Need some advice Klipsch Reference RF-82 II MK2

otoko

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I would like to buy my first hi-fi equipment and got a good impression from the Klipsch RF-82 MKII. Compared to other speakers in that price level they seemed better to me although I can't quite say why I prefered them during listening. As this is my first purchase of a (hopefully) decent sound system, I am concerned of making a bad move and would like some advice from folks:

- I found very little to no review of those speakers online. Are they any good ? (I am rather an inexperienced audiophile and would like to make a decent choice nonetheless).

- What amp is needed to drive them properly? I listened it paired to Marantz PM-7005 which is almost on par with the speakers in terms of pricing. Is that a good choice or too much for these speakers?

I am listening mostly to pop-rock, hip hop, rap, blues. Planning to use them with the TV as well (not necessarily HC).

Listening area is about 35m², but I want to be able to hear it in the other rooms of the house which spans over maybe 80m² in a rather open, straight line. That combination is in my budget (although on the high-end of what I am ready to invest right now) so I am not willing to spend more - but do not necessarily want to overspend.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

The Klipsch are big boisterous speakers with lots of everything, especially bass. They are easy to drive and will produce pretty high volumes with virtually any decent modern amplifier.

That said, they are not exactly refined and sophisticated, but in a big space they can be mighty impressive.

Not the sort of speaker I would buy for everyday use, but for a bit of fun, hell yeah......*dirol*

otoko

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your advice. So what other speaker should I listen to as alternatives before I decide?

And would you advise to downgrade the amp?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
otoko said:
Thanks for your advice. So what other speaker should I listen to as alternatives before I decide?

And would you advise to downgrade the amp?

It is difficult, it seems everyone wants something different from their system these days, makes it very hard to advise.

Firstly a lot depends on what is available in your location, at what price and what is actually available for you to hear. If at all possible get to hear as many different things as you can before deciding.

Amp speaker matching is more than just about price, for example the Klipsch are big, easy to drive speakers so a cheaper but decent amplifier will do fine, on the other hand a pair of price competitive compact ATCs or B&Ws are less sensitive and much harder to drive so you need a much better and more powerful amplifier. Getting this right is the trick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts