New cartridge for cleaner highs

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi - I have a Pioneer PL510a turntable with Shure M95ED, feeding into the phono stage of a Linn Majik DSi.

My plan is to upgrade the table, but while I save up, I want to upgrade the cartridge and then transplant it onto the new table (probably a SH LP12).

I like the midrange warmth of the current setup and the soundstage is pretty good, but the bass is a bit woolly and the highs are quite mushy.

I might be asking for an impossible silver bullet, but is there a cart that would improve the bass and extend the highs without getting too bright - and also work on both the Pioneer arm and a future higher-end upgrade?

Budget is up to £350.

Thanks for any suggestions,

J

jas0_0 said:
Hi - I have a Pioneer PL510a turntable with Shure M95ED, feeding into the phono stage of a Linn Majik DSi.

My plan is to upgrade the table, but while I save up, I want to upgrade the cartridge and then transplant it onto the new table (probably a SH LP12).

I like the midrange warmth of the current setup and the soundstage is pretty good, but the bass is a bit woolly and the highs are quite mushy.

I might be asking for an impossible silver bullet, but is there a cart that would improve the bass and extend the highs without getting too bright - and also work on both the Pioneer arm and a future higher-end upgrade?

Budget is up to £350.

Thanks for any suggestions,

J

This will, as you realise, depend somewhat on the tonearm that your upgrade turntable is going to come fitted with. However since the majority are of medium weights I would suggest you will not be going far wrong with the often recommended Nagaoka MP200 or something from the Audio Technica range like the VM740ML

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to both of you.

I’ve heard A/T tend to be brighter and more detailed. Does Nagaoka also have a house sound?

Also, WHF seems to rate Goldring - are they also worth a look, or not right for my situation?

jas0_0 said:
Thanks to both of you.

I’ve heard A/T tend to be brighter and more detailed. Does Nagaoka also have a house sound?

Also, WHF seems to rate Goldring - are they also worth a look, or not right for my situation?

Goldrings are good but possibly not the best value for money. They tend to be a slightly heavier cartridge in some of their ranges. It really is going to depend on what tonearm you are likely to end up with after upgrade, although something like the 1022 should suit most arms.

Judging by the number of cartridges WHF actually review I would be wary of their opinions in this regard. The latest HiFi Choice magazine 6 cartridge shoot out is well work a read.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts