New Amp Pairing For Wharfedale Lintons

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi All, looking for some advice for a new amp to pair with my new Lintons. After alot of googling and youtubing I have narrowed my choices down to the following. Cambridge Cxa81, Hegel h90 or the class d Technics Su-g700. Not being able to demo any under lock down, I'd really appreciate any opinions you could give me.

Many thanks
Rollo

rainsoothe

From what I read, the Lintons could do with some energy, so the CA would be my choice. If you don't necessarily need an amp that has a DAC, you should give serious consideration to Naim Nait 5si (or sh/ex-dem XS2). Maybe Rega Elex R.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, I've been leaning towards the CA. Will need the DAC to pass my streamer and cd transport through. And the Sabre DAC in the CA sounds pretty good in most of the reviews.

Reactions: Al ears

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Been looking at some reviews and the H90 internals don't look like a patch on the CA internals. I like the almost dual mono separation in the CA.

rainsoothe

Tricky isn't it. Personally I would tend towards the Hegel but the Cambridge will do the job.
When spending largeish amounts I would wait until you can audition
It is indeed tricky. I love Hegel amplification too, and I did add the caveat "from reading around", as I didn't hear the Lintons. I also am not a huge fan of CA amplification. I just gathered that the Lintons could do with amplifiers that are more eager to please, hence the CA suggestion. And, to be fair, if the Lintons are anything like Wharfedale Reva (which I couldn't make boogie even with my Naims), I wouldn't disagree. Otherwise, no, the CXA81 is in no definitive way the better amplifier of the two, it's just that it might better suit speakers like B&W or Kef R3 etc.

Of course OP really should listen to both before deciding - maybe arrange for home demo and send one back, if that's possible.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
The reason I was leaning toward the CA was that the WHF review of the Lintons said that the Rega Elex R would be a good pairing. Then in the CA review it said it basically walks all over the Rega Elex R. I have read in many reviews that the H90 is very much a relaxed further back sound rather than the Naim and CA being forward. Would that be about a right assumption.

The reason I was leaning toward the CA was that the WHF review of the Lintons said that the Rega Elex R would be a good pairing. Then in the CA review it said it basically walks all over the Rega Elex R. I have read in many reviews that the H90 is very much a relaxed further back sound rather than the Naim and CA being forward. Would that be about a right assumption.
I haven't heard the H90 but assume it's similar to the H120 so I would say it's a more 'neutral' amplifier however each have their own slightly different presentation. Haven't heard those Lintons either so cannot comm there.
What made you go for them? They're certainly a retro design I like. They remind me of some old Heybrooks I hadn't then it's the same designer.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I wanted a 3 way speaker and one that was warm and relaxed. I also wanted one that had a wide soundstage and boy do these deliver that. After the brightness of my Tannoys and listening to a few mates floor standers. I feel a lot of modern speakers are getting a bit too bright and analytical (only for my tastes). I wanted to relax and let the music fill my room and be the star again and not the gear.

I wanted a 3 way speaker and one that was warm and relaxed. I also wanted one that had a wide soundstage and boy do these deliver that. After the brightness of my Tannoys and listening to a few mates floor standers. I feel a lot of modern speakers are getting a bit too bright and analytical (only for my tastes). I wanted to relax and let the music fill my room and be the star again and not the gear.
Good to hear, much the same as myself not keen on some modern speakers for the same reason, always through I should get to hear more of the more retro styled pairs

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Spoke to my local dealer this evening. He advised me if I was going for the H90 to push it up to the H120. He said the H120 has far better networking/streaming and the DAC board is from the H190 and a big step up from the H90. The H120 would be at the top end on my budget and effectively kill any other upgrades for a while. But it is almost an all in one really. Would it be another big step up from the CXA81/H90 let alone my lowly PM6006. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rollo

Spoke to my local dealer this evening. He advised me if I was going for the H90 to push it up to the H120. He said the H120 has far better networking/streaming and the DAC board is from the H190 and a big step up from the H90. The H120 would be at the top end on my budget and effectively kill any other upgrades for a while. But it is almost an all in one really. Would it be another big step up from the CXA81/H90 let alone my lowly PM6006. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rollo
Yes in my humble opinion.
If it has all the functionality you need this is a brilliant amp. It may be a tad overkill but should ease any desire to upgrade again anytime soon.... :cool:
Let us know what you think when you get it because you know it makes sense.....

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
After a whole day listening, I've got to admit I think the h120 maybe a very poor match for the Linton's. Both too relaxed and on the warm side almost a bit dull. Even the wife could pick out and prefer the marantz on a blind test. I've no doubt the h120 is a class piece of kit and I do like it but just a terrible match. Think the Linton's may need something alot brighter to bring them to life. Cheers

Reactions: rainsoothe

Gray

After a whole day listening, I've got to admit I think the h120 maybe a very poor match for the Linton's. Both too relaxed and on the warm side almost a bit dull. Even the wife could pick out and prefer the marantz on a blind test. I've no doubt the h120 is a class piece of kit and I do like it but just a terrible match. Think the Linton's may need something alot brighter to bring them to life. Cheers
Cheers Rollo. Interesting thread this has been for me.
I read a very good mag review of the 120 and have long been aware of the appreciation owners have for the brand. Never heard a Hegel for myself though.
You may have seen the recent thread where it was suggested that all well designed amps (of the same class) sound very similar.
Based on that logic, there would be no real point in comparing the SQ of amps.....you've nicely shown the benefit of a trial.
Like I said, some sound similar (you'd hope so too) but I must admit to being quite surprised just how different many are.
I've had some of the relaxed sound you're after but have to say I prefer the brighter, tighter sound I have now.....each to their own of course.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I'd say all the reviews of the H120 are spot on. Dark background, vocals are superb and in the room and the bass goes low. But I think in this Pairing both speaker and amp having a rolled off top end doesn't work for me personally.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts