyrus speakers were designed for the Cyrus One, but the Cyrus One is more capable than that. I’ve used it with speaker three/four times its price.

I’ve never really looked into ecpxactly what a Chromecast does, but does it offer anything that a smart TV doesn’t?

insider9 said:
Indeed, missed these.

Is it a direct replacement or simply an improved version? Any indication of RRP?
The online video states it’s not a replacement for anything, and the website lists both of them (rather than just the HD version), so I presume they’re going to run alongside each other. I’ve not had any email regarding price as yet.

insider9

davidf said:
insider9 said:
Indeed, missed these.

Is it a direct replacement or simply an improved version? Any indication of RRP?
The online video states it’s not a replacement for anything, and the website lists both of them (rather than just the HD version), so I presume they’re going to run alongside each other. I’ve not had any email regarding price as yet.
Thank you David.

jjbomber

davidf said:
That would’ve been my guess, but I didn’t want to say anything in case I was wrong either way!

No need to guess; it's in the last paragraph of the news report on the home page.

''The HD One HD is priced at £999, compared to the £700 price sticker of its sibling.''

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to be thick but what does the extra £300 get you?

As far as I can tell, from this thread, it gets the optical and coax connections that it should have had right from the beginning (even a £350 Marantz amp has those as standard).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts