Need New Headphones for Gaming!

HyperBlue

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello

I've been recently searching for some new headphones for my PC but finding it difficult to come by a set which satisfies my needs, the primary use of which will be used for 60% gaming (all types of games) , 25% videos on YouTube and 15% for music (mainly alternative rock, dubstep and pop).

Here is my current setup:

Asrock Z77 extreme4 integrated sound card and the Turtle Beach PX21.

I will be purchasing the Asus Xonar DGX sound card and will also be purchasing a new pair of headphones (£150 budget [I am from the UK so will be using Amazon UK to purchase these items]), I will also be purchasing a attachable mic.

I have been doing some research and came across the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and the Audio-Technica ATH M50, these both seem like good headphones however are very limited to specific elements, I want a full immersive experience in games (such as in Skyrim and Battlefield 3), however I have heard the AD700 does not offer anything in terms of bass, however I also want to play competitively where the directional awareness is a huge factor, while I want to be immersed in the game.

I also want a competitive advantage, unfortunately the M50 appears to lack severely soundstage which is a huge factor for me as I want to be able to locate the enemy on the map.

So I want to compromise between the two, a good bass, but also good sound awareness (being able to hear where the enemies are coming from), while still maintaining the high sound quality from the mids, highs and lows which the AD700 offers and I need your help to find this.

Questions:

1) I have found some headphones called the Sennheiser HD 598, are they any good for my needs?

2) Is the AD700's bass really that bad compared to the Turtle Beach's PX21 which I thought had amazing bass?

3) Is the M50's soundstage really non-existant as people lead me to believe?

4) What are my alternatives considering I have a budget of around £150 but I can go up or down?

Thanks.

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
hi well i use use my pc for gaming and music i have a asus xonar essence xt sound card i use sennheiser pc360 headphones(about £150 i think)all the reviews i had read before purchase where excellent.with the sound card i have the sound is great for both gaming and music and fantastic for movies.what you need to remember is the better the headset the better the sound you need to get the most out of them.i would recommend a better sound card with a built in headphone amp.try that first as you will be suprised at the difference a good sound card and your turtle beach set will sound because onboard sound(shivers down spine)is useless.you will notice the difference with a good sound card straight away even with the turtle headphones

ps.why do you need a detachable mic the sennheiser pc360 have one of the best inbuilt mics on gaming headphones and swivels up and down fully up does not get in the way of music listening and also when pushed up mutes the mic great for raging without them hearing you :)

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
HyperBlue said:
1) I have found some headphones called the Sennheiser HD 598, are they any good for my needs?

Thanks.

those are realy just for listening to music.great headphones for music but not for gaming

HyperBlue

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I shall be purchasing the DT990's thanks a lot guys, not to choose an amplifier (if anyone can help I have a budget of £80, I can stretch this to £100 if need be).

I have heard the O2 is a good amplifier, however, I cannot locate it anywhere for £100, any ideas?

Also the fiio 10 comes up a lot, not sure about this.

And finally people say I need an amplifier and a dac, what is the difference (if you can offer examples of products).

Thanks!

bigporl

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Nelly said:
HyperBlue said:

Thanks.

those are realy just for listening to music.great headphones for music but not for gaming

The HD 598s are great for gaming as being open backed they have a wide sound stage this teamed with a decent sound card with dolby headphone will give you a great experience. If you dont believe me try reading some fps gaming forums about what gaming headsets to use and you will usually gets flamed an told about hd 595/598s

bigporl

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Nelly said:
HyperBlue said:

Thanks.

The HD 598s are great for gaming as being open backed they have a wide sound stage this teamed with a decent sound card with dolby headphone will give you a great experience. If you dont believe me try reading some fps gaming forums about what gaming headsets to use and you will usually gets flamed an told about hd 595/598s

caesar44

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
bigporl said:
If you dont believe me try reading some fps gaming forums about what gaming headsets to use and you will usually gets flamed an told about hd 595/598s

Correction: the HD558/598. The 595's are rarely mentioned.

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Sennheiser headphones in the hd 5-- series are superb for for gaming. I use their PC 363D which are based on the hd 518's and the sound quality, soundstage, and build quality is fantastic. The boom mic you can raise up out of the way and it auto-mutes when you do so. I believe this is a feature of all sennheiser gaming headsets. So comfortable to over hours of use. Thoroughly recommended.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Sennheiser PC360 G4ME FTW. You can wear these all day in complete comfort and forget you're wearing them. Well built, great sound and mic. Best headset I've owned in 20 years gaming.

Jacobbrown

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I was also having these Sennheiser HD 598 headphones, but it sounds very higher when there are some scenes with the high quality 3d motion graphics. At that time it gets very irritating. I am thinking of buying new headphones, so, which one will be better..??

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I am using Grado SR225i. I can not believe my ears.

Lots complain about comfort but I can wear mine for hours. They are light and cooler than most so your ears don't get all sweaty greasy. It's just an good accidental result of the design that they are cool, I think. Cooler than the flat pads of the SR125's and under.

As for comfort I would paste in an answer I put in another post. Yet copy and paste does not work on this forum. I put my answer to the comfort issue in a 'headphone' thread by someone, entitled "Grado 125e dissapointment". If you are interested, find that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts