Need some opinions on system for small room!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Right, well I'm after upgrading the system in what is effectively a box room!

Essentially, I have 1.8m wall with my kit on, so as I lay on my bed, I'm looking straight at my Dell W1900 HD telly (19"), my pair of B&W 601 S2s, Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD player, PS3 (for blueray, and has now effectively replaced my Yamaha Natural Vision DVD player) rigged up to an ageing Cambridge Audio 340A. I'm quite pleased with the dynamic range of the system, but despite adequate bass, its lacking in attack, and the soundstage/imaging needs tightening up.

Later in the year I will be upgrading to some B&W 685s, but the weak link in my system really is the amp.

Not really concerned about budget, but I see little point in spending a huge amount more on kit, as the real limitations in my system are the room size, and the fact that the speakers are pretty tight to the wall - so can't have any speakers that are rear ported.

So what amp will suit my requirements? Half tempted by a Cambridge Audio 640A, but wheres the fun in that - I'm not keen on the system looking like I bought it in one go from the same shop. Having a remote is a must really (not prepared to compromise on that, so the RA-04 is out of the equation).

I listen to films through the amp too, but as I'm only going to be using 2 speakers for films, I don't *think* I'll see any benefit from an AV receiver. Are there any stereo amps that have an optical input, or is there no point?

Lots of random mumblings there, any comments or general thoughts and advice very much welcome!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally i'd go for either a NAD C320BEE or the NAD C352 amps. It may be worth checking out Ebay as theres a few decent NAD amps going currently.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi.

Am in the same boat as you aswell.

Currently using my a NAD 320BEE (borrowing my dads) with 685's and it does sound good, Plenty of drive from the base and midrange.

I dont think you will be disappointed in the 685s as long as you get a decent amp, Almost all have said to get the NAD 320BEE and some the Rotel RA-04 (no remote). There is plenty of punch when watching films even with the bass on +2.

Luke

nads

re the optical input, not needed as all it would do is mean that you need a DAC in the amp rather than the player or a stand alone DAC. i would also sugest auditioning a NAD amp as you are looking to go to B&W's as they do work well together.

A

Anonymous

Well thanks everyone for the swift replies!! Sounds like I'd better start auditioning some amps then!!

Is the Rotel RA-05 (or RA-06 for that matter) as highly commended as the RA-04??

matthewpiano

The original What Hi-Fi group test which included both placed the RA-04 ahead of the RA-05, with the suggestion that the extra circuitry for the remote control slightly affected performance. IIRC the 04 got 5 stars and the 05 got 4, partly also for reasons of value/sound-per-pound.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Not really concerned about budget, but I see little point in spending a huge amount more on kit, as the real limitations in my system are the room size, and the fact that the speakers are pretty tight to the wall - so can't have any speakers that are rear ported.

So what amp will suit my requirements? Half tempted by a Cambridge Audio 640A, but wheres the fun in that - I'm not keen on the system looking like I bought it in one go from the same shop. Having a remote is a must really (not prepared to compromise on that, so the RA-04 is out of the equation).

Simple. Try the RA-05. I cant do without a remote either, is essential if you listen to classical music. I am running one with the 685's and a Marantz CD6002 and it sounds good.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="shep1968"] Simple. Try the RA-05. I cant do without a remote either, is essential if you listen to classical music. I am running one with the 685's and a Marantz CD6002 and it sounds good.[/quote]

I certainly will be demoing the RA-05, aswell as a couple of NAD offerings... and may even buy a CA640A and return it if its not as good as them!!!

Anyone any idea when the NAD C355 is out?? If nothing else it means a stonking deal could be had on the C352 soon I'm sure! :)

TRENDING THREADS