New amplifier and speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello to all out there,

I'm new to this forum so first of all, Hello :)
I've been lurking around and have been reading a lot of posts but have only just joined up now.

I'm after a new amplifier and speakers to replace my old Pioneer amp and some old mini hifi speakers I have been making do with for far too long.

My budget is about £800 for the amplifier and the the speakers. I might be able to stretch it slightly but I've been saving forever to get here so I can't really go crazy as a £1500 amplifier is way out of my price range.

I've been looking at countless reviews and am concentrating on Bookshelfs as I don't have the space or money for floorstanders at the moment.
I have found the Morduant Short Mezzo 2 speakers that really appeal to me. I like the design of them and since I was firstly looking at 902i's, these are the latest from the MS range.

I don't think they've been reviewed as yet but if anyone has anything to say on them I'd much appreciate your input.

As for the amplifier, I was looking at the Denon 1500ae.
I listen to a bit of everything, but mostly electronica, deep house, tek-house, soundtracks, ambient, and experimental.
So, I'd be looking at the amp and speakers to work together. Would these work ok ? Anyone screaming out "Don't do it!", what do you think ?

Thankyou in advance for your help.

Tim.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tim, and welcome!

Firstly, what sort of source are you using (CD/Vinyl etc and what make/model) as this will help the guys give some advice on the best "match" for your sound.

Secondly, I'm a bit biased, but think that the current Rotel RA-04 is a cracking amp which then gives you somewhere around £600 to play with speaker-wise. Are you wanting floorstanders or standmount/bookshelf speakers?

A

Anonymous

Hi, and thanks for the welcome.

I'm looking at bookshaelf speakers due to not having the room for fllorstanders at the moment.
Once I have a bigger place, I'll probably invest in fllorstanders to go with my new setup, but for the moment, bookshelves it is.

The source will be CD player and computer, but mostly computer for ease of use and until I replace my old Phillips 723 CD Player.
I have transferred all my music on to the PC as wav's and have a M-Audio Audiophile card in there too.
I also have a turntable so will be hooking that up to, but it will rarely be used.

I will check out the Rotel. A few people I spoke to in a shop actually did tell me to listen to both a Rotel and the Denon so I will probably do that next week.

Anyone have any views on the speakers or know when they are going to be reviewed ?

Many thanks,

Tim.

A

Anonymous

I'm not a fan of the Mezzo range, they do provide more detail than the Avanti range (902i etc.) but unlike the 902i for instance the Mezzo 2 is a dull listen. It highs are less clear and the midrange is a little more laidback. They don't sound alike at all. Demo before you buy as they sound very different and may not be for you. One thing though, they might not impress on first listen but you may need to give them some time.

John Duncan

The Rotel (or NAD for a bit more oomph) plus a pair of AVI Neutron IVs would be quite nice...........

Also consider the Marantz PM7001, which is dearer but punches above its weight to my ears. There's always the Marantz PM6002 as well, which I found a tad rough, but it is a bargain just now and with a smooth pair of 600 quid speakers might be just the job.

A

Anonymous

Will definately check all of that out.
Many thanks for your replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts