New Cyrus i7 XR

manicm

I don't know where you get the idea that it's not very convincing but. It looks like a typical HiFi Choice 'Recommended' review.
It will be interesting to see how it fares in a group test amongst like-priced amplifiers.

I said the rating was very good, but the actual review did not blow me away as the rating suggests.

manicm

I’ve read the review again, and it seems to be a very good amp within its limitations - I suppose there’s only so far 52w/6ohms can go.

I am surprised Cyrus did not further develop the Class D amps in the One line for the XR range. I just think something is amiss at this price level.

Are they ever going to update the actual amplification in the classic range?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
As a long time Cyrus user in the past and fan of the classic line I feel they perhaps have now fallen slightly behind, mainly on pricing grounds.

Compared with a Naim Unity Atom, some active speakers and other amplifiers it doesn't seem particularly good value. Would it be a thousand less, it would perhaps fit in better.

Of course, it may sound better than all of them but I wouldn't know.

Another thing I have noticed is that Cyrus have changed the case colour to previous versions. I get it that they want to distinguish the latest line (there is nothing else really they can do) but this makes it slightly annoying for owners of a previous series which may just want to change the head unit. It will look a little odd.

Cyrus have done this in the past when the surface case coatings were changed from smooth to textured or the other way round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
For example, a Quad Vena II is well below £1000 offering much the same.

Times have moved on and Cyrus may have to re-think their future product lines.

If they want to stay in the i7 XR price range I feel a complete re-design and heavy investment may be required? Naim, to use another example, still have their Classic line but also offer a (to these eyes) far more attractive and useful lifestyle range. I have a feeling much of their revenue nowadays comes from that but I could be wrong.

Another option for cyrus could (should?) have been to use the much praised Purify class D modules as in the NAD C298.

This would have added value and had gone a good way to explain the asking price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts