Need some help buying a good micro system + speakers (TEAC, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha etc...)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

A friend of mine wants to purchase a micro system for a 25m2 room. She is listening to all kind of music and not very loud. She asked me to help her a little as she has little knowledge of such things. The speakers should eighter get wall-mounted, put on a cupboard or on stands (she is not sure untill now). Definitely she doesn't want floorstanding speakers and also her budget would not allow it I guess. My suggestions to her were untill now to buy eighter a TEAC AG-H300MKII with the fitting CD-Player PD-H300 (I have bought the same one with an additional tape-deck in UK a while ago, as TEAC micros are much cheaper in UK than in Germany and also those old models seem to be very good manufactured and of high quality imo). Another suggestion of mine was to buy a DENON DM38DAB and add some good speakers to it. Other models that came to my mind were the TEAC CR-H258i, the CR-H248, the CR-H240(+ adding other speakers), Onkyo CS 545 or the Yamaha 330 (I think the Yamaha 330 is to weak for a 25m2 room even when listening not that loud but I am not sure as she liked the price of the Yamaha). The speakers shouldn't be that big and so I suggested her to buy eighter the Q Acoustics 2010 or 2020, the Mordaunt Short Avant 902i (I have added the 914i to my TEAC-system and am very satisfied with their sound) or the German Magnat 503 (probably unknown in the UK, but this model runs out and can be bought cheap here at the moment). Unfortunately we are not able to listen to the Q Acoustics here as they are nowhere to find in the shops but I read the positive tests here in WhatHifi. Can some of you describe the difference in sound between the 2010 and the 2020 a little? Is it a good idea to wallmount them with the fitting speaker brackets or would they sound better in a cupboard or on stands? Or would the Mordaunt Short Avant 902i be the better choice? Is it always better to buy the micros without speakers and add different ones that come delivered with the stereos from Denon, Onkyo, Teac or Yamaha? But maybe you have some totally different suggestions for a micro and speakers!? We really would be happy if you could help us a little (her budget is due to current illness not that high, so I don't want to reccommend her something she won't be happy with in the end and the stereo should be really solid, sound good and hopefully last long.

Thanks in advance for your help! [:D]

Ingo

A

Anonymous

Really no suggestions? Would be quite dissapointing for a forum like this!
emotion-6.gif

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

He can buy very good micros on ebay.uk.co, ebay.de at half price ex. Denon DM- 37, 107 series, Teac Reference 300-series, Onkyo 515, 525UK, Yamaha Piano Craft 800 series

As new Teac 2xx series or Denon DM 38. I think is better to avoid speakers made by Teac, Denon, Yamaha. I would try Magnat 500 series, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1, Mourdaunt Short Aviano 1, or Q Acoustic 2020( very good for this price), Canton GLE series. The M. Short 902i can be bright, metalic sounding for many tastes

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I used to own the Denon DM37 and a fantastic micro (guess the 38 can only be even better!)

It can run a tremendous array of speakers; mine were paired with £100 budget Tannoy Mercury Custom F1's, but people would also happily pair them with speakers ranging from £250 to £400. Dali Lektor 1's and 2's spring to mind, as well as B & W 685's. Worth a look in my book.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
My girlfriend has the DM37 with Tannoy Mercury F1s ("Audiophile upgrade"), I listen to it a lot and it is one of those combinations that just works, and superbly. Listening to DAB on it is a pleasure (don't know if that's anything to do with the flat being less than a mile from the BBC in White City?!). I would love to hear what the Dali's or Wharfedale sound like attached to this as they are often recommended. I would certainly recommend the Tannoys with the DM37 or 38, either new or used if they're no longer available. A sound worth three times the cost, easily.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all of your comments!
emotion-2.gif
I also thought it might be better to buy seperate speakers as you always read the ones that sold with the stereos are not the best. My second stereo for example is a TEAC CR-H240 and the first thing I did was to add better speakers. So I think we really will try to find a good bargain in the UK (German models usually come without DAB as it is not very common here, but if a tuner has it it can't be a mistake I think, though you only can receive a few stations wh: is it possibleere we live) of a TEAC 2XX, or a Denon DM37/DM38, as the Marantz is too expensive and also Marantz and Yamaha seem to be the opposite to Denon and TEAC micros. They are more expensive in the UK than here. Only problem you always have when ordering something in UK is, that most of the dealers do not deliver outside the UK. I searched the net a while and saw that Home AV Direct sells Denons and Teacs for a good price and offers some interesting bundle deals for the DENON DM38. They would also deliver to Germany for only 15GBP! Also they sell the TEAC CR-H248 for 167GBP and the 258iGBp for 199GBP on ebay and maybe I could ask them for a bundle deal with those stereos, too.
emotion-2.gif
Does anyone know this company? Is this a serious one? To me it seems so, but I never heard of the shop before!

http://homeavdirect.co.uk/bundle-deals-stereo-hi-fi-bundles

The Tannoy F1 I did not have on my list but it seems to be a very popular speaker in the UK I just see. How do they sound? Can you describe them a little? As one recommended the Q Acoustics 2020 here, too: Is it a good idea to order the wallbrackets with them or do they not sound as good as the 2010 when put on wallbrackets? I think it might get a problem with the bass, but not sure! What do you think? Which would be the better choice when she wants to use the wallbrackets? The 2010 or the 2020 and could some of you describe the sound of them a little? What is the difference? She listens to classic, jazz, blues and some rock (I guess she will go for the Q Acoustics in the end as they are available in white-Women! LOL)
emotion-2.gif
Or do they sound better on stands or on a cupboard?

Have a nice Sunday!
emotion-2.gif

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The TEAC CRH258 is a great system and well matched with Roth Oli10 speakers (new model succeeding the Oli 1 speakers) or Wharfedale 10.0 / 10.1 speakers.

A

Anonymous

@audioaffair: Added the Roth Oli10 to my list, too. Would they include wallbrackets, as I read that the Oli 1 speakers included wallbrackets? Would you deliver to Germany, too and what would be the shipping?

A

Anonymous

We ended up buying a new TEAC CR-H240DAB + TEAC LS-H250 on ebay UK from a private seller! If she wants to upgrade the system with better speakers later she always can when maybe a little more money is saved! I think for the start and the low budget the LS-H250 are quite good enough (she has been without any stereo at all since 2 years) as we got both the cd-receiver and the speakers for a good price from the same seller and he will send it to us as one parcel even for 27GBP!
emotion-2.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300502539535&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300503545495&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts