New amps vs old amps

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I am in the process of (at low cost) trying to replicate a system I had years ago and wished I had never sold. It will be one of those labours of love things that I will still use.

I had a Marantz PM66SE and CD63 SE KI years ago and sold them (I know I know....) and would like to get another of each. I am just curious as to, with the amp, would it be worse/same as the equivalent Marantz stuff today? I recall the 66 being fantastic at the time but as the years and technology have moved on I am curious about reading forum opinions that it would still beat many of the amps on sale as new today.

Would you also consider that this was probably Marantz's 'classic' at that price point or are there others that are considered better (either from them or others like NAD))

Would be interested to hear the views and also pointers to where particularly good ones can be found.

Thank you.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Apart from newer classes like D and G, amplifier technology is pretty mature and the basics haven't moved on in leaps and bounds. Maybe some manufacturers engineer for a house sound that is airier and more open than used to be popular. No idea how the Marantz sound holds up or has changed, but my dad's Luxman from the 70s still sounds great. I'd personally seek out an older amp like the one you had and maybe get it serviced and recapped if necessary.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Spot on.
thumbs_up.gif

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
ID. said:
Apart from newer classes like D and G, amplifier technology is pretty mature and the basics haven't moved on in leaps and bounds. Maybe some manufacturers engineer for a house sound that is airier and more open than used to be popular. No idea how the Marantz sound holds up or has changed, but my dad's Luxman from the 70s still sounds great. I'd personally seek out an older amp like the one you had and maybe get it serviced and recapped if necessary.

That was exactly my thought and probably what I'll do. Is there anywhere that anyone knows of, reputably (and preferably in the NW) who would service and recap it? If there's nobody local to me then somewhere I can courier it to and fee confident about getting it back *biggrin*

Also, and this may be a stupid question but would such an amp be capable of playing modern standard files such as FLAC and 24 bit audio?

Final question - I can get hold of a PM66SE for about 60 quid and the KI version for nearer £150 - is the latter worth the difference?

Thanks again.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Paulq said:
Final question - I can get hold of a PM66SE for about 60 quid and the KI version for nearer £150 - is the latter worth the difference?

Is it better? Yes. Improvements in the KI version include fully copper plated chasis, toroid transformer etc.

Is it worth the difference? Up to you really.

Real gems to look out for are the PM-84, PM-94, PM-95, PM-11, PM-14, PM-15, PM-16, PM-17, PM-19, Esotec PM-4, PM-5, PM-6, PM-8, DC 170, SH-A20...

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Is it better? Yes. Improvements in the KI version include fully copper plated chasis, toroid transformer etc.

Is it worth the difference? Up to you really.

Real gems to look out for are the PM-84, PM-94, PM-95, PM-11, PM-14, PM-15, PM-16, PM-17, PM-19, Esotec PM-4, PM-5, PM-6, PM-8, DC 170, SH-A20...

Well under normal circumstances it would be but I haven't heard one for a long while so I guess what I am asking is 'do people who have heard both consider that the KI is worth the extra £100'?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Here's one for matthewpiano if he can help me as I know he's quite an authority on NAD stuff.

Out of the old and new stuff which would be the ones you would look at? I recall I had an old C320 or maybe C340 (can't remember) but the 'new' C320BEE and C326BEE also look decent - how do they compare to the old ones? Also the C316BEE?

Same question for their CD players too please and hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Paulq said:
Here's one for matthewpiano if he can help me as I know he's quite an authority on NAD stuff.

Out of the old and new stuff which would be the ones you would look at? I recall I had an old C320 or maybe C340 (can't remember) but the 'new' C320BEE and C326BEE also look decent - how do they compare to the old ones? Also the C316BEE?

Same question for their CD players too please and hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

I own both a NAD C350 owned from new since around 2000 & also a NAD C326BEE owned from new since 2013. There is very little between them, both are very capable amplifiers and both offer very similar performance. The main differences are things like different colour LEDs, the new ones have blue, the old ones have green. The tone defeat switch is now switchable on the remote as well as on the front panel.

The older amps dials feel more weighty in use, particularly the volume pot. Both sound very big and powerful when pushed, yet also refined. I have had to repair my old C350 though and some of the older NAD amps can still command a decent price on the secondhand market. I'd want to make sure that the overall condition of that particular generation of C320, C340, C350 etc... Was in good order before paying 3 figures for them. I'm a big fan of NAD amplifiers my current 2 are my most favourite amps I've ever had and they are both at the heart of 2 different systems.

The old C370 was a bit of a legend and very powerful, again though they can have problems if they have seen heavy use and not been serviced.

As as for the Marantz amps, I'd want the KI sig purely for it's status. There were significant internal improvements over the the standard SE versions. A friend of mine had a PM66 SE and I was never impressed by it.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Well, I just bought a mint PM66SE KI and CD63 KI this evening so, apart from the speakers, that completes the replication of the Marantz system I used to own and cherish.

I am in with a shout of a mint NAD C320BEE also but if that doesn't come off I'm gonna buy a new C326BEE.

Matthewpiano - any views and advice?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts