New Apple TV Due??

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Given the current model has been out a good few years I'd imagine yes, a new one must be in the pipeline. For £79 and £25 vouchers I'd buy one if it would actually do something useful like stream movies from a NAS drive.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I think I've totally missed the attraction of Apple TVs, except for jailbroken ones which can play catchup TV.

I use mine as an AEX most of the time, ie to stream music, but it sometimes gets used for viewing pics and streaming video or watching music vids.

All of which could be done on something like a Roku or WDTV Live and cheaper, but I sometimes wonder about the stability of other systems.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Had no problems with my WD Live except it takes three weeks to boot. But I can live with that seeing that it has an iPlayer, Spotify and supports MP4 movie-streaming from my NAS, none of which my 4yr old 40" 'Smart' TV will do because Panasonic won't supply the required updates, they'd rather I went out and blew another £600+ on a new TV which isn't going to happen. In an ideal world it would play the music in my iTunes library (also on the NAS) so I can put on some background music now and again without always needing to have the the Mac running. But I guess I can't have everything.

daveh75 said:
Overdose said:
I sometimes wonder about the stability of other systems.

Why?

steve_jobs_by_rware-d3af4rz.jpg

Paul.

To be fair, the atv3 is more stable than my Chronecast, 2012 samsung smart hub and the built in services on my Marantz amp. It has been rock solid reliable. I probably use chromecast the most however, as casting from an ipad in netflix or plex is an easier and more enjoyable experiance. It desperately needs Ethernet however.

Smart hub is the best for available contents, but is really frustrating the way the tv manages surroundsound.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Overdose said:
I sometimes wonder about the stability of other systems.

Why?

Perhaps stability wasn't entirely the right word, but I have dabbled in numerous OSs and used various media players in the past and there was always a bit of a faff getting it all set up.

The last system before my Apple stuff (a while ago now to be fair) consisted of a Linkstation Live NAS and a micro ATX Pc running XBMC on Mint. It wasn't as slick as an AEX setup, but then this might have been as much a NAS issue, as Pc software.

All are much of a muchness though and Apple just seems to be what I have fallen in with, largely so that all devices in the house are compatible. The great thing is that there's a big choice out there and a setup to suit a range of budgets and requirements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts