News New Arcam amps coming soon

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

16 channels :oops::oops::oops:
Crazy init? I am not liking the way home cinema is going with all these channels and DTS X and Dolby Atmos I will never buy into these features at all. Imagine how much money that would cost with extras speakers for each of those channels especially if you are buying quality brands...

scene

I absolutely love Arcam amps - for their sound and musicality. But the firmware/software has always been an absolute nightmare... bugs that don't get fixed, clunk interfaces. And although they are brilliant for sound, they can be late adopters, rather than leading the pack. E.g. HDMI 2.0 on their flagship AVR amp - OK it's probably on an board that can be upgraded (from what I can make out) - but really?
And they seem to be flipping about a bit on the exact Dirac support they're giving.

As for the 16 channels. To be fair - the actual amp does 7 channels out amplified, with the others available on pre-out - which I think is a sensible approach. 7 channels is OK for most users - though a little disappointed you can't run a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 without buying another amp/processor - especially at that cost level...

Reactions: Deleted member 2457

scene

gel - it’s why I like the Anthem stuff, as they still do a 5.1 Only and a 7.1 only amplifier, without all the extra amplification/processing/connections etc - most rooms don’t need Atmos, and most people don’t want Atmos - it’s a struggle for most to get 5.1 in their living rooms.
Agreed - especially when there is a significant other you have to persuade... "Why do we need all those speakers...?"

D

Deleted member 2457

gel - it’s why I like the Anthem stuff, as they still do a 5.1 Only and a 7.1 only amplifier, without all the extra amplification/processing/connections etc - most rooms don’t need Atmos, and most people don’t want Atmos - it’s a struggle for most to get 5.1 in their living rooms.
One thing I would be after was the ability to set it up by myself so that could persuade me to go for Athem amps possibly, although the Arcam amps still review really well without Diret Live. I know if you are spending £3500 on an amp though paying for it to be setup right is a small price to pay and I know a guy who can setup it up for around £150 which is quite good.

D

Deleted member 2457

Which amp would you guys go for out of the following:
Denon 8500 at £3200
Denon 3600 at £1000
Arcam 850 at £3500
Athem 520 at £1700?

Thanks.

Samd

I would go for the Anthem cos that's what I have and love it. I previously had a Denon and it was very good but my AVR has to double-up for HiFi and, in that respect, the Anthem knocks spots of the Denon (IMO) plus the Anthem Room Correction for both hard and software is very good. You get a calibrated mic with 'proper' tripod.

D

Deleted member 2457

I would go for the Anthem cos that's what I have and love it. I previously had a Denon and it was very good but my AVR has to double-up for HiFi and, in that respect, the Anthem knocks spots of the Denon (IMO) plus the Anthem Room Correction for both hard and software is very good. You get a calibrated mic with 'proper' tripod.
How much does calibration cost mate?

Samd

About 15 to 20 minutes of your time. Everything you need is included. It's genuinely plug and play in that you set up the mic (shown on your video above) in position and hit enter when it will cycle through all your speakers. Having repeated that for different listening positions (you choose the number) it will churn away for a few seconds and then automatically upload the results to your Anthem AVR. Job done.

D

Deleted member 2457

About 15 to 20 minutes of your time. Everything you need is included. It's genuinely plug and play in that you set up the mic (shown on your video above) in position and hit enter when it will cycle through all your speakers. Having repeated that for different listening positions (you choose the number) it will churn away for a few seconds and then automatically upload the results to your Anthem AVR. Job done.
Wow! Cool. How is it at the basics because I was looking at the remote control and I couldn’t see TV button for optical cable sound for basic TV sound and how about Bluetooth and CD on the amp? Thanks. Actually I suppose with Bluetooth built in I wouldn’t use the CD connection for my Arcam r-Blink anymore.

D

Deleted member 2457

This looks the best price for the Anthem and you can trade in too:

Oh yeah I have seen optical inputs on the images on this link.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2457

WHF like the Anthem 510 the previous gen one:

TRENDING THREADS