New Amp Pairing For Wharfedale Lintons

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

I'd say all the reviews of the H120 are spot on. Dark background, vocals are superb and in the room and the bass goes low. But I think in this Pairing both speaker and amp having a rolled off top end doesn't work for me personally.
No rolloff for Rollo....nor me thanks.
There's probably a lot I would like about that amp though.
(though not over keen on its price :anguished:)

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Fortunately it's a demo unit I have for a week. So the bank balance hasn't suffered yet. Will continue to through more music at it to see if it grows on me. Lesson learned for me tho, always demo/audition ...

Reactions: rainsoothe and Gray

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Well I returned the hegel today and now I have the Audiolab 8300a and 8300 cdq combo. Will demo these for a week or so but my dealer says they should power the Linton's better with a more forward and brighter sound. Whilst I was there 3 hours just flew by talking audio. I was listening to some 16 grand Kudos powered by 10 grand Luxman being fed 10 grand Innuos, breathtaking. I can always dream! IMG_20200507_150210.jpg

Reactions: rainsoothe

Jenna

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Very interested to hear your thoughts on the Audiolab as I am looking to power my new Lintons.

What about the Roksan K3 integrated?

Also how much of a noticeable upgrade be from my trusty Arcam Alpha 7?

rainsoothe

Hi. As I said in a previous reply, I haven't heard the Lintons, but I know they need amplification with some bite - the Roksan might be ok, but it's still a bit darker sounding than others. Audiolab should suit it better, and also stuff like Cambridge Audio, Rega Elex R or, my personal favourite, Naim stuff (except for first gen Nait XS if you're willing to consider second hand).

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Morning Jenna, All I can compare with is Hegel 120, Marantz Pm6006, Audiolab 8300a. These all had similar sound characteristics when paired with my Linton. All very neutral, warm and smooth. I settled on the Cambridge CXA81 which is known for having a slightly raised treble. I found for my tastes that this was a great combo. It brought out highs that seemed recessed before and has great control on the mids and bass. It also provided a great image and a wide soundstage. I would recommend trying a few if you can. IMHO I love the Lintons sound but they just needed a little help to achieve what I was after. All the best.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
The opposite mate, it has a very relaxed/rolled of treble in my opinion. Beautiful mids and quite a low punchy bass but just lacking a little on the the top end.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
My final set up, CXA81, CXC and the CXN v2. View attachment 1277
Just goes to show that it pays to demo at home, to get a real understanding of which components work best together. It's not always obvious, everyone has their own views, and we all have different ears.
Enjoy your new toys - they certainly look good together and I think that they match your side board better than the black stuff :)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Morning Jenna, All I can compare with is Hegel 120, Marantz Pm6006, Audiolab 8300a. These all had similar sound characteristics when paired with my Linton. All very neutral, warm and smooth. I settled on the Cambridge CXA81 which is known for having a slightly raised treble. I found for my tastes that this was a great combo. It brought out highs that seemed recessed before and has great control on the mids and bass. It also provided a great image and a wide soundstage. I would recommend trying a few if you can. IMHO I love the Lintons sound but they just needed a little help to achieve what I was after. All the best.

Just to go off on a slight tangent, how do you find the Lintons for positioning and what is your room size ?

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi alchemist, I have a L shaped living dining space. I have visually divided it into almost 15 x 10 listening space. Speakers are 8 feet apart and about 12 feet to the sweet spot. I prefer the 1:1.5 equation rather than the equilateral triangle approach. Have the speaker drivers 32 inches from the front and side wall. I bought them with the stands and love being able to move them at will. Currently listening to them toed in as per the manual, but I think I do actually prefer them firing straight ahead.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi alchemist, I have a L shaped living dining space. I have visually divided it into almost 15 x 10 listening space. Speakers are 8 feet apart and about 12 feet to the sweet spot. I prefer the 1:1.5 equation rather than the equilateral triangle approach. Have the speaker drivers 32 inches from the front and side wall. I bought them with the stands and love being able to move them at will. Currently listening to them toed in as per the manual, but I think I do actually prefer them firing straight ahead.

Love the classic design, unfortunately I don't think i can accommodate them in my 4.5 x 3 mtr room. Enjoy

Jenna

May 20, 2020
Visit site

That's great thanks Rollo - I had been reading up on the CXA81 and added it to my list. Forgive my ignorance on this but am I right in thinking I can just get the CX Cd transport and use it with the DAC on CXA81?

Thanks Again
J

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Hiya, yes that's the way to go. Digital out, either coaxial or optical from the CXC in to the CXA81 and you'll utilise the Sabre Dac Chip ESS9016 in the amp.

Reactions: Jenna

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts