Need help from Cyrus owners and expert help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am aiming to improve 2-channel replay from my system.

Currently, I have a Marantz AV8003 Surround Sound Processor performing pre-amp duties and a NAD Masters Series M25 7-channel Power Amplifier powering all my loudspeakers.

I have a Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player (and a PSX-R wired to it) wired to my Marantz AV8003.

Now, I am searching for a good 2-channel dedicated Pre-Amplifier. First choice, obviously, is the Cyrus Pre vs2. However, based on what I have been informed, it appears as though the Pre vs2 does not have special provisions to be HT by-passable.

I would like to know if there is a way to make the Pre vs2 HT by-passable, or if it in fact, is HT by-passable?

Sorry if I have confused anyone, but to re-cap, I still need my Marantz AV8003 to feed signals to my NAD M25 to power my loudspeakers, but for 2-channel stereo listening only, I would like the Cyrus Pre vs2 to be performing 2-channel pre-amp duties.

Basically, I know that I can wire up the Pre vs2 via RCA analogue interconnects to my Marantz AV8003 (which then in turn sends signals to my NAD M25, which then powers my loudspeakers) while my Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player gets wired via RCA analogue interconnects to the Pre vs2. However, I need it to work out, so that my Marantz AV8003 does not perform anything while in 2-channel mode, except to allow the Cyrus Pre vs2 to perform pre-amp duties and send signals all the way through to my NAD M25 Power Amplifier.

Dan.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Dan I have the 8SE and doesnt it have two analoge outputs plus a coax out in the back. In theroy you could use both analog outputs one going to the HT amp and one going to the cyrus Pre and that should work just fine. But really all you need is to run one set of analog from CD to the PRE AMP........then leads from the Pre out on the (PRE AMP) to L/R input to the HT amp. Its much easier than it sounds

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mike. That is how I have always thought it is to be done. However, I have been told that it is important that the 2-channel pre-amplifier be HT by-passable, otherwise, the multi-channel AV Processor will still be doing the pre-amp duties for 2-channel.

However, I was checking out the Cambridge Audio 840E on Cambridge Audio's web-site, and see what one of the features of their 840E 2-channel Pre-Amplifier is:

Fixed level inputs allow the 840E to provide the front channel amplification when integrated with home cinema systems that use an AV processor

I don't exactly understand what that means, but I am guessing that they are selling it as a plus point of this unit - in that it has HT by-pass.

Sorry but I am very green on this 2-channel thing, and I must admit that to me, I have always thought that the way to do it is the way that you have mentioned.

Basically, all I want is when I am listening to 2-channel via my Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player, I want a 2-channel Pre-Amplifier to control the volume and do its pre-amp duties, instead of my Marantz multi-channel AV Surround Sound Processor doing it.

A

Anonymous

Ask on the Cyrus Unofficial forum. Plenty of experts there! Just google it.

Messiah

dantan:

However, I was checking out the Cambridge Audio 840E on Cambridge Audio's web-site, and see what one of the features of their 840E 2-channel Pre-Amplifier is:

Fixed level inputs allow the 840E to provide the front channel amplification when integrated with home cinema systems that use an AV processor

I don't exactly understand what that means, but I am guessing that they are selling it as a plus point of this unit - in that it has HT by-pass.

First of all, the CA quote is to do with connecting an AV receiver to it and not the other way around like you want.

Second - it seems pointless connecting the second output of the 8SE to the Marantz if you are going to use the Cyrus Pre when listening to CD's.

Third - I'm not really sure that you would get much benefit in using a Cyrus Pre in this manner. Really you should connect the front pre-outs on the Marantz to an input (usually AV) on the Cyrus and then connect the Cyrus to the power amp. Then connect the CD player to the Cyrus pre-amp and when you want to listen to CD the Marantz will be out of the equation.

However. you would also have to recalibrate the speaker settings on the receiver. When you do this you would need to set the Cyrus Pre to a memorable position (like 10 o'clock) and run the calibration. Then each time you used the receiver for surround you would set the Pre to this position. (Just remember to turn it down if you change input!).

Hope this makes sense!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts