Need clarification on connection, as making me nervous!

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

Being in a remote part of Australia with no hi-fi dealers. I am about to buy a Cambridge Audio 851N or CXN and it states it is a digital pre-amp. What I am concerned about is where do I connect it to my QUAD 909? Just through the analogue outs? I don't beleive there are any other connections? I just don't want to go spend between $1900 - $2500 AUD have it posted to me and find they actually cannot be connected together.

Thank you for anyone who can clarify and calm my worries.

Darryn

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ABM78 said:
Hi All,

Being in a remote part of Australia with no hi-fi dealers.  I am about to buy a Cambridge Audio 851N or CXN and it states it is a digital pre-amp.  What I am concerned about is where do I connect it to my QUAD 909?  Just through the analogue outs?  I don't beleive there are any other connections?  I just don't want to go spend between $1900 - $2500 AUD have it posted to me and find they actually cannot be connected together.

Thank you for anyone who can clarify and calm my worries.

Darryn

The rca audio out on the cambridge to the rca in on the quad power amp as if im correct the 909 does not have xlr connections. And yes dont worry it will work

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Configure the streamer before you power up the amp!

IIRC the streamers come configured as fixed output components and need a setting changed to pre-amp mode. Without this change you will be connecting them together at full volume with no control which might prove surprising at best and costly at worst.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
splasher said:
Configure the streamer before you power up the amp!

IIRC the streamers come configured as fixed output components and need a setting changed to pre-amp mode. Without this change you will be connecting them together at full volume with no control which might prove surprising at best and costly at worst.

Not the case with the CXN, the volume is active at switch on and though I am not sure about the other model though I suspect it is the same. In any case, in any pre-power system it is best to switch the power amp on last and off first.

Set the volume low, then switch on the power amp, can't really go wrong if you do that.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Not the case with the CXN, the volume is active at switch on and though I am not sure about the other model though I suspect it is the same. In any case, in any pre-power system it is best to switch the power amp on last and off first.

Set the volume low, then switch on the power amp, can't really go wrong if you do that.

Chcking it's in preamp mode is a 20s check. It may be a wasted 20s but equally it may be an ex demo model that been altered, who knows. Double checking before power up is good advice so why the need to contradict?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts