Network switch

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a NAS for the last 7-8 years connected to my router. It never occurred to me that sound may suffer that way until a friend of mine suggested recently that i should get a separate network switch and thus isolate the NAS as well as the Network streamer. I did and can definitely say that i really like the difference it has made. It's only a cheap Netgear one, but sound is better. I won't go into details trying to describe it but it definitely has made the difference. I suppose many of you are probably doing it this way already but i wasn't and am chuffed to bits that such a small next to nothing investment can improve the sq.. 👍

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Sound is clearer and more detailed, i suppose all kind of stuff goes through the router, which is well busy. Makes sense separating the audio, so i'm glad i followed my mates advise, less than 20 quid.. can't go wrong really..

abacus

Adding a network switch makes things more complicated, however it has many advantages if you have a selection of equipment far away from the router.

You have heard NO difference in the sound; it is purely a placebo effect that was initiated by your friend, who believes he heard a difference. (Even though it was just imaginary)

The only way the sound can alter is if the network gets overloaded, which will cause drop outs.

Your description of differences applies to analogue not digital. (Networks are digital)

Bill

michael hoy

Cyrus recommended setting it up this way when they first released their streamer.
I would also not plug anything else in to the switch and keep it clean for the soul purpose of your music.
I am not going to get into the old debate of digital is digital (0 and 1). I do believe other factors come into play, but that is my belief and do not force it on to others.

Reactions: k77stan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts