New cd player or Audiolab M-DAC

redbullmaster

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
My setup at the moment consists of kef LS50’s, Roksan Kandy K2 and a Marantz PM6003 cd player. My aim is to use the speakers for my movie viewing, as well as for music. So i want to upgrade my cd player to one with an optical input, which i can then plug my TV (Panasonic VT50) into. I've been looking at the Audiolab 8200 and the Marantz pearl lite, are there any others i should be looking at. My budget is up to £800, but i would prefer to spend closer to the £500 mark as Xmas is closing in.:)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I would have sugested the new Creek offering, the Evolution 50D, which ticks all your boxes and is supposed to be retailing at £550. However, it was due out Sept/Oct this year but no sign just yet. I asked Creek about this and they told me that the launch had been put back a bit to sort out some glitch or other.

redbullmaster

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks’ for the suggestion of the Creek, if it were available i would consider it. An other option is to get an Audiolab M-dac and then connect the Marantz to that. Reading online a lot of owner's rate the M-dac over the 8200. Would i get better cd performance connecting my Marantz though the M-dac, than using the 8200.

redbullmaster

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks’ for the suggestion of the Creek, if it were available i would consider it. An other option, is to get the Audiolab M-dac and then connect the Marantz to that. Reading online a lot of owner's rate the M-dac over the 8200. Would i get better cd performance connecting my Marantz though the M-dac, than using the 8200.

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
redbullmaster said:
Would i get better cd performance connecting my Marantz though the M-dac, than using the 8200.

I run my Marantz CD 6004 through an MDAC and theres a definate improvement in sound quality over the dac in the Marantz.

I've not heard the 8200 cd player but have read that the MDAC sounds better. Since the Marantz is being used as a transport the sonic signature is the MDAC, plus you save money as you've already got a cd player.

redbullmaster

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
I received the M-DAC yesterday, I was expecting to be wowed after reading all the reviews and positive feedback from people who own it.So i carefully unpacked it, took my time reading the manual and set it up within my existing system. I played it for an hour or so waiting for a revelation, butabsolutely no difference at all compared to my Marantz cd player. I thought there must be some subtle difference between the two, so plugged the Marantz back into the amp, played a track and switched between the two inputs straining my ears for any change in sound. If there is, my ears must be faulty as couldn't pick out anything. The plan now is to send it back and get a cheap £50 DAC, so i can plug my Panasonic into that.

redbullmaster

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
I received the M-DAC yesterday, I was expecting to be wowed after reading all the reviews and positive feedback from people who own it.So i carefully unpacked it, took my time reading the manual and set it up within my existing system. I played it for an hour or so waiting for a revelation, but absolutely no difference at all compared to my Marantz cd player. I thought there must be some subtle difference between the two, so plugged the Marantz back into the amp, played a track and switched between the two inputs straining my ears for any change in sound. If there is, my ears must be faulty as i couldn't pick out anything. The plan now is to send it back and get a cheap DAC, so i can plug my Panasonic into that.

A

Anonymous

A lot of electronics need burning in, i.e. their sound quality will improve with use over time up to a certain point.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Has the sound of yr system reached the peak of yr room acoustics? Only a suggested reason when many have suggested a likely improvement. Ears? Not all are created equal. If nothing else it shows that throwing money at hifi is not always useful.

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
redbullmaster said:
I received the M-DAC yesterday, I was expecting to be wowed after reading all the reviews and positive feedback from people who own it.So i carefully unpacked it, took my time reading the manual and set it up within my existing system. I played it for an hour or so waiting for a revelation, but absolutely no difference at all compared to my Marantz cd player. I thought there must be some subtle difference between the two, so plugged the Marantz back into the amp, played a track and switched between the two inputs straining my ears for any change in sound. If there is, my ears must be faulty as i couldn't pick out anything. The plan now is to send it back and get a cheap DAC, so i can plug my Panasonic into that.

I would'nt be too hasty the designer recommends at least 100 hours running in, also check what software version the MDAC is running.

To check the software version switch off the MDAC then press and hold the volume knob then switch the MDAC back on and the screen will show the software version, press the volume again to allow the MDAC to boot up. I'd guess it's version 99/97 as this is the version Audiolab ships MDAC's with. This version is available as a download on Audiolabs website for users who wish to upgrade from previous versions.

The general concensus is that v99/97 is the worst sounding although it does solve a minor bug in the original software and add a couple of features.

The prefered software is version 0.90 which Is the version my MDAC is running and to my ears sounds much better than v99/97 which my unit shipped with when purchased in october this year.

All software version's can be downloaded from http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC it also tells you how to change the software which is quick and easy to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts