Need advice for new hi-fi

Fungus

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Hello everybody!

I begin with... I'm no expert in hi-fi, but I'm fed up of listening to music through my laptop speakers. I had a good quality stereo lots of years ago, I would love to go back having a proper equipment.

Unfortunately, I don't have a dedicated room where I can place the system, so I think it is no point to spend an huge amount of money on something that won't be exploited the right way.

I have read a lot in these week and i think the best solution for me would be an entry level.

Having said that, do you think this setup is well balanced? This is what I could test in various shops.

Amp: Onkyo A-9010 or Marantz PM6005
CD player: Marantz CD5005 or ONKYO C 7030
Turntable: Audio-Technica AT-LP120 or Argon TT2
Speakers: Dali Opticon 1 or Dali Zensor 5 or B&W 685 S2

I would like to connect the CD player through a coaxial cable.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, I must say you look a little like Ben Stiller

I am sure any or all of the list you made will be a nuce upgrade over your laptop speakers. I will say that if you want to connect your cd with a coaxial, it needs a coaxial out, and your amp needs a digital section, or if not you need a seperate dac.

This points to your Marantz PM6005 over the Onkyo (at least if it is the UK version). I think the marantz amp and cd are a good start. Others will give you recommendations on the other bits

insider9

Fungus said:
Hello everybody!

I begin with... I'm no expert in hi-fi, but I'm fed up of listening to music through my laptop speakers. I had a good quality stereo lots of years ago, I would love to go back having a proper equipment.

Unfortunately, I don't have a dedicated room where I can place the system, so I think it is no point to spend an huge amount of money on something that won't be exploited the right way.

I have read a lot in these week and i think the best solution for me would be an entry level.

Having said that, do you think this setup is well balanced? This is what I could test in various shops.

Amp: Onkyo A-9010 or Marantz PM6005 CD player: Marantz CD5005 or ONKYO C 7030 Turntable: Audio-Technica AT-LP120 or Argon TT2 Speakers: Dali Opticon 1 or Dali Zensor 5 or B&W 685 S2

I would like to connect the CD player through a coaxial cable.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks!

Hi Fungus, welcome to forum. I'm new here as well.

Not an expert here either but can relate. I've recently got Onkyo A9010 over the Marantz amps (listened to a few). If you're in the UK remember that the Onkyo sold here doesn't have any digital inputs as no dac is built in. Out of the two I'd certainly pick Onkyo as it's more musical to my ears. I didn't like the mid range of the Marantz, you might.

I paired Onkyo with Dali Zensors 3 (£400 at Richer Sounds) and if you're considering Zensor 5 I'd look into 3's sounds very good for entry level and depending on room size you might be happy enough with 3's at much lower price. In fact it's better value bookshelf than anything I've tried up to £650 (namely Monitor Audio Silver 2 at the top end). I have not tried Opticons though.

If you don't have to go the new route I'd suggest second hand market. You could do better than these or easily save yourself some money. I hope I'm not braking any forum rules by saying this but my Onkyo is available for sale and Zensor's are about to be as well. If you're in South Yorkshire or nearby feel free to contact me.

Fungus

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently living in the Netherlands and here the ONKYO comes with the coaxial output.

I had the q speakers in my wish list, but I cannot find them in shops, so I could not make any test.

So, amply seems ok, as well as the CD players. What about the turntable?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 108165

Fungus said:
I'm currently living in the Netherlands and here the ONKYO comes with the coaxial output.

I had the q speakers in my wish list, but I cannot find them in shops, so I could not make any test.

So, amply seems ok, as well as the CD players. What about the turntable?

Thanks

You need to audition both the Marantz and Onkyo, don't write either off at this point. Can't see why you are so intent on a digital input on the amp. As for turntable wait until you have sufficient funds available for one of the reasonable offerings from Pro-ject or Rega, (Debut Carbon or RP3 minimum), don't try vinyl replay on the cheap. Fortunately both the amps in your shortlist have phono connections for a turntable.

Fungus

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Strange thing happened. I've been in a shop and the assistant told me the ONKYO a9010 could not be paired with b&w 685 s2 because the amply is not enough powerful.

Is that true? I find it really strange...

Fungus said:
Strange thing happened. I've been in a shop and the assistant told me the ONKYO a9010 could not be paired with b&w 685 s2 because the amply is not enough powerful.

Is that true? I find it really strange...

I'd advise you to find another shop... ;-)

It's called the 'get the customer to spend more money' ploy. Avoid dealers like this.

rainsoothe

Hi. Any reason you're not considering an active setup? Something like fully upgraded Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 with Adam A7x or A5x (or F7 or F5). Use a cheap Sony bluray with digital out as CD transport. Audio Technica LP5 if you don't need DJ-ing, which the lp120 is for.

You get more bang for the buck with actives, with this kind of budget.

If you're still set on passives, look at Nad stuff - C326 sounds way better to me then Marantz. And it works well with Dali. But with Dali Zensor, I'd stick with their standmounts, the floorstanders have a pretty flabby bass.

Fungus

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I also thought it was strange, as some hours before I tested the same speakers in another shop with an amply of the same power, only more expensive (it was a nad).

I don't know if I have to consider other parameters when coupling speakers with amply. In case, let me know.

I tried the q audio speakers, but they did not impress me. They sounds good, but I prefer the two in my list. Personal taste.

Anyway, considering what is sold in shops and what is on sale, I might go with this setup:

Amp: Onkyo A-9010
CD player: ONKYO C 7030
Turntable: Audio-Technica AT-LP120 or Argon TT2 or Pro-jet debut
Speakers: Dali Opticon 1 or B&W 685 S2

What do you think? Is it a balanced setup?

Thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Why not consider something like QAcoustics BT3?

Great reviews (internationally) and a space saving but versatile solution, especially if most/all of your music is ripped/stored on your media devices.

No boxes, good sound, great looks.

I have to say personally I would rather go that way than entry level separates. You may feel different.

Fungus

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Uhm, I'm not sure I got what the maverick does. Should I pair it with an amply?

The QAcustic active speakers seems nice, but it's not what I have in mind. I should buy a turntable and a CD player anyway.

But, thanks for the ideas!

Today I was proposed this alternative setup, what do you think?

Ampli: Cambridge audio sr20
Cd: Cambridge audio CD 05
Speakers: b&w 685 s2
Turntable: pro-jet debut

Although I myself happily use a CD player (transport to be exact), in your circumstances I would choose between CD and LP sources. To be more precise, I wouldn't bother myself with buying a CD player. I would couple a turntable, if you insist on a record player, with the UK version of Onkyo DACless amplifier, which features a decent phono stage and a mini-jack AUX input. Any remaining CDs in your collection I would then rip using a laptop and I would store them on some NAS (even if in form of the said laptop), from where music would be streamed with the use of Google Chromecast audio connected to the Onkyo's mini-jack AUX input. So: ProJect turntable, Google Chromecast audio and Onkyo.

Dariusz A said:
Although I myself happily use a CD player (transport to be exact), in your circumstances I would choose between CD and LP sources. To be more precise, I wouldn't bother myself with buying a CD player. I would couple a turntable, if you insist on a record player, with the UK version of Onkyo DACless amplifier, which features a decent phono stage and a mini-jack AUX input. Any remaining CDs in your collection I would then rip using a laptop and I would store them on some NAS (even if in form of the said laptop), from where music would be streamed with the use of Google Chromecast audio connected to the Onkyo's mini-jack AUX input. So: ProJect turntable, Google Chromecast audio and Onkyo.

If the guy wants a CD player then don't try to disuade him. We don't know where in the world he is so ripping them to a NAS might not be a reliable idea.

Nor are active speakers unless power supplies of good quality..

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
that he is currently in Holland. If that implies he's going to remain there, I've no idea...

As for dissuading him from getting a CD player, who's it for us to say? But I am going to do an Al Ears here and ask what the deal is regarding a turntable? Does the OP have a vinyl collection already in the place where he's struggling to set up and utilise a seperates system? Vinyl, the records themselves are expensive, I'd reckon about an average of £18 for a new release or reissue... not forgetting about the cost of the turntable itself, pre amp if required... I'd suggest putting that last on your shopping list unless you have a vinyl collection at hand.

I'd agree with the other forum members that say explore the active route, better VFM plus better performance than a budget passive set up. You can still employ a turntable if your heart is set on it, just get a suitable phono preamp. I do this myself like many others.

If you'd said to me about 18 months ago consider an active system I would have instantly dismissed this as my only previous run in with actives was a pair of cheap desk top M-Audio speakers. If you've not been exposed to what the active route can offer then I'd suggest you at least look into it before making your final puchasing decision. Just to be clear this is not me knocking all passive systems or any of that nonsense but with limited budget actives are the way to go for best performance I believe.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I don't think anyone is really trying to push their ideas here by suggesting active gear even though OP says it wasn't what they were thinking about. Sometimes it's ok to suggest something different just to emphasise there is another option that maybe had not been considered.

I think there is a lot of good suggestions here, but I think that using a streaming option as your primary means is only ok if you have a backup. This is down to personal opinion and the fact that my internet is iffy. Using a Chromecast is great when it works but can be quite intermittent at times, when I can then put on a CD

rainsoothe

Fungus said:
Uhm, I'm not sure I got what the maverick does. Should I pair it with an amply?

The QAcustic active speakers seems nice, but it's not what I have in mind. I should buy a turntable and a CD player anyway.

But, thanks for the ideas!

Today I was proposed this alternative setup, what do you think?

Ampli: Cambridge audio sr20 Cd: Cambridge audio CD 05 Speakers: b&w 685 s2 Turntable: pro-jet debut

The Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 is a DAC and preamp, which also has 1 (or 2) analogue inputs (which you can plug your turntable into). It's a fancy and versatile solution of controling the volume on an active setup, while giving you the flexibility of plugging in several sources. Again, the studio monitors will easily outperform passive speakers in this price range. BUT if you're unsure about this, then just go for a passive setup, nothing wrong with that.

As for the CA setup, you really have to audition for yourself. Take your time and audition as much stuff as you can, preferably in your home. Your own ears are king, we are only making suggestions, but ultimately it's you who has to enjoy the presentation. I don't like Cambridge Audio entry level stuff (haven't heard 851 range), but I like the CXN quite a lot - it would be my go to if I had to downgrade. CA stuff tends to sound bright, and the 685 s2 don't partner it well - again, for MY ears.

Also, I'd give the Audio Technica LP5 a listen as well, I listened to a Project RPM 5 (I think that's what it's called) and it was hummy and build seemed pretty flimsy to me.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
avole said:
what do the words "not what I had in mind" mean?

You must take into account what people actually want.

with your smug attitude! When you do actually listen to people on here?!
ypu're the one who is smug. You should learn to understand what people want, not what you think they want. That smacks of arrogance. People have different views, respect that.

Here endeth rhe lesson :)

Fungus

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, this Maverick DAC seems interesting, but does not seem what I'm looking. But thanks again for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.

Regarding the amplifier, I tested it at the shop and, to my ears, it sounded great with the b&w. More or less how they sounded when I tested them with a nad. But the real test will be at home.

I think I'll take the Cambridge audio set, but I won't take the power cables the vendor proposed me (and save 140€). Do you think it is really necessary to have special power cables?

Thanks.

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Fungus said:
Well, this Maverick DAC seems interesting, but does not seem what I'm looking. But thanks again for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.

Regarding the amplifier, I tested it at the shop and, to my ears, it sounded great with the b&w. More or less how they sounded when I tested them with a nad. But the real test will be at home.

I think I'll take the Cambridge audio set, but I won't take the power cables the vendor proposed me (and save 140€). Do you think it is really necessary to have special power cables?

Thanks.

I was just about to say that the cambridge & BW685 S2 combo is a very nice musical system, and would be my choice too. As for expensive power cables, don't do it at this price. Unless you have a lot of interference on your power where you live, you might want to get an extension cable with a line filter build in, but most amplifier power inputs have some basic filtration.

You will gain far more in investing in slightly better speaker cables, but don't go silly with that. Cables up to about 10 euro per meter are more than good enough for this basic system. Spend the change on going out for a nice meal or expand your music collection, with a nice bottle of wine!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Fungus, can I just comment on your choice of coaxial output from CD to amp?

I would recommend trying both coaxial and RCA analogue outputs and choose whichever is better. You might find that the DAC in a budget CD player is superior to the DAC in a budget amplifier. In my own case, my analogue inputs on my AV receiver are inferior to the digital inputs and DAC, so it was better for me to use the optical output of my CD, but in your situation you may find that the analogue inputs may be better.

Fungus

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
At the end I decided to get this setup

Ampli: Cambridge audio sr20 Cd: Cambridge audio CD 05 Speakers: b&w 685 s2 Turntable: pro-jet debut

I am quite happy, but I have a major issue with the CD player: I have discovered that the Cambridge Audio Topaz CD5 (like its big brother CD10) adds a gap between tracks. This may not be a problem with many cds, but when I'm listening to concerts or cds with songs links together, I can really hear the blank pause.

I don't know what to do: should I return it and get another player or I keep it? My other options would be:

NAD C 516BEE or ONKYO C 7030 or Marantz CD5005, which are in the same pricerange. The problem is that I would lose the match design with the ampli.

What's your advice?

confused_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts