Need to downsize speakers..Any suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I do think that seeking a Focal dealer and asking what sort of deal he could do on the 1008s, if p/x with your 1028s. Can't lose anything by asking, and you shouldn't need to audition. It sounds like a win, win, win... situation. :cheers:

BTW, what are the new room dimensions?

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
I do think that seeking a Focal dealer and asking what sort of deal he could do on the 1008s, if p/x with your 1028s. Can't lose anything by asking, and you shouldn't need to audition. It sounds like a win, win, win... situation. :cheers:

Approx. 3.5 x 4 m

iceman16 said:
plastic penguin said:

Approx. 3.5 x 4 m

Thanks, Iceman. Sounds roughly the size of my living room... hold on minute, let me do a quick measure.

Okay, my room is 17' X 12' and my RS6s are 18" from the back wall firing across the narrow side.

Deffo Totem Arros will fit the bill nicely - so darn easy to place. Also look at Spendor A5, along with the other suggestions I made earlier.

Hope that helps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
plastic penguin said:
TBF, I don't think any suggestions would match up to Iceman's current kit, apart from, perhaps, the Focal 1008BE.

See page 1 post 3 :p

...and all my choices would be better (P1 / Post 15).
evil.png

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
On a personal note I agree . I hope Icemans current speakers are ok in his new room because a change in brand is going to be tough for him I think.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
On a personal note I agree . I hope Icemans current speakers are ok in his new room because a change in brand is going to be tough for him I think.

....or an eye opener.

It will be interesting to find out.

I could easily live with the LS50s (in a smallish room)......though I would miss the scale from floorstanders.

T

the record spot

The Tannoy Definition range may be worth looking at too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
The Tannoy Definition range may be worth looking at too.

Yup, and the Prestige range (if the looks appeal, as very different to Focal).

Clean sounding speakers that are a little less forward than Focal.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Also look at Spendor A5
When I was considering the A5, Spendor advised a minimum rear clearance of 50cm. They said both the A3 & A6 are more tolerant. I went for the A6 & they're only around 25cm clear & seem happy enough.

iceman16

Just an update..I managed to set the hifi in the new room(11.5x11.5 ft). The speakers are placed about 1 ft from the backwall and 20 in. from the side. the distance between them is about 7.5 feet same as listening position. They did'nt sound bad at all apart from some heavy bass recordings( thanks for the bass traps). I even find them more focus and with better soundstage compare to the L-shape room in the previous house. Need to toe them in but not facing directly to my listening position. I was expecting brightness and forwardness of the high freq. and the result is the opposite. No hint of brightness at all but still remains detailed and clean.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
True. I've now got my ADM40 in my small loung (12x12 ish), and they sound wonderful.

For instance, my speakers cabinets are 40 litre, but the driver enclosure is only 16L

Theres alot of generalisaions in hi fi (small speakers for small rooms, big for big).

iceman16

richardw42 said:
True. I've now got my ADM40 in my small loung (12x12 ish), and they sound wonderful.

For instance, my speakers cabinets are 40 litre, but the driver enclosure is only 16L

Theres alot of generalisaions in hi fi (small speakers for small rooms, big for big).

Thanks Rich..And I defo agree that different (types) of rooms has a big impact on sound and lot of times unexpectable.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Just an update..I managed to set the hifi in the new room(11.5x11.5 ft). The speakers are placed about 1 ft from the backwall and 20 in. from the side. the distance between them is about 7.5 feet same as listening position. They did'nt sound bad at all apart from some heavy bass recordings( thanks for the bass traps). I even find them more focus and with better soundstage compare to the L-shape room in the previous house. Need to toe them in but not facing directly to my listening position. I was expecting brightness and forwardness of the high freq. and the result is the opposite. No hint of brightness at all but still remains detailed and clean.

That sounds like a right result, bad bass at times excepted [and 'trap-able hopefully]. Enjoy your unexpected gain. :)

iceman16

Macspur said:
Good news Iceman.

Does this mean you'll be sticking with the Focals?

Mac

Hi Mac..

Thanks for your input..Yes I'd be sticking to them cause I just can't explain why they sound different into this room(better I think). Before I set them up in this room I popped in to my local dealer and demo some bookshelf and floorstanders( B&W PM1, MA gs50, PMC 20.21-23.) and I really missed the lower end of floorstanders.

iceman16

relocated said:
iceman16 said:

That sounds like a right result, bad bass at times excepted [and 'trap-able hopefully]. Enjoy your unexpected gain. :)

Thanks relocated... Yes the bass traps really doind their job but placement is somewhat "critical" needs lot of patience till found the right place for them. IME bass traps sometimes need to be in odd place to have great results.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts