Need help selecting speakers to audition

theFan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,I've recently purchased my first bit of hifi kit - Arcam Alpha 8 CD player, integrated amp and power amp. Paid about 275GBP which i thought was an alright deal.I'm now after a set of floorstanding speakers to go with it. One thing to consider is that I live in New Zealand so my options are a bit limited and also the prices sometimes don't line up with their prices in the UK/US so something that is good bang for buck in the UK maybe expensive here.My options so far are:- B&W CM8 1750GBP- B&W 683 1220GBP- B&W 684 950GBP- MA RX6 1150GBP- Splendor A3 1450GBP- Warfdale Diamond 10.6 800GBP- Polk RTi A7 1kGBP- Mission MX5 1kGBP- Kef Q900 750GBP- Kef Q700 600GBPI love the sound and the look of CM8's but they're really just too expensive. I haven't demo'ed any of the others.I listen to rock ie Smashing Pumpkins, classic rock ie Led Zeppelin and acoustic rock ie Ben Harper. I'm more prone to ear fatigue that most (maybe rules out the MA speakers) and i love speakers that give a big sound stage and have a bit of authority.I'm pretty sure that when it comes to value for money the Kefs are going to easily win - but these are the only ones I can't demo as the only stockist is a 3 hour flight away.The speakers i choose will be in the lounge with the Arcam gear and used for 80% music, 20% movies. My medium term plan is to move the arcam gear into another listening room and buy a home theatre reciever for the lounge - the speakers will either follow the Arcam gear or stay in the lounge depending on how i like them. I'll probably bi-amp with the Arcam integrated on the high frequencies and the power amp on the low frequencies.Lounge is 7m x 4m with the stereo positioned in the middle of the 7m wall, couch directly opposite against the wall.What speakers should i audition baring in mind the local prices? Or should i not bother and just buy the Kefs?Thanks,Tim

Hi,

I've recently purchased my first bit of hifi kit - Arcam Alpha 8 CD player, integrated amp and power amp. Paid about 275GBP which i thought was an alright deal.

I'm now after a set of floorstanding speakers to go with it. One thing to consider is that I live in New Zealand so my options are a bit limited and also the prices sometimes don't line up with their prices in the UK/US so something that is good bang for buck in the UK maybe expensive here.

My options so far are:
- B&W CM8 1750GBP
- B&W 683 1220GBP
- B&W 684 950GBP
- MA RX6 1150GBP
- Splendor A3 1450GBP
- Warfdale Diamond 10.6 800GBP
- Polk RTi A7 1kGBP
- Mission MX5 1kGBP
- Kef Q900 750GBP
- Kef Q700 600GBP

I love the sound and the look of CM8's but they're really just too expensive. I haven't demo'ed any of the others.

I listen to rock ie Smashing Pumpkins, classic rock ie Led Zeppelin and acoustic rock ie Ben Harper. I'm more prone to ear fatigue that most (maybe rules out the MA speakers) and i love speakers that give a big sound stage and have a bit of authority.

I'm pretty sure that when it comes to value for money the Kefs are going to easily win - but these are the only ones I can't demo as the only stockist is a 3 hour flight away.

The speakers i choose will be in the lounge with the Arcam gear and used for 80% music, 20% movies. My medium term plan is to move the arcam gear into another listening room and buy a home theatre reciever for the lounge - the speakers will either follow the Arcam gear or stay in the lounge depending on how i like them. I'll probably bi-amp with the Arcam integrated on the high frequencies and the power amp on the low frequencies.

Lounge is 7m x 4m with the stereo positioned in the middle of the 7m wall, couch directly opposite against the wall.

What speakers should i audition baring in mind the local prices? Or should i not bother and just buy the Kefs online?

Thanks,

Tim

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The B&W's seem a little expensive compared to the UK, but the KEF's seem cheap! With the budget you're looking at, if the R series is similarly cheaper, I wouldn't overlook them.

theFan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The R700s are 2kGBP (out of my price range) and they don't have the R500s.

Belive it or not, the CM8 recommended retail price is 2500GBP.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Spendors wouldn't be a good match with Arcam.

Why not?

Spendors, compared to the other makes mentioned, are fairly hard to drive. Arcam does not have the purist current, even with a power amp, and therefore would be better suited to less demanding speaker.

The Spendor A3s (the OP listed) look a fairly easy load at 8 ohms (minimum 6.2 ohms) and 86dB.

4-way binding posts allow for bi-amping with the OPs Alpha 8 integrated and Alpha 8 power amp.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
IME, with Metal, rock, alternative, Arcam never really cut it for me. However, something like Within Temptation would go well with Arcam.

Can you demo the Monitor Audio BX5 ? In comparison to some of the floor sanders about they seem good value,mand would counter the more relaxed Arcam.

T

the record spot

Arcam and Mission certainly used to work well together, and maybe if they're in your area, there's Q Acoustics 2050i too. A big speaker for the money but you'll get great value for money; not too expensive but performance belies the price tag by all accounts.

camcroft

richardw42 said:
IME, with Metal, rock, alternative, Arcam never really cut it for me. However, something like Within Temptation would go well with Arcam.

Can you demo the Monitor Audio BX5 ? In comparison to some of the floor sanders about they seem good value,mand would counter the more relaxed Arcam.

Are there any particular floor sanders to mention that you could demo against the Monitor Audio BX5;)

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
+1 on the Q Acoustics 2050i - heard a pair last weekend powered by an HK 990 (possibly too much of a good thing for the speakers but it certainly had the controlling of them) with a Sonos as source (no external DAC) and they sounded great. Big, room-filling sound which I don't think you would tire of easily - not harsh at all, far from it. Very good value too, at least over here.

Really looking forward to hearing Kef R100 and R300 too - I imagine they would fit your bill quite nicely too, but a bit more expensive.

What's the second hand market like over there? And the weather?

theFan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback.

I was really expecting the to hear that the Kefs compete with the likes of the CM8s and the MA RX6/RX8s but are half the cost so just buy them.

The suggestions for the BX5s and the 2050i, are these a polite way of saying some of the more expensive speakers i've listed are a class above the amp? Or maybe they have tonal features that better match the amp? I can easily demo the BX5s (and other MA speakers) and the 2050i so i will and do that this weekend.

Both these speakers sell for about 700GBP.

I do realise the Arcam Alpha 8 isn't the best amp for my listening tastes but value for money and being my first hifi amp purchase i couldn't resist.

The second hand market here isn't that great. I think that the reletively high cost of gear here encourages people to hold on to it a while.

-Tim

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The CM8's are more in line with the R500's, and the R700's with the CM9's. Over there at those prices, the more expensive CM8's will lose out in certain areas to the cheaper R700's.

theFan said:
Hi,I've recently purchased my first bit of hifi kit - Arcam Alpha 8 CD player, integrated amp and power amp. Paid about 275GBP which i thought was an alright deal.I'm now after a set of floorstanding speakers to go with it. One thing to consider is that I live in New Zealand so my options are a bit limited and also the prices sometimes don't line up with their prices in the UK/US so something that is good bang for buck in the UK maybe expensive here.My options so far are:- B&W CM8 1750GBP- B&W 683 1220GBP- B&W 684 950GBP- MA RX6 1150GBP- Splendor A3 1450GBP- Warfdale Diamond 10.6 800GBP- Polk RTi A7 1kGBP- Mission MX5 1kGBP- Kef Q900 750GBP- Kef Q700 600GBPI love the sound and the look of CM8's but they're really just too expensive. I haven't demo'ed any of the others.I listen to rock ie Smashing Pumpkins, classic rock ie Led Zeppelin and acoustic rock ie Ben Harper. I'm more prone to ear fatigue that most (maybe rules out the MA speakers) and i love speakers that give a big sound stage and have a bit of authority.I'm pretty sure that when it comes to value for money the Kefs are going to easily win - but these are the only ones I can't demo as the only stockist is a 3 hour flight away.The speakers i choose will be in the lounge with the Arcam gear and used for 80% music, 20% movies. My medium term plan is to move the arcam gear into another listening room and buy a home theatre reciever for the lounge - the speakers will either follow the Arcam gear or stay in the lounge depending on how i like them. I'll probably bi-amp with the Arcam integrated on the high frequencies and the power amp on the low frequencies.Lounge is 7m x 4m with the stereo positioned in the middle of the 7m wall, couch directly opposite against the wall.What speakers should i audition baring in mind the local prices? Or should i not bother and just buy the Kefs?Thanks,Tim

Hi,

I've recently purchased my first bit of hifi kit - Arcam Alpha 8 CD player, integrated amp and power amp. Paid about 275GBP which i thought was an alright deal.

I'm now after a set of floorstanding speakers to go with it. One thing to consider is that I live in New Zealand so my options are a bit limited and also the prices sometimes don't line up with their prices in the UK/US so something that is good bang for buck in the UK maybe expensive here.

My options so far are:
- B&W CM8 1750GBP
- B&W 683 1220GBP
- B&W 684 950GBP
- MA RX6 1150GBP
- Splendor A3 1450GBP
- Warfdale Diamond 10.6 800GBP
- Polk RTi A7 1kGBP
- Mission MX5 1kGBP
- Kef Q900 750GBP
- Kef Q700 600GBP

I love the sound and the look of CM8's but they're really just too expensive. I haven't demo'ed any of the others.

I listen to rock ie Smashing Pumpkins, classic rock ie Led Zeppelin and acoustic rock ie Ben Harper. I'm more prone to ear fatigue that most (maybe rules out the MA speakers) and i love speakers that give a big sound stage and have a bit of authority.

I'm pretty sure that when it comes to value for money the Kefs are going to easily win - but these are the only ones I can't demo as the only stockist is a 3 hour flight away.

The speakers i choose will be in the lounge with the Arcam gear and used for 80% music, 20% movies. My medium term plan is to move the arcam gear into another listening room and buy a home theatre reciever for the lounge - the speakers will either follow the Arcam gear or stay in the lounge depending on how i like them. I'll probably bi-amp with the Arcam integrated on the high frequencies and the power amp on the low frequencies.

Lounge is 7m x 4m with the stereo positioned in the middle of the 7m wall, couch directly opposite against the wall.

What speakers should i audition baring in mind the local prices? Or should i not bother and just buy the Kefs online?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim

Firstly the three Alpha 8 Series are good components so it looks like you've got a fair deal. Anyway i'll recommend Monitor Audio's Silver RX6 speakers as i feel these three Alpha 8 Series components together should be a good tonal match with Silver RX6's and also suit the genre of music that you listen to :) If you are eventually going to move into home cinema then with the Silver RX6's you got an excellent base to start with as you can then look at the superb Silver RX6 AV12 speaker system 8)

Btw, have you also thought about what interconnects and speaker cables you'll be using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

theFan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I spent some time at a B&W showroom today and heard these:

683: A bit underwhelming, a bit muffled sounding. THe room was quite big - maybe that contributed.

CM8: had the sparkle in the mids/highs that were missing on the 683. Bass was really poor but they were straight out of the box which im sure is the reason. Too expensive for me though.

802: Perfect, but also far, far too expensive.

I've also listened to the MA RX8. I thought these were alright, but again, was a bit underwhelemed in that i didn't experience the wow factor. I can't explain it any other way.

I haven't been able to listen to the Kef Q900s because there aren't any retailers in my city, but, my girlfriend was visiting her mother it a city where there is a Kef retailer so she listened to them for me... and gave a favourable review. They're also 250GBP less than the 683s and the RX6s.

I've also listened to a few that are a class below these and they all sounded a class below too.

So, still a few to listen to but i'm starting to worry that my expectations are too high for this price bracket..

I haven't seriously considered cables yet.

theFan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to revise my negative comments towards the B&W 683s for the benefit of anyone that stumbles apon this thread:

I went back to the B&W showroom and found that on my first visit listening to the 683s:

a) the highs were being ruined because they were too close to a wall on each side

b) the bass was sloppy because they were on a low (6 inch) display platform

I moved them off the platform and away from the side walls and they sounded pretty good.

I could a/b them with the 684s and the 683s dominated in every way - particularly in the mids and with the seperation of instruments. Doing blind tests with my girlfriend she could select the 683s every time (and she's not bothered with hifi at all).

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Based on your list and taking price into consideration, for me it's a no brainer, get the RX6. Best all-arounder in that bunch and nice bass extension. The spendors are great speakers, but the A3 is bass light and will suck the fun out of any music requiring low end punch.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Epos Epic 5, best loud speaker up to 1000£ by hi fi choice 2011.

They cost 750£ in UK.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/epos-epic-5-955503/review

http://www.aussiehifi.com.au/buy/epos-epic-5-floorstanding-two-way-loudspeaker/EPIC5

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/awards-2011-loudspeakers-up-to-pound;1000/9259/

8)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Epos Epic 5, best loud speaker up to 1000£ by hi fi choice 2011.

They cost 750£ in UK.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/epos-epic-5-955503/review

http://www.aussiehifi.com.au/buy/epos-epic-5-floorstanding-two-way-loudspeaker/EPIC5

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/awards-2011-loudspeakers-up-to-pound;1000/9259/

8)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Epos Epic 5, best loud speaker up to 1000£ by hi fi choice 2011. They cost 750£ in UK. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/epos-epic-5-955503/review http://www.aussiehifi.com.au/buy/epos-epic-5-floorstanding-two-way-loudspeaker/EPIC5 http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/awards-2011-loudspeakers-up-to-pound;1000/9259/ 8)

DeadBee

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
What not the Tannoy DC6Ts? You might also still beable to get the signature model of the same price as the newer one, as it's diconntiued and priced to clear.

683 can be difficult. The are fussy about positioning and also not so great at lower volumes. Too close to the wall makes for messy bass. They are tuneable with the port bungs though.

A

Anonymous

You probably wont want to hear this..........but seriously hang fire, save the extra cash and go for the b&w cm8's.

You will never regret it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Epos Epic 5, best loud speakers under 1000£ from h* f* c****e magazine!

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/Hi-Fi/epos-epic-5-loudspeakers-review-and-test.html

8) :cheers:

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the last poster (Epos). Also the Epic 2 might be in. The Tannoy's have also been pointed at. How about the Kef R500 ? I think B & W's are some overpriced in general. They seem to need a good (and expensive!) amp too, to get their best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts