need ideas ?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i sit at on my sofa with my laptop, so when i want my itunes/spotify through my hifi set-up i have to place the laptop next to my dac-magic and send a hdmi to tv and thgen use a wireless mouse/keyboard.

for some reason when i turn windows media sharing on my computer uses all 100% of its cpu and p memory so i leave that off. ( i think its a bug in the windows 7 that go installed on my laptop).

so apart from buying a new laptop and leaving this on next to the hifi i cant see a decent idea.And that would cost £300-£500 and ive only just paid £429.99 on my laptop 8 months ago.

so what i am really after is something that can sit next to my hifi send a digital signal to my dac-magic and send spotify and itunes( which i hope i can transfer off my laptop) if not re-rip. It must work with no internet on so i can play the spotify offline and itunes when my mrs is on the internet/xbox/ps3 spotify seems to slow it down a touch.

it would need a display so i could control it there and not need to use a tv for osd or the laptop as that my be left at work.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:
i sit at on my sofa with my laptop, so when i want my itunes/spotify through my hifi set-up i have to place the laptop next to my dac-magic and send a hdmi to tv and thgen use a wireless mouse/keyboard.

for some reason when i turn windows media sharing on my computer uses all 100% of its cpu and p memory so i leave that off. ( i think its a bug in the windows 7 that go installed on my laptop).

so apart from buying a new laptop and leaving this on next to the hifi i cant see a decent idea.And that would cost £300-£500 and ive only just paid £429.99 on my laptop 8 months ago.

so what i am really after is something that can sit next to my hifi send a digital signal to my dac-magic and send spotify and itunes( which i hope i can transfer off my laptop) if not re-rip. It must work with no internet on so i can play the spotify offline and itunes when my mrs is on the internet/xbox/ps3 spotify seems to slow it down a touch.

it would need a display so i could control it there and not need to use a tv for osd or the laptop as that my be left at work.

Sounds like Sonos may be a winner for you? Do you have an iPhone or iPod Touch for the free remote control software too? Although I am unsure whether Sonos allows for offline Spotify playlists.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
mrs has an iphone, i would love to demo and think about the sonos but it looks alot of money and i fall in love easy,i only really have around £250 cause its not a must more of a gadet thing that will help me keep my laptop in one place

cause i getting a phono stage in the next 6 weeks, then some B&W cm1's around may then a rel sub around august, then a new tv next christmas, so i have a plan im trying to stick with.

T

the record spot

Options:-

1. Buy a Netbook for about £200 or a secondhand one for even less, you only need to run iTunes (or the like) and it's not memory hungry. Get an offboard HDD for the capacity (the one I use - below - was £50 for 1TB off Amazon and is fine).

2. Buy a last-gen iPod Touch off the Techfurb shop on Ebay. I picked up a new 32Gb Touch for £150 just before Christmas. Ideal for an easy music playback solution and it'll hold plenty to be getting on with. Yes, £150 - around £100 less than the equivalent current generation. The price fluctuates though, so it might have climbed a little - most I've seen is £175 or so, so still top value and you get a year's standard warranty. Techfurb is the Ebay wing of the Dixons/PC World group and I had no hassles.

Hope that helps. Both will work well and keep you in budget.

A

Anonymous

I'm assuming as you can play directly through your laptop you'd be able to use spotify offline, Sonos also relies on a wireless network but a 'mesh' network which shouldn't effect your mrs' gaming.
I'm assuming you're looking for something more like the Sony HWSBTA2W? (this uses a bluetooth network). This probably isn't the best option as it looks like its primary use is with lower level players (phones... etc) although i'm sure it should defineatly do the job and at around £50 new and i'm sure it's not THAT terrible... I'm hoping this elicits some hope/intrigue in solving this (it does depend on if your laptop is bluetooth enabled though). I also don't know what your equipment is like but on the same coin (dependent on the quality of your system) you could get a 'decent' quality bluetooth enabled amp such as the STRDH100, either way a bluetooth reciver and transmitter sounds like a good idea for you... (after all of that you can buy them on their own for about £100 - www.amazon.co.uk/iSkin-CRTXRX-BK-Ceruelan-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B000SO1J2Q/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1294502640&sr=1-9).
Goodluck with everything and I hope it goes very well, love to hear what you do as I have a similar issue (being in a dorm) people have everything strewn across my room and the thought of cables running across, with my equipment attactched to the end makes me skip a beat.
Kind Regards
Jim

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Airport express and airfoil. Job done, less than a ton.

emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts