New CD Player

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello

My first post on here so please be gentle...

I have been very luck enough to win an Arcam Alpha Integrated 9 amp and B&W 602 S3 speakers on Ebay, the amp was won at £142 and the speakers at £107. Both items are in pristine condition, much a credit to the sellers so no complaints from me. I was also luck enough to win 6m of QED Silver Anniversery bi-wire (brand new) for £60!

Amazing prices i know, this is for my second system in the bedroom.

I am after a decent CD player to go with them and have been looking at the Arcam 7 SE that i have seen a few times on Ebay now (quite a few have been listed recently, soom in fantastic condition, some not).

I am prepared to speand upto £300 on a CD player, either off Ebay or a new one from a shop. I'd like some suggestions if possible? In regards to a CD player and maybe improving the connctions (interconnects mainly) I have been out of the hi-fi market for a number of years now so have lost touch with most things. I have to admit im a Bose Lifestyle 48 owner (it does everying i need really).

Im still young at 28 and thoroughly enjoy listening to music from Bonzo Dog / Jethro Tull / Pink Floyd (i blame my father and older brother) to Amy Winehouse, 'Back to Mine' collection (usually funky, soulful chill out music - well worth looking into if you havent already done so) to Hed Kandi to Iron Maiden & System of a Down (very weird/eclectic taste i know, apologies).

Anyways, the amp and speakers are well suited to me, powerful yet crips and clear (i have been an Arcam & B&W fan for years now).

All suggestions are greatly welcomed. Sorry to have waffled on

Dan

A

Anonymous

***Advice***

If you TRY a Cambridge Audio, please order it over the net and not in person in the shop. Then you'll be entitled to a hassle free refund if you don't like it. Unlike if you make a trip to the shop...

cheers

bloney

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Or the Marantz Cd6002 - £270 list price, and has just taken the Award-winning Cambridge Audio 640C V2 down a whole star. Yes, it's that good. Hear it!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Marantz Cd6002 - £270 list price[/quote]

I hope they are better than the last 6000 series as I though the timing was poor and bass was flabby.

A

Anonymous

As it's a second system and you don't mind the risk of second hand I'd look at a Arcam alpha 5,alpha 9,Rotel 965,Rotel 970,a Micromega stage,if it works OK,there is a certain risk with old players,but some of those you can pick up for beer money.

A

Anonymous

For older second hand, the Arcam Alpha 7SE, and the Marantz CD63 KI signiature were both very well recieved, and long term favourites of this magazine.
Looking at more recent products, the Arcam CD72T was a good buy a few years back.

Do remember that if you go for older used components there is always that risk that they are approaching the end of their lifespan. I fix up all my opwn equipment, but if you are not in a position to do so then be cautious with your cash.

A

Anonymous

hi,if your after a marantz cd6002 the folks in sevenoaks newcastle told me there would be no stock available untill the end of september.hope this is helpfull.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
I'd personally go for an Arcam CD player. You should be able to pick at Diva CD 72 or more for your budget from eBay. I had a CD62 before I upgraded to a CD92 also from eBay and was really please with the sound.

Simon.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I've had a 7SE and a CD92T. No comparison. in fact I would go as far to say that the Arcam Alpha 6 is a more refined sound than the 7. But buy something newer like the CD72 or 92. It's worth it.

A

Anonymous

Clare

I would also be interested to know how the Marantz CD 6002 rated against the Arcam DiVA CD73T and the NAD C542. These were both 5 star machines 12 months ago in the October 2006 Ultimate Guide, but they seem to have dropped from the various comparisons even though they are still currently on sale (unless you know something about this that we haven't heard yet). These comparative ratings have additional interest in Australia because exchange rates and import agency deals change the financial relativities. As an example, using current exchange rates, the Australian price of the NAD C542 is 297 pounds and the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C is 360 pounds.

And it would be nice to see reviews of the NAD Master series, especially the M5.

Regards

Michael

A

Anonymous

The CD6002 is out not. But i would not buy it for the price. I would much rather buy the marantz cd6000 ki-sig for under £200 on ebay. It easily outperforms the arcam cd 62 and 72.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="draj2k"]
The CD6002 is out not. But i would not buy it for the price. I would much rather buy the marantz cd6000 ki-sig for under £200 on ebay. It easily outperforms the arcam cd 62 and 72.

[/quote]

or a cd 63 KI for £150 - £170, still beat many £500 players today!

TRENDING THREADS