New cartridge conundrum - Lyra Kleos/ EAT Jo no8

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I currently own a Lyra Delos. Fantastic cartridge and has given me many hours of quality listening.
I'm hoping to upgrade in the next 6 months, but am not sure which way to go.
I like the Lyra sound, so moving up to the Lyra Kleos makes a lot of sense, especially as they accept a decent trade in price on the Delos, making it a decent deal, but also takes the Delos off my hands.
I also use an EAT E Glo Petit phono stage, which raises the question of moving to an EAT cartridge. The EAT Jo no 5 gets a good write up, but I don't really see this as a step up. However, EAT have just released the Jo no 8, which could be an interesting choice given the synergy with the EAT phono stage. There is scant info regarding the cart at the moment and if I was pursuaded, I would be left with the Delos to try and move on, rather than a trade in.
Does anyone have any comments/suggestions regarding the Kleos and the Jo no8?
I also ought to add that this would be fixed into a Linn Ekos arm.
I'm also considering upgrading my tone arm cable to Chord Company, to match my inter connects and speaker cables.

Thanks.

As you say very little out there regarding the Jo No.8 but I would agree that the synergy with your phono preamp should be ideal.
Cartridges are a pain to recommend as they are not something you can go and compare with others, more often than not.
For this sort of outlay I'd definitely want to hear what the 8 has over and above the 5.

I do find it strange they bring out a new tonearm suitable for low compliance cartridges and then follow it with this high compliance cartridge.......

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarkey_71

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I've just read the review of the 8. It makes a very compelling case, though the author has previously provided very positive reviews for other EAT products to. No suggestion of an interest here, just making an observation. It's a serious financial outlay when the opportunity to audition is practically non existent. It has probably created more questions than answers, but that's hifi for you!!!!

I've just read the review of the 8. It makes a very compelling case, though the author has previously provided very positive reviews for other EAT products to. No suggestion of an interest here, just making an observation. It's a serious financial outlay when the opportunity to audition is practically non existent. It has probably created more questions than answers, but that's hifi for you!!!!
It certainly is. Cartridges are the hardest things to try it audition, many impossibly so. In the end you just have to bite the bullet and understand that if you don't like what you get you're going to have to take a bit of a financial hit when you sell it on.
P.S.: If you do I'd like first refusal..... :)

Paul,
Just wondered if you knew about trying to fit an EAT cartridge to your tonearm.
I have seen on some websites the warning about trying to fit them to forearms such as Ekos SE and Akita as sidewall of headshell does not allow enough adjustment and could cause damage to body of cartridge.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Paul,
Just wondered if you knew about trying to fit an EAT cartridge to your tonearm.
I have seen on some websites the warning about trying to fit them to forearms such as Ekos SE and Akita as sidewall of headshell does not allow enough adjustment and could cause damage to body of cartridge.

I hadn't seen that. Where was that? That's certainly something to consider. I wonder how I could find out definitively? I guess a message to Linn.
Cheers for the heads up.

I hadn't seen that. Where was that? That's certainly something to consider. I wonder how I could find out definitively? I guess a message to Linn.
Cheers for the heads up.
Scroll to the bottom of the webpage listed below.
I am not sure if the headshell of your Ekos differs from the Ekos SE though or if same applies to Jo no.8

www.audiodestination.co.uk/e-a-t-jo-no-5-moving-coil-cartridge

Note that this refers to the No.5 and may not apply to the No. 8

No problem.
Myself I am considering investigating the Hana ML, allegedly "the best £3000 - 4000 cartridge you can buy for £995"

Last edited:

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Scroll to the bottom of the webpage listed below.
I am not sure if the headshell of your Ekos differs from the Ekos SE though or if same applies to Jo no.8

www.audiodestination.co.uk/e-a-t-jo-no-5-moving-coil-cartridge

Note that this refers to the No.5 and may not apply to the No. 8

No problem.
Myself I am considering investigating the Hana ML, allegedly "the best £3000 - 4000 cartridge you can buy for £995"

Cheers for the link. I will try to find out if the no8 fits or not.
I'm not familiar with the cart you mention, but will check it out.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Reactions: Al ears
Cheers for your research on this. I actually stumbled across that article myself least week and contacted the author. He did get back, but wasn't familiar with the ekos arm. I'll have to contact Linn and EAT at some point.
No problem. I have been interested in the No.5 for a while now and wondered if I would have issues fitting it to my SME arm so then looked at the Hana cartridge.
Please let me know if you successfully get the No.8 fitted to your Ekos.
I hope you can as it appears to be a future classic......

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
No problem. I have been interested in the No.5 for a while now and wondered if I would have issues fitting it to my SME arm so then looked at the Hana cartridge.
Please let me know if you successfully get the No.8 fitted to your Ekos.
I hope you can as it appears to be a future classic......

Will do. I will have to wait until probably Feb/March, but I do hope I can mount the cart in my arm.

Reactions: Al ears

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I'm still not able to find any reference to the EAT JO no 8 being fitted to an early model Linn Ekos.
I think it's too much of a financial gamble to buy one, only to find I can't fit it to my arm.
This is all pushing me back towards the Lyra Kleos, which is no bad thing, given the fact I can trade in my current Delos.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts