New cart or phono preamp?

Kaline

Feb 15, 2022
Visit site
I’ve currently got a Project Debut Carbon using the standard Ortofon Red 2M cartridge. This runs into a Yamaha Aventage 770 receiver and out to Klipsch RP600Ms. It all sounds “fine”, but not “great”. I’m looking to upgrade but not sure where to start. I’ve been looking at the Ortofon Blue cartridge, or some kind of phono pre-amp (Project S2?). The Yamaha has a phono input, but I’m not sure if using a phono preamp would make a noticeable improvement.
Obviously it would be great to just buy both but that’s not an option right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: Dave B
I’ve currently got a Project Debut Carbon using the standard Ortofon Red 2M cartridge. This runs into a Yamaha Aventage 770 receiver and out to Klipsch RP600Ms. It all sounds “fine”, but not “great”. I’m looking to upgrade but not sure where to start. I’ve been looking at the Ortofon Blue cartridge, or some kind of phono pre-amp (Project S2?). The Yamaha has a phono input, but I’m not sure if using a phono preamp would make a noticeable improvement.
Obviously it would be great to just buy both but that’s not an option right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Generally, built-in phono stages are very good regardless of the brand or price point. I would look at a Goldring or ClearAudio carts. They work well with Pro-ject tables. I've owned the Xpression 1 with a ClearAudio Classic Wood cart (no longer produced). The ClearAudio Concept is but it's around £200.

Reactions: Kaline

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
One of the best bang for buck upgrade in sq I have ever heard in my system was a Ortofon 2m blue......BUT...... that was going from a om10 cart and...still a budget project tt, although I had a trichord dino mk3 and naim nait xs with my pmc speakers at that time.....I actually even preferred the 2m blue over a audio technica ptg mkiii that I upgraded to. Not a like for like situation, I know but it shows that the 2m blue is very capable and has headroom when you do decide to upgrade the rest of your system when funds allow.

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
You could just buy a 2M blue stylus as it fits in the red cartridge. They share the same cart but just have a different stylus. That is what I did. I would suggest that before changing carts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts