neighbours noise

steakers

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
when listening to music /watching movies im constantly having to reduce volume when action scenes happen in the film or a club scene as i fear im making there lives hell , they havent complained but here we go , the rear of my speakers and sub are about 8 inches away from the wall facing out to me , i listen to movies at about -22 and music about -18 , i have set the amp so that the range is on minimum but feel i still have to do the volume myself which is stopping the enjoyment of the movie , Question is is the amp set right i feel it is , and am i being over courtieous for my neighbour.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If it sounds right to you, then it is. Nothing is set in stone with regards to volume, placement of speakers etc, because every room and every listener is different.

In regards to your neighbour, just ask them :) We all think this with our systems at home.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Invite you're neighbour in and show him the movie so he can listen and then the music, then ask to pop into his to see how much it affects his environment with his tv on at normal listening levels. Let him be the judge of it.

Its what I did and we cool!!

piper1st

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Haha ... this is like a problem page! LoL!!

Its a trickly one. The dymanics of a movie/music is what owning a good setup is all about. It adds the dramatics and excitment or builds tension, etc. You can get compressors which reduce the dynamics and give you a much more constant volume level, but this is greatly reduce your enjoyment of your system. :wall: But constantly grabbing for the remote any time an action scene comes on isn't much better. :roll:

Consider your properties construction and layout and if your system is suitable for it ...

If you stay in a semi or end terrace, you only have one neighbour. If you stay in a flat, you may have neighbours above, below and either side of you. Subwoofers sited on a floor often causes structural vibrations through the building.

Consider if your living room walls is shared with your neighbours bedroom wall, etc. If your neighbour has a different layout to you, this could make matters worse.

When do you play this films/music loud? Sometimes on school nights? Does your neighbour work shifts? Does your neighbour have young children?

If you are worried, you really should just ask your neighbour?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I had same problem with neighbours. Or rather, I assumed that they might have a problem.

One day I went next door to help them fix a wifi issue, and before I headed over I set a piece of music playing at my usual/desired listening level.

When next door, I said that I was concerned that I might be playing too loud (I could just hear a bit of bass myself) - they insisted that it wasn't (at all), but seemed very pleased that I was trying to be considerate.

Since then, I've made two home-made acoustic absorbing panels to sit on the shared wall behind my speakers and sub. Wooden frame, 10cm rockwool and camira fabric. Just in case.

steakers

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
been getting some funny looks from them as of late , we normally get on well and they have never said anything and i have also asked in the past and they have said they cant hear it , will check out again as im sure they can and they are just being nice .

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
steakers said:
been getting some funny looks from them as of late , we normally get on well and they have never said anything and i have also asked in the past and they have said they cant hear it , will check out again as im sure they can and they are just being nice .

Just be open with them tell them that on the one hand you want to be considerate and not disturb them, but at the moment you feel you can't listen to things quite as loud as you like, so see if they'll let you go in to theirs and check, whilst you leave something playing in yours. Ultimately that's the only way you're going to know for sure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts