Need advice on paint colour for home cinema room

hybridauth_facebook_670373973

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi my home cinema room is plastered and ready for paint - The painter is going to use Dulux paint.

The room is 15.5 foot wide by 18 foot.

I will have a fixed 100 inch screen

There will be 4 up lights on the side walls [2 on each wall]

Any advice - greatly appreciated - thanks

hybridauth_facebook_670373973

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I like matt beige on the side walls and matt black on the screen walls with matt grey on the ceiling?

Would that work or would it be okay to paint all walls matt beige and grey ceiling

or walls and ceiling in matt grey with darker grey on screen wall and ceiling?

I gave no idea what I am doing here - Anyone got any opinions?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
surely this is a question for your missus isn't it? Unless she has given you carte blanche to do as you please, in which case kudos :)

I guess it depends on if you are bothered about getting the proper cinema feel, in which case dark colours are usually best to stop any light reflection, otherwise if you have blackout curtains it probably doesn't really matter, so just go with whatever you like the look of.

Norris Cole

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I was going to suggest acoustic paint, just as a bit of humour on a Thursday afternoon.

Then, I did a search for it and found that it does exist.

Now I feel depressed.

*shok*

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Any ambient light will dilute the blacks (the screen is white, the only way to get black is have no light). Backscatter from the screen will illuminate nearby walls, which in turn will reflect light back onto the screen.

Go for the darkest colour that is acceptable - ceilings as well. Matt black would be ideal, but is a bit oppressive.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Our TV test room has battleship-grey walls and black ceiling, but not sure that would go down too well in a domestic environment
regular_smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

As a professional painter & decorator, the only thing I would suggest is using matt paint, but not vinyl matt, as that still has a little sheen to it, and obviously use a dark colour. A deep plum would be nice I think, something like Plum Satin.

http://www.dulux.co.uk/shop/colours/reds/

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
hybridauth_facebook_670373973 said:
The Plum Satin looks class - thanks Bernard - what colour would you suggest for the ceiling?

Thanks again

For what its worth, I went with Farrow & Ball 'Rectory Red' which looks to be a very similar colour. It works well.

My Wife wouldn't let me paint the ceiling a dark colour and it does impact the quality of the picture. Go for as dark as you can.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

hybridauth_facebook_670373973 said:
The Plum Satin looks class - thanks Bernard - what colour would you suggest for the ceiling?

Thanks again

I'd agree with Andyjm, go as dark as possible.

Try here https://www.dulux.co.uk/shop/colour/plum_satin, and click on the 'which colours work with Plum Satin' link, then click through Toning to Accent. Personally, the Crushed Cotton 1 looks pretty good, but I'm not sure it's dark enough.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I just remembered, I used a Farrow & Ball colour once, which is similar to Plum Satin, but was deeper and darker, and was used in a recess on the wall behind their tv. It looked really good actually, but Farrow & Ball take the mickey with their paint prices, so it would cost a fair bit more than the Dulux.

http://www.farrow-ball.com/pelt/colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100254

TRENDING THREADS