new 2020i: one speaker sounds less punchy

Zeitgeist

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello to the Board!

This is my first foray into the world of hi-fi so please be gentle..

I have recently purchased the above set of speakers (literally days ago) and noticed last night that one of the speakers sounded out of phase. Having checked the wiring I noticed that, like a true amateur, one of the channels on the amp was indeed cross-wired.

Having corrected the problem the less punchy sound still persists in the same speaker.

Is this because (a) the speakers are still new and one cone is still 'tighter' than the other meaning less bass or (b), I have inadvertently damaged my speaker?

All thoughts kindly received.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Very unlikely you have damaged your speakers (or amp) by wiring one channel out-of-phase. (Unless you also managed to short circuit something.)

Does the 'louder' speaker occupy a corner? Is their anything wildy different about the location of one speaker compared to the other? (One in front of a window, another in front of a bookcase, or one speaker above a rug and the other above a solid wood floor.)

If you swap the speakers around, does the 'lack of punch' follow the speaker or stay on the same channel?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
If you swap the speakers around, does the 'lack of punch' follow the speaker or stay on the same channel?

This is definitely your first port-of-call. If the 'lack' does follow then you need to take them back for a replacement [or your money back].

Zeitgeist

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the quick responses.

You have isolated the problem: speaker positioning! Even having an understanding of correct speaker placement, I am nevertheless taken aback about how this has affected the sound so fundamentally.

The one speaker is 2.5 ft from the wall whilst the other is about 4ft (they are currently on my [fake!] fireplace so I am restricted when it comes to positioning). The difference that makes is truly staggering! Given the logistics of my lounge, I am going to struggle to get these speakers optimately placed even with stands.

Many thanks for putting me at ease - I was starting to think I had ruined my first set of 'real' speakers within 48 hours. And also a good lesson learnt in room accoustics.

Looks as though this will be a good community.

Thanks again.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Zeitgeist said:
You have isolated the problem: speaker positioning! Even having an understanding of correct speaker placement, I am nevertheless taken aback about how this has affected the sound so fundamentally.

The one speaker is 2.5 ft from the wall whilst the other is about 4ft (they are currently on my [fake!] fireplace so I am restricted when it comes to positioning). The difference that makes is truly staggering! Given the logistics of my lounge, I am going to struggle to get these speakers optimately placed even with stands.

Do you have a balance control on your amp?

A little judicious tweak might correct it. (It is allowed, along with using tone controls, despite what 'hair shirt' purists might say. :) )

Zeitgeist

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a balance control on your amp?

A little judicious tweak might correct it. (It is allowed, along with using tone controls, despite what 'hair shirt' purists might say. :) )

Thanks for input. Am currently experimenting with plugging the offending speaker's bass port with supplied foam plug. Didn't think about balance-control, primarily due to being brain-washed with the notion that you do not touch these things!

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Very unlikely you have damaged your speakers (or amp) by wiring one channel out-of-phase. (Unless you also managed to short circuit something.)

You can not damage speakers by wiring them out-of-phase.

Some people wire new speakers out-of-phase and position them close together aimed towards eachother for fast burning in.

manicm

When I acquired my Solo Mini and B&W 685s I had put them on a table and experienced the same thing as one speaker was near a corner and I seriously thought the other one was faulty (which it was not).

As someone posted here - positioning is highly influential and you need to find the best compromise.

BTW I'm finally hooking up my Minx 2.1 tomorrow and I'll give feedback.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts