Need suggestions for sound system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I just wanted some suggestions about a new sound system as I have no idea where to start. My music collection is a mixture between CD's, MP3s on a laptop and one or two tracks on my iphone. What I really want is a system where I can play all these things but also have wireless headphones as I like to listen to some music loud but worry about the neighbours! Does anyone have any suggestions about where to start/what to buy?

A

Anonymous

Knew I had forgotten something! I would say my max budget is 800 pounds although if I can spend less than 600 I will be happy. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I guess I will need a system to plug some of these into? I am fairly clueless when it comes to these things, hence I thought it best to consult the experts!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Obviously your budget will have a large impact on your choices and final decision, but you have all of the components for the 'front end' of a system already.

A laptop for disc playback and streaming and an iPhone, to be used for streaming and also act as a remote.

My suggestion would be to look at the following options.

Squeezbox Touch, Apple Airport Express/Apple TV, Sonos ZP90 (or whatever the newest incarnation is now called)

Feeding into an amplifier and speaker combination, either as separates or an active system (endless possibilities here)

Your budget will help other forumites to confuse help you further. ;)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
sirraygraydon said:
Knew I had forgotten something! I would say my max budget is 800 pounds although if I can spend less than 600 I will be happy. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I guess I will need a system to plug some of these into? I am fairly clueless when it comes to these things, hence I thought it best to consult the experts!

In that case...

Squeezebox Touch (£200) and one of the following as an idea.

http://www.electromusic.co.uk/Yamaha-HS80M-Active-Monitors.html - £450

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/mackie-hr624mk2-active-studio-monitors-pair--68129 £600

You should be able to pop into any proaudio shop, just as you can a hifi shop, to demo any products availabe.

Cheaper monitors are available and an amplifier and speaker package could also easily fit in under budget too (actives are just my preference).

matthewpiano

Another option would be the TEAC Reference 01 range.

Combine the DS-H01 iPod dock, with the A-H01 DAC/Amplifier and pair with a pair of suitable speakers (Dali Zensor 1/Q Acoustics 2020i etc.) for a talented and compact system. Even if you added a Squeezebox Touch to this it would still take up very little space and give you incredible flexibility.

T

the record spot

Overdose said:
sirraygraydon said:

In that case...

Squeezebox Touch (£200) and one of the following as an idea.

http://www.electromusic.co.uk/Yamaha-HS80M-Active-Monitors.html - £450

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/mackie-hr624mk2-active-studio-monitors-pair--68129 £600

You should be able to pop into any proaudio shop, just as you can a hifi shop, to demo any products availabe.

Cheaper monitors are available and an amplifier and speaker package could also easily fit in under budget too (actives are just my preference).

It's worth pointing out that good though the Yammies are, they only have 1/4" or XLR inputs, so you need to invest in an adapter at some point or another. Maplins and Amazon being two options to obtain from.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
It's worth pointing out that good though the Yammies are, they only have 1/4" or XLR inputs, so you need to invest in an adapter at some point or another. Maplins and Amazon being two options to obtain from.

Very true, try these...

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/56775-stagg-3m-rca-to-xlr-female-twin-cable.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Just to confuse things, I wonder if perhaps a more flexible option might be the Onkyo TX-8050 receiver and something like the KEF Q300s.

Hmmm,luckily, it's not my choice to make. Have fun demoing though.

:grin:

sirraygraydon said:
Hi everyone, I just wanted some suggestions about a new sound system as I have no idea where to start. My music collection is a mixture between CD's, MP3s on a laptop and one or two tracks on my iphone. What I really want is a system where I can play all these things but also have wireless headphones as I like to listen to some music loud but worry about the neighbours! Does anyone have any suggestions about where to start/what to buy?

This maybe a good option http://www.whathifi.com/review/wmh-700l, although not had any personal experience of this brand, worth an audition.

T

the record spot

I'm not so sure chaps.

At £500, I'd expect something that delivers more than 20wpc, so yes it'll do alright, but frankly, in 2012 the amp section is wanting - there's no excuse for delivering with such low power unless it's for the kitchen or a second system in a bedroom. No DLNA either, which means there's no wireless streaming from the laptop. For £500, you can do better. And this from someone who's glad to see the Sansui brand back on the shelves. Two years ago, this would've been worth it but not today.

To the OP: I find the Onkyo's DLNA and general connectivity pretty much flawless. No CD player granted, but at £250 for the 8050 (shop around) it gives you everything but, all you need then are some speakers and your CD player. You can plug your portable digital player into the USB on the front, or an external HDD if you have one and the Onkyo's excellent DAC takes care of the rest.

You'd definitely do it for your maximum budget, and might for £600. On the other hand, if you don't want to turn the wick up, the Sansui might tick all the right boxes. Try and push it hard though and it'll sound strained.

You maybe right, RS. I think it maybe a disappointment to you, a person familiar with their esteemed hi-fi equipment from the past. But to a younger generation, unfamiliar with the original, it may just be the ticket. Hence why I said a dem would be worthwhile.

T

the record spot

Nothing to do with the brand's past PP, just that at £500, it's asking a lot for an underpowered setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts