need some advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
6 weeks ago i purchased the denon avr1910 amp and the KEF kht3005se-w style speakers from superfi.

im really happy with the sound from the system however i bought a new bluray player 2 weeks and watched fight club this afternoon.

Ive noticed some crackling coming from the centre speakeron vocals. Taking the front speaker cover off makes it more noticeeable but its only coming from the right hand tweeter and is worse the louder i have the volume.

Dvds, sky and my ipod are fine (no crackling).

does anyone have any idea what this noise could be ?

thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

im guessing , but it could be that the powerful high res sound going to the speakers , whilst playing blu-rays is exposing a flaw in the tweeter ?

A

Anonymous

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Yes, the speakers were calibrated via auydessy. What speakers settings do you need me to tell you ronald ? Sorry im a newbie to cinema sound and equipment. Where do i find the details you need. there seems so many settings on the menus

A

Anonymous

perhaps try a different web browser ronald ? im using firefox and have never had a problem posting ..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
RA,

Are you typing posts in Word and then cutting and pasting into the Forum? Noticed you'd done that on a thread earlier today, and just wondering if there's something in all the Word header gubbins giving problems with the site.

If you are, could I ask you to try writing in a plain text editor such as Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac), and see whether that solves the problem. If you're not, just ignore me...
emotion-5.gif

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
kalanisi:Ive noticed some crackling coming from the centre speakeron vocals. Taking the front speaker cover off makes it more noticeeable but its only coming from the right hand tweeter and is worse the louder i have the volume.
I don't follow you kalanisi - the right hand tweeter in the centre speaker? You mean the small 2" round bass driver on the right, or the tweeter in the very centre (the silver thing)? (I've a Denon 2310 with the KEF3005SE's).

A

Anonymous

sorry, yes the bass driver if thats what its called. Crackling comes from there whilst watching blu ray discs but seems fine on everything else

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Strange if it's only the right hand side one, since the one on the right should be doing exactly the same as the one on the left! It sounds then that you may have damaged it. I asked because I tend to run my AV pretty much flat out most of the time: Depending on the Blu-Ray (and it does only seem to happen with BR discs, maybe because they're more demanding sound-wise), the pressed-metal grill on the centre speaker tended to rattle/vibrate annoyingly. It's only held on with a couple of magnets, and a dob of blu-tack cured that. But if it is only the right hand side speaker and not the left in the centre speaker, it happens when the grill is off, and it gets even worse when you turn the volume up, it does sound as if it is a fault with that particular speaker/driver. Maybe you could take it in to Superfi and ask them to check it in one of their demo systems to see if they can replicate the fault?

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
AE,

Yes, I did save it in word when I could not post it, thinking I would come back later and paste it instead of writing it all over again.

I also tried typing it out again and I still faced the same problem. I will do as you suggest.

Thank you.

Ronald

EDIT - Still doesn't work, AE. I wonder if there is a compatibility issue with Microsoft Word 2007? I tried typing it out fresh and it still does not work.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Kalanisi,

As soon as you have carried out the automatic calibration using Audyssey,
these settings will be saved in your receiver.

If you go into your speaker settings menu, you will find them, including the
crossover settings for your subwoofer which is likely to be set around 120Hz.

The issue with Audyssey is while the automatic calibration is a useful and
convenient tool in setting up your speakers for you with a minimum amount of hassle,
the downside is it's rarely accurate in terms of extracting the best
performance from your speakers - hence the inevitable need for further manual
tweaking, in my opinion. Unless of course you are totally happy with the auto-calibration.

Speakers are normally set by Audyssey to 'Full Band' or 'Large' whether the
speakers are floorstanders, bookshelf or satellite speakers - it is almost as
if this was the default option! In the first instance, these need to be changed
to 'Small' in your case and in most cases really.

I would suggest you set everything down to 80Hz (THX settings), including
the subwoofer. It does not matter if your speakers are not THX-certified.
Alternatively, you could also try out Dolby's 100Hz settings and see which you
prefer.

My own speakers are set to 80Hz all around and this works for me. I have
tried various settings but have found this to be the ideal settiing for me
personally.

Ronald

A

Anonymous

I would totally agree with Ronald

Auto EQ is probably fine for frequency response in the room , but please manually measure speaker distances , get a SPL meter and set levels , and input the data manually.

Speaker size etc as per Ronald's post

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I too agree with Ronald regarding the use of Audyssey, but personally I doubt Kalanisi's problem has anything to do with his receiver settings.

Kalanisi says his problem is with the right hand side driver of the centre speaker. The KEF3005SE centre speaker uses a 4" main driver with a tweeter centrally mounted, and that is flanked on either side by two small 2" bass drivers, both of which are being fed the same signal. As it is only the small right-hand side bass driver that crackles and not the left, it'd seem (to me anyway) that there's a problem with that right-hand driver rather than any of the equipment feeding it or the settings being used.

If it were a receiver or player related issue, wouldn't both these identical left and right 2" bass drivers suffer from the same crackle, and probably the central driver too?

A

Anonymous

its only a problem with blu-rays , high res , more powerful sound , as i said in my first post , this could be pushing the flawed driver hard enough to expose the problem ? tv , dvds sound , which is not as potent , is fine ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts