New Audiolab 8000p - opinions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading my power amp (currently have a Cambridge Audio pre and power) to a Audiolab 8000p. I had an 8000a integrated amp many years ago and really liked it. The 8000p used to cost way over £600 new, but I see can ones for under £300. I understand these are made in China, which I am not bothered by. What I am bothered about is the quality of sound. Has anyone compared to new to old? Failing that is the new one any good?

Alternatively what are my alternatives (up to £300 inc. secondhand) for power amps?

My speakers are Kef Ref 103/4.

I could also go integrated, I am prepared to go up to £400 (inc. secondhand). Any recommendations?

Many thanks, in anticipation,

Simon

A

Anonymous

Well the 8000P certainly floats my boat, you'd probably want to pair it with an 8000Q/c/a/s amp though. Your 8000A (if you still have it) will have pre-outs but may need modifying to enable them. I nearly got a Q, but I got the C in the end which was a definate and marked increase in quality over my single 8000A patricularly in the frequency extremes and the ambient noise level. The 8000Q is.. well even newer and better, so I gather. Have a look on Ebay,. I got both my amps from there, total of just under £500. Only the 8000C was second hand and in great condition, P was brand new.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Which Cambridge pre/power do you have? It would help to know how good the preamp is.

I've only ever had a brief listen to the 'new' 8000P, but I was impressed. However, do agree with Mr P that the old ones make a very good secondhand buy.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Mr P and Andrew for your replies.

I currently have a Cambridge Audio A75 with C75. With the Kef Reference 103/4 it seems to lack a little depth.

The Power Amp also seems a have a fault. Plus to be quite frank, I want a change.

I have been tracking the Audiolab 8000p models which come up in ebay and they come up at 200-350ukp range. Well I can get a new one (albeit made in China) for 300UKP. But I dont know if I am comparing like with like in terms of sound quality.

Simon

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, that preamp will be fine with upgrades of power amp. And the new power amps are very good indeed, so you could buy one of those, or indeed an old one, with confidence.

A

Anonymous

I would suggest giving some newer speakers a listen too, A friend of mine had the Kef's your talking about, not sure on exact model but they look exactly the same... they were the ones with the flat bass driver thingamy in the bottom of the cabinet. Big things, suprisingly good sound for something so obviously old. I suspect newer speakers might give you the gusto your after.

one thing I thought was awesome about them though was they didn't have the 35-40Khz +/-3db rating or somesuch, they had a logarithmic frequency response curve attributed to them, so you could see the rolloff and everything. There was a graph right there printed on the rear of the speaker.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again Mr Polekski and Andrew, I really appreciate your advice. I am only surprised more people did not have any experience/opinions of the 8000p.

Thanks again,

Simon

A

Anonymous

I sold many audiolab's series in many years,in my opinion,8000p can't drive 103.4 well,because there are two bass unit inside,maybe lack bass,my suggestion: suitable amp is 2X8000M .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts