New Amp and Speaker combination suggestions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I'm in the market for a stereo amp and speakers - budget is approx £1,000 tho could go another 200 to 300 quid. Predominantly to be used for music (either streamed from PC / squeezebox or iRiver player with digi output via Arcam black box DAC). I'd also put the tv / dvd through for films.
The room is big (about 8m by 7m) with wooden floors and not much in the way of soft furnishings. The speakers will sit either side of a fireplace on fitted cuboards so need to be bookshelf. (I'm not keen on a separate sub).

Any ideas on good pairings ? I was thinking Roksan Kandy & B&W 685 could be the way to go, but having been reading reviews and forum comments, there seems to be other decent options and any number of combinations...

I know I need to listen before I buy, but any help would be much appreciated...

A

Anonymous

'fraid so. The missus would never have it and kiddy would knock 'em down. But obviously it's a factor and some speakers cope with it better than others. I'm hoping for a very solid 'base' - not sure if there's anything that can be done to minimise the negative effects of having bookshelf speakers on ummm shelves ..
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Well make sure you don't push them deep into the alcove. The should be perched on the edge so to speak. I'd also recommend either firmly securing them to the shelf OR placing them on some kind of sonic isolation pad. Unless the furniture they'll be on is rock-solid the latter is a better choice.

Most importantly, they must, absolutely must be front-ported. Any rear-ported speakers will create a harmonic nightmare in those alcoves.

A

Anonymous

AVI make digital active monitors to accommodate your streamer and DVD but I think that room is too big for standmounts.

A

Anonymous

'scuse my ignorance but what's a front vs back ported speaker ?
Any suggestions on amps / speakers by brand / model ?

A

Anonymous

Some speakers have a hole on the front, and some have one on the back, called front and rear porting, respectively.

The port farts along to the music to boost bass in smaller speakers.

Rear ports typically offer more due to interactions with the rear wall.

Some have no holes though. They are "sealed boxes".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts