Need some speakers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've been very fortunate to land an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp and an Arcam CD72T CDP today so now I'm looking for some new speakers.

I wanted to see what peoples opinions would be on the M/A BR5's, RS6's and the Dali Suite 2.8's?

I've had the RS6's before and loved them so I know it makes sense to go with them again more so as the Alpha 10 will drive them very well. But; I've not heard the other 2 sets and wanted to see what folks thought of them?

My music ranges from Hed Kandi to Elbow to Massive Attack to Fischerspooner to Jethro Tull to Dean Martin and so on, so very eclectic!

Cables will be Chord Carnival Silverscreen and Chord Crimson interconnects

Cheers

matthewpiano

Dan, the BR5s are not a patch on the RS6s. The Bronze range are decent enough at their price point but they have a tendency to sound like vocalists are singing through a sock. I think you would find them severely lacking after having owned the RS6s.

I'm not familiar with the Dalis.

What happened to your NAD/B&W set-up? Is this new Arcam system replacing that or is it for a different room?

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you might be a B&W 684 man. Loads of bass and smoother than the MA RS6.

d_a_n1979:I've been very fortunate to land an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp and an Arcam CD72T CDP today so now I'm looking for some new speakers. I wanted to see what peoples opinions would be on the M/A BR5's, RS6's and the Dali Suite 2.8's? I've had the RS6's before and loved them so I know it makes sense to go with them again more so as the Alpha 10 will drive them very well. But; I've not heard the other 2 sets and wanted to see what folks thought of them? My music ranges from Hed Kandi to Elbow to Massive Attack to Fischerspooner to Jethro Tull to Dean Martin and so on, so very eclectic! Cables will be Chord Carnival Silverscreen and Chord Crimson interconnects Cheers

Do I really need to tell you. . .
emotion-5.gif
emotion-21.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Dan, the BR5s are not a patch on the RS6s. The Bronze range are decent enough at their price point but they have a tendency to sound like vocalists are singing through a sock. I think you would find them severely lacking after having owned the RS6s.

What happened to your NAD/B&W set-up? Is this new Arcam system replacing that or is it for a different room?

That system went when I got the Onk/B&W XT8/XT2 & PV1 surround sound system. Did have another old stereo system for the study but it went pop so now wanting a new system but without spending huge $$$!

I think it's gonna be RS6's or B&W 684s!

Watch this space

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:matthewpiano:Dan, the BR5s are not a patch on the RS6s. The Bronze range are decent enough at their price point but they have a tendency to sound like vocalists are singing through a sock. I think you would find them severely lacking after having owned the RS6s.

That system went when I got the Onk/B&W XT8/XT2 & PV1 surround sound system. Did have another old stereo system for the study but it went pop so now wanting a new system but without spending huge $$$!

I think it's gonna be RS6's or B&W 684s!

Watch this space

Arcam goes well with RS6s. I'm surprised that so many people rave about the 684s. I think the RS6 speaker is the clear winner.

A

Anonymous

As with anything, it depends on what you want Gerrardasnails.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The RS'6s i had were with an Arcam Alpha 9 system (integrated, power and CDP)

The B&W 684's are very good as well I know through demo's but it's all depends upon price currently and the RS6's are winning!

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-11.gif
interesting.....m/a,s can be on the bright side, how is your room...well damped or sparsely furnished ?

you want a nuetral sound with a huge sound stage and excellent bass go for the 2.8.

be carefull, they need a solid floor and a large room.

plus side, £400 delivered from sevenoaks brighton, supurb finish and a 5 year warranty.

spend the change on cd,s...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
seasiders rock:
emotion-11.gif
interesting.....m/a,s can be on the bright side, how is your room...well damped or sparsely furnished ?

you want a nuetral sound with a huge sound stage and excellent bass go for the 2.8.

be carefull, they need a solid floor and a large room.

plus side, £400 delivered from sevenoaks brighton, supurb finish and a 5 year warranty.

spend the change on cd,s...

Thats what I'm thinking; take the plunge etc...

The system is going to be in our rear 'living room' so to speak; solid floor with good furniture spaced out and a carpeted floor!

The £400 price is very VERY tempting!

M/A RS6's I can get 'ex-demo' for £449 plus delivery charges; I dont think I'll get the 684's for less than £600!!!

A

Anonymous

RX series (replacing the RS) is coming in September, so price cuts for the RS are about to be easy to find...
emotion-4.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Why a CD72T Dan? For things like Hedkandi and Leftfield, and the smoother stuff you are much much better off with a CD192. Trust me on this mate. Sell the 72T on.

Also forget MA and B&W and look at Ikon 6, or ProAc, or PMCs.

ÿ

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Because it was free! Plus I've owned it before it it's always worked well for me!

TBH Joel I'm not looking to spend silly £££ currently so trying to get the best deal for the best speakers I can.

I'm not a fan of PMC's or the Dali Ikons; demo'd them before and they didnt sit well with me at all. Plus theyre too pricey for what I'm looking to spend currently.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've gone back to what I know and I've gone for the M/A RS6's.

Managed to get them (brand new but at the advertised price as ex-demo speakers from Sevenoaks) plus 2 x 3m Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and 2 x Chord Crimson interconnects for £500 all in!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:I've gone back to what I know and I've gone for the M/A RS6's.

Managed to get them (brand new but at the advertised price as ex-demo speakers from Sevenoaks) plus 2 x 3m Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and 2 x Chord Crimson interconnects for £500 all in!

Nice. What colour?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Light Oak this time Gerrard; will go with the TV unit and other furniture.

Will need a better hifi rack soon; the £40 special i got off eBay is ok but it's black glass and chrome legs; a bit 70's haha.

Cant wait to get them and get it all set-up!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Because it was free! Plus I've owned it before it it's always worked well for me! TBH Joel I'm not looking to spend silly £££ currently so trying to get the best deal for the best speakers I can. I'm not a fan of PMC's or the Dali Ikons; demo'd them before and they didnt sit well with me at all. Plus theyre too pricey for what I'm looking to spend currently.

Sell it on and get a 192, you'll be dancing around your living room with it.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
d_a_n1979:Because it was free! Plus I've owned it before it it's always worked well for me! TBH Joel I'm not looking to spend silly £££ currently so trying to get the best deal for the best speakers I can. I'm not a fan of PMC's or the Dali Ikons; demo'd them before and they didnt sit well with me at all. Plus theyre too pricey for what I'm looking to spend currently.

Sell it on and get a 192, you'll be dancing around your living room with it.

As I said Joel; it's all about £££ and not spending too much currently.

It'll do for now as it was free (and still a good CDP IMO) and I will upgrade at a later date.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts