New Amp Volume

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently got a new system compising Cambridge A740 amp and C740 CD player, with Tangent Clarity 8 speakers, and I'm well chuffed with it! I do have a question about the amp which I'm hoping some decent soul can help with. Basically, the volume needs to be at least half way round the scale before it produces what I consider a decent volume, despite it being rated at 100wpc. ('decent volume' to me is not deafening, but you need to shout over it) My last amp, an old Audiolab 8000A, produced the same sort of sound level at about 9 o'clock on a similar scale, and it was only 60wpc (I think). I've swapped new amp/old speakers around and vice versa, and the Cambridge needs to be set higher than the Audiolab. It certainly goes plenty loud enough when I turn it up, so I don't think there's a fault with the amp, but I was just wondering if anyone with Cambridge amps had noticed this?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drowningwitch"]
I recently got a new system compising Cambridge A740 amp and C740 CD player, with Tangent Clarity 8 speakers, and I'm well chuffed with it! I do have a question about the amp which I'm hoping some decent soul can help with. Basically, the volume needs to be at least half way round the scale before it produces what I consider a decent volume, despite it being rated at 100wpc. ('decent volume' to me is not deafening, but you need to shout over it) My last amp, an old Audiolab 8000A, produced the same sort of sound level at about 9 o'clock on a similar scale, and it was only 60wpc (I think). I've swapped new amp/old speakers around and vice versa, and the Cambridge needs to be set higher than the Audiolab. It certainly goes plenty loud enough when I turn it up, so I don't think there's a fault with the amp, but I was just wondering if anyone with Cambridge amps had noticed this?

[/quote]

The precise rotation of the control isn't important just as long as it goes loud enough.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It's far better to have more control over the volume knob which is what your new hifi does. I had a Pioneer A400 that I couldn't turn above 10 o'clock, now I have Arcam which I have to spin the knob round fully before it reaches that level. However, it still goes plenty loud enough...and with control.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
sorry,just reread your post again.the amp is new, give it an hour to warm up a bit then give it a whirl plus it has to bed in. new equipment takes it's time to adjust.

A

Anonymous

actually, speaking of CA amps can anyone tell me this: does anyone else experience a balance problem with their CA amps until the volume is turned above say 20%? i have owned three CA amps (A5, and 2 x 540A) and also tested the 640A and they all dont have even output through either headphone output or speaker output at low levels. keep in mind you couldnt use the headphone output with the volume over 20% as it would be too loud! in fact, this problem is the reson i ditched CA altogether and moved to Arcam... just seems strange that these amps that are so highly praised have such a basic problem...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]It's far better to have more control over the volume knob which is what your new hifi does. I had a Pioneer A400 that I couldn't turn above 10 o'clock, now I have Arcam which I have to spin the knob round fully before it reaches that level. However, it still goes plenty loud enough...and with control.[/quote]

Yeh, fair point, I guess that makes sense. Like I said, it goes to ear-splitting levels when I wind it right up, so there's no lack of oomph, and it does make sense to be able to use ALL the volume control's range, rather than just the first few degrees of it.
Muchos grassyarse to all who answered!

A

Anonymous

Hey Drowning Witch - we gotta a 740A and normal listening levels are around -40dB to -50dB for evening listening - the 'bar graph' is around half way round then.

At the moment it's set as a fixed input as a power amp for bi-amping. The other amp is an old Arcam Alpha 7 and I find the treble a bit smoother, but it lacks the punch and crispness of the CA - so the b-amping thing works well with it.

It's interesting to note that the Arcam volume only needs to be switched on a smidgeon before reaching my normal listening level. This doesn't mean it'll be louder - thats just the (log?) response of the knob. It gives the impression of being more powerful though when trying to tweak the volume!

I've not noticed the imbalance problem on the 640A or either of two 740A's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts