New Amp/Speakers Quuestion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I would suggest the XTZ set-up of 99.36 speakers with their ribbon tweeter powered by the XTZ D3 amp. That would be under £2k and sounds stunning. Detailed treble and powerful bass.

Also consider the PMC GB1i's perhaps driven by a Naim amp.

Good call on the XTZ D3 .

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
moon said:
I took quite a long look and listen to the 8050 recently, whilst I liked the sound quality and the feature count, I thought the build quality let itself down. Having said that it's only 250 pounds at the moment so bomb proof isn't always available. Stick it next to the Marantz 6004 and you can see the difference, the Marantz doesn't have the feature count of the Onkyo at all but sound quality wise, I thought it sounded beautiful, and quite an improvement on the 6003.

So I guess if you need the features then the Onkyo would suit, however, If it's just sound quality you want the 6004 is the business for 250 pounds.

Big difference in sound quality between the two, moon? Can you describe the difference if there was any?

Honestly the difference in sound quality between the two isn't miles apart to my ears, but the Marantz has just got that extra bit of refinement and clarity that the Onkyo didn't. To me they both represent excellent value. The Marantz on build quality and sound quality the Onkyo on sound quality and feature count. Weirdly some one described the Marantz as boxed in, I think, i think it sounds spacious and open. Sorry, really difficult to describe sound.... it's so subjective and only my opinion.

If it was a decision based purely on High Fidelity, the Marantz is for me.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
As an aside, previously in this thread, someone described the Marantz as " poor quality". really, truly this just isn't the case. It boggles my mind...........

matthewpiano

moon said:
As an aside, previously in this thread, someone described the Marantz as " poor quality". really, truly this just isn't the case. It boggles my mind...........

Completely agree. I'm a big fan of Marantz kit and I don't think they make anything that could fairly be described as 'poor quality'. The PM6004, like the 6003 before it, is a well made and good quality budget amp with excellent sound quality.

Where I slightly disagree is in the comparisons but it is all subjective at the end of the day. I still had my PM6003 when the 6004 came out and I looked at and listened to the new model quite closely to see whether it would be worth changing to. Whilst I do think the 6004 improves further on the 6003 I don't think it is a night and day difference, and I prefer the sound of the Onkyo to either. To me Marantz amps do suffer with slightly slow sounding bass. The 6004 is a good step up in this respect over the 6003 but the trait is still there.

In terms of build quality, I'd say the Onkyo is pretty good. It feels more solid than the budget Yamaha amps and there is nothing about the build that particularly concerns me. I certainly wouldn't say it was particularly lagging behind the Marantz.

Anyway, we are talking about several examples of really good budget kit here - a great reason for the OP to organise some demos before deciding what to spend the money on.

T

the record spot

moon said:
I took quite a long look and listen to the 8050 recently, whilst I liked the sound quality and the feature count, I thought the build quality let itself down. Having said that it's only 250 pounds at the moment so bomb proof isn't always available. Stick it next to the Marantz 6004 and you can see the difference, the Marantz doesn't have the feature count of the Onkyo at all but sound quality wise, I thought it sounded beautiful, and quite an improvement on the 6003.

So I guess if you need the features then the Onkyo would suit, however, If it's just sound quality you want the 6004 is the business for 250 pounds.

edit, I see you have already auditioned the 6004. well trying it at home with run in speakers is probably a better test. Anywaygood luck with your search . note. the last way I would ever describe the 6004 is boxed in as has been previously mentioned in this thread.

Re: build - have to differ to some extent. Solid metal casing, aluminium fascia are all big plus points in my book. The "letdown" is as per Yamaha - plastic dials for the front knobs and some kind of rubbery/plastic compound for the volume knob. Yes, for price you can't argue at £250, or at the £400 price point, given that the AS700 amp (Yamaha's that is) fell down at exactly the same hurdle. Otherwise, build is good.

RE: Sound quality: - again have to differ. I've heard several amps, albeit not the 6004, but as MP says, I too don't feel like I'm losing out. Personal choice of course (or preferences) and horses for courses and all that. Best thing to do is to listen, but this is more than just a "features" amp. And if course, the partnering speakers will have a big say in things too I feel.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
moon said:

edit, I see you have already auditioned the 6004. well trying it at home with run in speakers is probably a better test. Anywaygood luck with your search . note. the last way I would ever describe the 6004 is boxed in as has been previously mentioned in this thread.

Re: build - have to differ to some extent. Solid metal casing, aluminium fascia are all big plus points in my book. The "letdown" is as per Yamaha - plastic dials for the front knobs and some kind of rubbery/plastic compound for the volume knob. Yes, for price you can't argue at £250, or at the £400 price point, given that the AS700 amp (Yamaha's that is) fell down at exactly the same hurdle. Otherwise, build is good.

RE: Sound quality: - again have to differ. I've heard several amps, albeit not the 6004, but as MP says, I too don't feel like I'm losing out. Personal choice of course (or preferences) and horses for courses and all that. Best thing to do is to listen, but this is more than just a "features" amp. And if course, the partnering speakers will have a big say in things too I feel.

Hi RS , I didn't want to come across as disliking the Onkyo, and I don't think it's just a features amp,, in fact I Really liked the sound quality.

Whatever combo the OP chooses will be impressive. Over the past 3-4 years I've auditioned most of the sub-1000 pound 'big boys' and I've yet to come across a "bad" sounding amp. But, as always, it isn't how good (or bad) an amp is but how you partner it - auditioning is an absolute MUST.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
Whatever combo the OP chooses will be impressive. Over the past 3-4 years I've auditioned most of the sub-1000 pound 'big boys' and I've yet to come across a "bad" sounding amp. But, as always, it isn't how good (or bad) an amp is but how you partner it - auditioning is an absolute MUST.

100% agree. Synergy is king.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
moon said:

Completely agree. I'm a big fan of Marantz kit and I don't think they make anything that could fairly be described as 'poor quality'. The PM6004, like the 6003 before it, is a well made and good quality budget amp with excellent sound quality.

Where I slightly disagree is in the comparisons but it is all subjective at the end of the day. I still had my PM6003 when the 6004 came out and I looked at and listened to the new model quite closely to see whether it would be worth changing to. Whilst I do think the 6004 improves further on the 6003 I don't think it is a night and day difference, and I prefer the sound of the Onkyo to either. To me Marantz amps do suffer with slightly slow sounding bass. The 6004 is a good step up in this respect over the 6003 but the trait is still there.

In terms of build quality, I'd say the Onkyo is pretty good. It feels more solid than the budget Yamaha amps and there is nothing about the build that particularly concerns me. I certainly wouldn't say it was particularly lagging behind the Marantz.

Anyway, we are talking about several examples of really good budget kit here - a great reason for the OP to organise some demos before deciding what to spend the money on.

Cheers for the reply MP, really glad you've found A system that lets you just enjoy the tunes. After all that's what's important. Just working my way through Wagners ring cycle. On the subject of the 6004, I felt it was good enough to have one, permanently.

matthewpiano

moon - Thanks. Its taken me a long time. Listened to some of my favourite recordings this afternoon and simply enjoyed myself!

I'm going to treat myself to the Solti recording of the Ring Cycle later in the year and will be listening through myself. I've got and listened to individual Wagner operas but I haven't got a complete Ring so it is something I plan to put right. Some of the orchestral music in those operas is sublime.

T

the record spot

moon said:
Hi RS , I didn't want to come across as disliking the Onkyo, and I don't think it's just a features amp,, in fact I Really liked the sound quality.

No, I didn't take it that way mate, but it's always going to be close for a lot of people - getting the right speaker is a big thing too of course, though I was lucky in as much as I was changing those as well from the old Missions.

A

Anonymous

Thanks you all for so many replies to this thread!

Lots & lots of things to consider here...glad I didn't succomb to instant gratification pressure of buying the first (or 2nd!) recommendation the store made.

I think this is going to take a little while longer to chose...

Cheers all,

Mark

A

Anonymous

I sold my Nad 326bee, Marantz Pm6003, CA 350A because I prefered the sound of Onkyo 608 AVR with the Dali lektors.

A

Anonymous

Hi - if any of you are still around to comment on this, again, much appreciated!

I found myself in a 'high-end' audio store yesterday, that was primarily a Linn dealership. What they showed me was a pair of Linn Majik 140 speakers (list £1,660) and either a Linn Majik DSM (streamer & amp - list £2,370) or a Linn Majik 1 amp (list £1,630). They were offering some 'January deals' on these prices, and in fact the speakers were ex-demo ones, so a reasonable discount on these prices.

However - still a whole chunk more than I had originally budgeted!

So, how did it sound? I think I have to say, on average, a whole lot better than the Marantz 6004 & MA RX6's - whch I think one would expect for this price hike. And yet, I had a little niggle of doubt that, on the 'simpler' music I tested, the 6004/RX6's 'sparkled' a bit more. Was the Linn, while beautifully pure & eve, just a little 'tame' at times.

If I decided to spend the extra money, would I still, ultimatly be dissapointed???

Ideally I would be able to a/b test the options next to each other, but I don't know who stocks all the relevant options.

Anyway, and comments from here would be much appreciated.

One can clearly drive oneself crazy with this stuff!! ;)

Mark

A

Anonymous

Well, I'll put you all out of your misery...I've made my decision - and spent over 4 times my original budget!

Went for ATC SCM40s driven by an ACT amp.

Should get delivery in a week. Hopefully I haven't made a mistake...

SteveR750

plastic penguin said:

In principle absolutely, in practice maybe not. It's simply not practical for most people to do this, even if you pick a recognised chain like audio T / sevenoaks; for example no dealer will stock Naim and Roksan (how grown up eh, and no not the retailers decision). The whole shop demo thing for most people is frankly poor, though from the early days of BADA and its pledge to allow people to listen before buying hasnt appeared to move on much in the intervening 20 odd years. Home listening is the only way to really know what you like or dont, and the only sensible way £ wise is used. There are plenty of places other than ebay to find stuff, and "swap" it if it doesn't match what you want.

I know and respect a few retailers that frequent these pages, but as a whole you guys all need to step up a gear or three in the internet age - not having stock is not a good enough excuse anymore; a new busines model is needed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts