Need ADVICE :) on buying a new CD PLAYER

sativa303

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks will keep this short, already typed this before but did not save/post :(

1st post, My name is Andy. I have a £200 budget and need a GOOD cd player. I already own a Cambridge Topaz AM5 amplifier and dont know what CD player to buy. I have heard bad and good and bad things about the Denon DCD720AE and also the Cambridge Topaz Cd10 ?.

I am not bothered about the name, I just want my money's worth, please advise people :)

Peace, Andy...

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Andy

I would say go for the Topaz CD10 as it should have good synergy with your amp. The only way to know for sure though is to try them together yourself.

James

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
If I were you I would not buy the Topaz or the Marantz 5004. I have found both to be unsatisfactory.

I owned a previous version of the 5004, maybe the 5003? A good point was it's solid build and efficient mechanism. However it sounded flat and lifeless and had to be replaced after 4 years under a warranty due to a humming transformer. It was replaced by a Topaz, which was the opposite in every way. It sounds better than the Marantz with better defined bass. However, mechanically it is poor. It takes an age to load discs, and will even take quite awhile to eject a disc. Worse, the loading mechanism is noisy, and every now and the it will hit a patch where the mechanism makes undue noise when playing and you have to eject the disc and start again. This is very irritating as it is in your mind every time you load a disc. A good number of internet reviews cite the same problem. As far as I can see the Cambridge 351 has a different loading system and so may well be ok in this regard. If I had my time over I would buy the Marantz cd6005 or the Cambridge 351, or, at the sub £200 level would try the denon or an Onkyo 7030, which is not pushed in uk markets but has excellent reviews from the states on Amazon.com.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I think Al nailed it with the Pioneer PD10. I did manage to bag an ex-demo Yamaha CDN500 for £200 which I believe to be head and shoulders above everything in your price bracket so it's worth exploring ex-dem stuff. Good luck!

sativa303

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys/info lads. Richer Sounds sells the Onkyo C7030 for £170 and the Pioneer PD10 for £180 ?.

I prefer the looks of the Onkyo and dont really need SACD which the PD10 offers. Sooooo, would you guys say I'm better going with the Onkyo ?.

Thanks, Andy.

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
playing devil's advocate but I got the Pioneer PD30 which is a big step up from the PD10 from Superfi for £229 (its listed for £249 but they will price match, in my case tribal uk on amazon). Looks cracking in silver

T

the record spot

sativa303 said:
Thanks for all the replys/info lads. Richer Sounds sells the Onkyo C7030 for £170 and the Pioneer PD10 for £180 ?.

I prefer the looks of the Onkyo and dont really need SACD which the PD10 offers. Sooooo, would you guys say I'm better going with the Onkyo ?.

Thanks, Andy.

The Onkyo would be a good choice. Lots of users on the Steve Hoffman forum who rate its' sound quality. Good price too.

sativa303

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi Lads;

I took the chance and bought the ONKYO C7030 (with a 5yr guarantee), so IF it sucks ass at least I have some sort of compensation.

I'm a noob and will probably spend loads over the years but it's nice to have good friendly non-impartial advice brothers :)

Will let u know wat I think, later peeps.............

Andy.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
When I get sufficiently fed up with the topaz I will get a replacement, and like you I don't need the SACD playback. I would be genuinely interested in how you find the Onkyo. Good luck with your purchase.

sativa303

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I am really pleased with my new Onkyo cd player. Build quality very good and soild. And as for the sound it sounds clear and have tested it with many different genres of music and have to say I am very impressed with it. Glad I went for this, later :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts