NETWORK STEREO RECIEVER OPINIONS

weesack

New member
Oct 3, 2009
27
0
0
hi all, need some advice i have the denon x2400h avr which i use for all my media (video and music), my setup is

ma bronze bx2 and ma centre, with 2 kef eggs for surround and a cambridge audio sw

audio technica turntable, marantz cd player

i did have a seperate stereo amp up until a few months ago , just for my music but i got rid of the amp thinking i would be happy with the new avr, but i have noticed a massive difference in sound quality in stereo , so iam looking to get a network stereo reciever and add another set of speakers.

so my question is would i get better stereo performance from a network stereo reciever, i need a network reciever because all my music is stored on my nas drive, apart from my vinyls and cds tat i still have. if the answer is yes can i have some suggestions on which one to go for, my budget would be between 400 and 500 thanks in advance
 

newlash09

Well-known member
Aug 28, 2015
220
45
10,820
Not easy to answer your question. If you are not happy with the music performance with your avr. Which also has room correction. Adding a lame stereo receiver and two stereo speakers is not a promise of better sound.

If you don't mind, may I know which avr you are using. And your present audio settings, including your room size and listening position, So we can all collectively suggest if there is something in settings that you can tweak for a better sound. Failing which ofcourse, there are a plethora of stereo receives to choose from :)
 

weesack

New member
Oct 3, 2009
27
0
0
Hi newlash09 i have the denon x2400h and the settings i havent really touched i have only setup from the mic .my room is about 4x3m so it is quite small and my position is roughly around 2m from both stereo speakers in a sort of triangle .i havent had much experience with avr i normally only use stereo amps. I did have the cambridge cxa60 and the pioneer 50n a streamer. But decided to go the avr route and dont have enough space for all the kit and the wife wasnt keen on me having all these amps and speakers. Any advice on the settings would be great
 

newlash09

Well-known member
Aug 28, 2015
220
45
10,820
weesack said:
Hi newlash09 i have the denon x2400h and the settings i havent really touched i have only setup from the mic .my room is about 4x3m so it is quite small and my position is roughly around 2m from both stereo speakers in a sort of triangle .i havent had much experience with avr i normally only use stereo amps. I did have the cambridge cxa60 and the pioneer 50n a streamer. But decided to go the avr route and dont have enough space for all the kit and the wife wasnt keen on me having all these amps and speakers. Any advice on the settings would be great
I have a on paper optimal system of qacoustics concept 40 fronts , a qacoustics concept centre and again qacoustics q7000i surrounds. Please bear in mind that all of these speakers are 5 star receipents from whathifi. But as a whole, after audyssey calibration they sounded crap. The sound was smooth, but without any bite. So I bought the audyssey multieq app. And set audyssey correction to only below 250hz. It has made a night and day difference in my room and my setup. Not sure if your AVR supports that. But there is always scope for tweaking is what I want to say :)
 

jjbomber

Well-known member
Dec 22, 2006
1,130
509
20,070
weesack said:
i did have a seperate stereo amp up until a few months ago , just for my music but i got rid of the amp thinking i would be happy with the new avr, but i have noticed a massive difference in sound quality in stereo , so iam looking to get a network stereo reciever and add another set of speakers.
Add a power amp to the AVR for stereo duties. What make and model was the original stereo amp? I would try to stay with the same house sound as that.
 

weesack

New member
Oct 3, 2009
27
0
0
Cheers jjbomber i had a cambridge audio cxa60 amp. Could i use a power amp with the avr
 

Samd

Well-known member
Mar 6, 2013
178
59
18,670
weesack said:
Cheers jjbomber i had a cambridge audio cxa60 amp. Could i use a power amp with the avr
Or nearly. I had the 2400 AVR and CXA 80 and binned the CXA for the same reason as you i.e. to reduce the clutter. I found very little difference in stereo performance and enjoyed for some time the benefit of easy 'swap' from 'video' to 'audio'. I did spend some time in using the Denon AVR's facilties so would seriously advise you to try that first. Nothing to lose and all to gain. Denon kit is quite musical.
 

weesack

New member
Oct 3, 2009
27
0
0
Cheers samd yes i think ill try some setting tweaks first before i jump in and buy new kit. But i must say i can hear a big difference in the avr compared to my cxa60 regretting selling it on
 

jjbomber

Well-known member
Dec 22, 2006
1,130
509
20,070
weesack said:
Cheers jjbomber i had a cambridge audio cxa60 amp. Could i use a power amp with the avr
Indeed you can. Use the Pre-outs on the rear to send the signal to a power amp. Connect the main front stereo speakers to the power amp. When I say power amp, you can use a stereo integrated if you prefer.
 

weesack

New member
Oct 3, 2009
27
0
0
Hi guys done some tweaking of settings but still feel its not the best sound for me. So ive been looking around for an amp thats not to big and ive found the yamaha wxa-50 it has all the streaming i need and connections i noticed a couple of you guys have one would this make an improvement from the denon
 

Native_bon

Well-known member
Nov 26, 2008
180
2
18,595
weesack said:
Hi guys done some tweaking of settings but still feel its not the best sound for me. So ive been looking around for an amp thats not to big and ive found the yamaha wxa-50 it has all the streaming i need and connections i noticed a couple of you guys have one would this make an improvement from the denon
I think you need to slow down here a bit, personally I don't think the Yamaha WXA 50 will improve the performance of the Denon Av amp. Yes some Av amps are good for music but rarely at the budget end. You were never going to have the same performance from an AV amp the same price as a dedicated 2 channel amp. Your best bet would be to try second hand Av amps like Arcam or Anthem. If not possible then your only option may be to add a 2 channel amp for listening to music. How Long since you bought the Denon amp, can you still make a return? Did you not audition before buying the denon.
 

weesack

New member
Oct 3, 2009
27
0
0
Hi there i have the denon for 2 months bought from peter tyson, reason for selling cxa amp was to make space. I had bought new oled tv and wanted to go down avr route but didnt really test for my music playback. I know now avr and stereo amp are miles apart .
 

weesack

New member
Oct 3, 2009
27
0
0
Hi insider9 i dont think it is my speakers thats the problem the sound from the speakers are good i just think i made mistake selling stereo amp and expecting avr to have a similar sound
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts